Olympics!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The athlete I'm rooting for most is Michael Phelps (swimming) - he's on track to win more medals than anybody previous.
In this Olympiad, he already set a new world record in one of the swimmimg events. :thumbsup:
GO PHELPS!!!

That relay race that they (him included) won last night was incredible! He's on track to win more GOLD medals than anybody, ever. Additionally, if he ties Mark Spitz's record of 7 golds in one Olympics, Speedo is giving him $1,000,000! (he has a chance for 8)

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go Australia sports! And Japan Judo! hehehe

Go Japan! I saw the gymnastics qualifications, enjoyed it a lot. I do have to agree with Bela Karolyi's commentary on the new scoring system. Yes, I know he's picky when it comes to gymnastics scoring, but this one time he made a few good points. I'm glad both the US men's and women's teams are doing well, hopefully they will get the team gold.:twothumbs

I'm also rooting for Japan, too.:cool:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice showing for the Mens' Gymnastics Team, Bronze.
Not bad at all for loosing Paul and Morgan. Loosing them really brought down our potential scores. The rest of the guys really stepped up; too bad they had to falter a bit at the end, but they managed to stay in the third place spot.

If only the NBC commentators would SHUT UP! Not only are they annoying, but what they sometimes is an opinion at best, downright misleading and incorrect one one comment tonight. :shakehead Sorry /rant

Oh and Go Phelps! I concur! USA Swimming is definitely doing great today/tonight.

I find I've been curiously interested by the archery competitions. Anyway off to watch some Judo! NBCOlympics.com has been doing a (surprisingly) decent job of webcasting the "less popular" :ironic: sports live as well as making available full event replays.

I think NBCOlympics has a recording of the opening ceremonies available, and I've found a great copy (w/o American commentators) on the torrents.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice showing for the Mens' Gymnastics Team, Bronze.
Not bad at all for loosing Paul and Morgan. Loosing them really brought down our potential scores. The rest of the guys really stepped up; too bad they had to falter a bit at the end, but they managed to stay in the third place spot.

If only the NBC commentators would SHUT UP! Not only are they annoying, but what they sometimes is an opinion at best, downright misleading and incorrect one one comment tonight. :shakehead Sorry /rant

Oh and Go Phelps! I concur! USA Swimming is definitely doing great today/tonight.

Sorry but I gotta rant on this one, lol.

I couldn't agree with you more on the commentators, especially during gymnastics. It's sad that they shamelessly chastise certain teams. A lot of the things they said tonight were in fact misleading; for example they made it seem as if Japan was literally falling flat on their faces during competition. They couldn't have been more wrong, their team got the silver medal for crying out loud.:ohgeez:

I also noticed during Women's Qualifications how they criticized the entire Romanian gymnastics team based on the performance of one gymnast. Wow.:green:

One more thing, the broadcast I was watching claimed to be "Live"- it wasn't. I googled the gymnastics results before the "Live" broadcast ever ended.:thinking: False advertising?:shrug:

End of NBC rant, I had to get that out of my system. Otherwise the awesome performances by the gymnasts more than made up for the @#$%$# reporting.:p

Go Phelps! Here's to getting those 8 gold medals (or was it 9?)!!!:twothumbs And here's to the US Women's gymnastics team to getting a team Gold!

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Great watching. Phelps will set career and single olympics gold that no one will ever reach....although they said that about Mark Spitz. Phelps seems like a very cool guy, whereas Spitz was a total knob.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
GO PHELPS! He is rockin' that gold medal podium!

If only the NBC commentators would SHUT UP!

You kind of got your wish tonight. While China was finishing their women's gymnastics floor routine, they didn't utter a word.:twothumbs I feel bad for the US team (I wanted them to win gold), but oh boy was I happy when they stopped talking!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have to give China a lot of credit for their accomplishments. This is the first Olympics in a long time that is pretty interesting to watch parts of it. Also interesting to click on the events that China is winning gold in. A lot of less notariety sports.

Phelps is like a Cyborg.

tygger

Enlightened
Phelps is an amazing athlete. However, there seems to be many more medal opportunities in swimming than other events. Seems a bit unbalanced. Surely someone like Lebron James is equally as talented as Phelps, yet they don't give out medals after every basketball game or for most offensive rebounds, best 3 pt. shooting, etc.

