Osram Oslon SSL80?

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Anyone tried one? The 80 degree viewing angle interests me, for low lumen, high lux thrower applications.

Cheers

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had Vihn54 put a 95cri / 4000k Oslon in my HDS. It throws like the 120 lumen Osram but obviously with a much higher cri. It has a very beautiful, natural tint which is consistent across the beam. No rings or other color distortions. It's only putting out about 100-120 lumens on high which is what I expected. It seems to keep it's temperature at lower levels quite well.

I would say it compares well with a 4000k Nichia 219 but at least in the HDS there are no rings with the Osram and while probably subjective, I think it produces slightly better colors. I would say that anyone wanting to upgrade their hds with a Nichia would be better off with the Oslon. The beam is tighter, cleaner, higher cri, and the output appears the same, though the differences are minute.

Last edited:

djozz

Newly Enlightened
I have a 4000K 96CRI SSL-80 in a small zoomie (sk68 clone), and can agree on the beautiful light it produces.
The 80deg emitting angle is advantageous in a zoomie because there's much less light loss when zoomed in, in fact it throws almost like a cool white XP-E in the same light, while zoomed out it produces less light.