Olight S15 (XM-L2, 1xAA/2xAA/3xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

LlF

Newly Enlightened
So it's more like the one in zebra light?
Sorry, the only electronic switch I know is zebras headlamp. And Felix side switch.
To me the zebra light feels like a mouse click, plus a layer of rubber.
What about console controller?

(via Tapatalk)

Teppos

Newly Enlightened
Great review :thumbsup:

Just ordered one. Hopefully I get mine in a couple of weeks.

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened
sb, I don't know if I should thank you or hate you for your reviews (my wallet is always empty because of you). Rrrrr... I think I finally thank you very much sir for enlightened me :)

I have a question about S15 UI. I noticed if I use a single alkaline AA (1,5V) or NiMH Eneloop XX (1,2V), my flashlight runs in only two main modes (low and medium) plus moonlight. If I use a single 14500 Li-Ion (Nitecore or Eagletac, 3,7V and 750mAh), S15 runs at low, med and high plus moonlight. If I add an extender, the flashlight runs properly in all three main modes plus moonlight, using two alkaline AA or two NiMH. Is that normally for S15 or my sample is crapped? I mention I have Ti version.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have a question about S15 UI. I noticed if I use a single alkaline AA (1,5V) or NiMH Eneloop XX (1,2V), my flashlight runs in only two main modes (low and medium) plus moonlight. If I use a single 14500 Li-Ion (Nitecore or Eagletac, 3,7V and 750mAh), S15 runs at low, med and high plus moonlight. If I add an extender, the flashlight runs properly in all three main modes plus moonlight, using two alkaline AA or two NiMH. Is that normally for S15 or my sample is crapped? I mention I have Ti version.
Do you mean to say that there is no Hi mode in the sequence, or that the Hi mode is no different in output than the Med mode? If the former, that is certainly different from mine. If the latter, I could possibly see that for alkaline (or a partially drained cell). Here is my output summary table, from the review:

S15-Lumens.gif

A partially drained alkaline is unlikely to look very different on Hi or Med - but there should still be distinct modes. All other battery configs should be visibly different.

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, there is no Hi mode in the sequence. Yesterday I tested other S15 Ti version (only two samples here in Romania) and runs in the same way. I think UI is different for Ti version than "regular" one. Maybe other owners of Ti could confirm that?

Impulses

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if the S15 usually still comes with the 2xAA extender tube or if that was just a temp promo? I know my best bet would be to ask the vendor but Amazon marketplace vendors aren't usually the most responsive so I figured I'd ask around.

I recently decided to stop buying crappy lights, and I've bought a ton of then over the years... So I just bought an SC52 and wanted something longer lasting for certain occasions; I was between a Foursevens Quark, the S15, and a Sunwayman D40A. Eventually settled on the D40A but I'm still thinking of getting the S15 either for the car or general use around the house... Based on Selfbuilt's review it'd have to be with the 2x tube for sheer efficiency, the rest of the household would probably find the longer tube more familiar anyway.

It seems like a pretty good value, even if I have to get the tube separate, still cheaper than the Quark and the only advantage I'm seeing for the latter is the brief turbo ramp up and it doesn't seem like it's even significantly higher. Just a shame that the S15 lacks any kind of battery voltage indicator, that would easily make it a great choice for household use (at least from my perspective, easier to keep fresh cells in it before others start whining or reaching for the alkalines). Part of the appeal of the appeal for the other lights I've gotten.

What do CPF denziens typically get for less used scenarios like backup light for the car etc? I guess $40 is probably a bit much for something that'll see infrequent use but the suitable alternatives I'm looking at would still run me $30-ish (Fenix E21 off Ebay, 47s Quark Mini off Amazon...), so what the heck... :shrug:

Redstorm

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if the S15 usually still comes with the 2xAA extender tube or if that was just a temp promo? I know my best bet would be to ask the vendor but Amazon marketplace vendors aren't usually the most responsive so I figured I'd ask around. .

I bought mine from ebay and received it yesterday and it came with the 2xAA extender. From my browsing on the website, it didn't seem to be a temp promotion, at least there was no indication that the extender is part of a promotion. Most of the sellers indicated the inclusion of the extender while a few were without.

zeitnah

Newly Enlightened
Hi selfbuilt, thanks for your great review on the S15. This review has in fact convinced me to purchase one. I received mine earlier today and have been playing with it ever since.
So far I'm pretty happy with the light except for one odd observation I've made. Despite all different modes working as they should, the moonlight mode remains unseen. I've tested the light in very dark rooms and cannot see the slightest hint of light when moonlight is on (or rather should be on). Has anybody experienced a similar behaviour on a S15? I've tried different NiMH's without success.

btw. This is my first comment on the forum so HI, EVERYBODY!

Regards, Peter

Last edited:

Redstorm

Newly Enlightened
Hi selfbuilt, thanks for your great review on the S15. This review has in fact convinced me to purchase one. I received mine earlier today and have been playing with it ever since.
So far I'm pretty happy with the light except for one odd observation I've made. Despite all different modes working as they should, the moonlight mode remains unseen. I've tested the light in very dark rooms and cannot see the slightest hint of light when moonlight is on (or rather should be on). Has anybody experienced a similar behaviour on a S15? I've tried different NiMH's without success.

btw. This is my first comment on the forum so HI, EVERYBODY!

Regards, Peter

Now that you mentioned it, I also realised that there is no moonlight mode on my S15. I tested it and also discovered that there are actually only 3 modes - Lo, Med & High. So, I wonder where is the so called "moonlight" mode.

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened
Now that you mentioned it, I also realised that there is no moonlight mode on my S15. I tested it and also discovered that there are actually only 3 modes - Lo, Med & High. So, I wonder where is the so called "moonlight" mode.

For moonlight mode, being in off status you must press and hold the side switch for two seconds. This is available for S10 and S20 too

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So far I'm pretty happy with the light except for one odd observation I've made. Despite all different modes working as they should, the moonlight mode remains unseen. I've tested the light in very dark rooms and cannot see the slightest hint of light when moonlight is on (or rather should be on).
:welcome:

As AbbyY said, you only access it by a sustained press from Off. Does your light not do this?