ShOgUn_LI

Newly Enlightened
if any of you guys are into judo like me, abut missed some of the matches; you can usually find it on JudoVision. It usually goes up the day after the day of the actual match

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phelps is an amazing athlete. However, there seems to be many more medal opportunities in swimming than other events. Seems a bit unbalanced. Surely someone like Lebron James is equally as talented as Phelps, yet they don't give out medals after every basketball game or for most offensive rebounds, best 3 pt. shooting, etc.

Track & Field is another event with many opportunities, which is the reason Carl Lewis is one of the other few people with 9 golds. But it's hard to discredit Michael Phelps. How many back to back games could Lebron play and still be on top? Surely, basketball players get tired after one game. If he had to play another, just 50 minutes after the first, would he be ready? That's part of the huge Michael Phelps accomplishment. He's swimming so many events and, yet, his muscles are still performing at maximum. Anyway, Lebron is unable to make an individual effort, as basketball is a team sport. Plus, Lebron is ultra rich--he don't need no stinking medals! (movie reference)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Winning the most medals of any person in history is not a matter of talent. It is a reflection of genetics, and an unimaginable amount of regular hard work and sacrifice. If you take the time to learn about what someone like him has done leading up to this Olympics (or Lance Armstrong in his Tour de France as another example) you would realize there is no comparison to the dedication, time, and work put in by any basketball player, however good.

Lebron James LMAO? At least pick someone like Michael Jordan, Shaq, Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabar, or Bill Russel to try and make a case.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
...snip... If you take the time to learn about what someone like him has done leading up to this Olympics (or Lance Armstrong in his Tour de France as another example) you would realize there is no comparison to the dedication, time, and work put in by any basketball player, however good.

...snip....

I got to meet an olympic gold medalist a couple of times (came into the bike shop that used to be in my neighborhood to show the owner the gold - the owner had been the head of USCF youth development), and he talked about his training routine. Mind you, everyone in the room was a "club rider" except for me. (I was just below that level). The workouts he talked about were amazing, and we were invited to a casual "OK, I won the olympics a week ago, I can relax for a week or two" training day.

BOGGLE is the word for how HARD he works

With Philips, he says he basically does 3 things in his life. Train, EAT, sleep, and that's the way it's been for years (guy eats like 12000 calories a day, every day - now look at his body - NO fat. That means he's BURNING 12000 calories a day....)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I got to meet an olympic gold medalist a couple of times (came into the bike shop that used to be in my neighborhood to show the owner the gold - the owner had been the head of USCF youth development), and he talked about his training routine. Mind you, everyone in the room was a "club rider" except for me. (I was just below that level). The workouts he talked about were amazing, and we were invited to a casual "OK, I won the olympics a week ago, I can relax for a week or two" training day.

BOGGLE is the word for how HARD he works

With Philips, he says he basically does 3 things in his life. Train, EAT, sleep, and that's the way it's been for years (guy eats like 12000 calories a day, every day - now look at his body - NO fat. That means he's BURNING 12000 calories a day....)
I guess you mean the now defunct Kissena Cycles. And yes, it boggles the mind how much these pros work. I recently put a second bike computer which calculates calories on one of my bikes. A fairly long, hard workout for me is a 25 mile or so ride, generally taking about 1.5 hours, depending upon traffic/road conditions. And I'm usually pretty spent afterwards. The calorie counter tells me this is perhaps 1300 or 1400 calories. Add in another 2500 or so just for basic metabolism. I'm hard pressed to burn 4000 calories on a good cycling day, and these pros burn 12000! I doubt my body could physically do that much work day in and day out, to say nothing of the mental discipline required to train/eat/sleep. In my mind, these guys earn every penny of their endorsements and every ounce of their gold medals.

BTW, speaking of local cycling, they finally repaved 73rd Avenue from Utopia through the Clearview. About time if you ask me-it was like riding on the moon for the last few years.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Yep, Kissina Cycles. Al was a heck of a guy. I was one of the gang that knew that the offical store hours were not the "real" hours. Go back around 9:00 -9:15 at night and the front gate would be up, and everyone who just got back from their road ride would be hanging out. I was in the "ride 20 miles or so" every night class, and if I missed, Al wanted to know why...

RE 73rd
Yeah, I saw. My son plays soccer over on the fields on 73rd, so I'm over there all the time. Heck, I'm within a couple of blocks of you 2-3 times a week. My daughter goes to a writing tutor on 190th and 73rd

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still can't believe Michael Phelps eats 10,000-12,000 calories a day!:huh: I believe that's more than what a Seal recruit consumes during BUD/S training!

Most people who eat that much usually become obese. It goes to show just how much energy he burns every day.:crazy: