Over Voltage?

ome

Newly Enlightened
I had my Thorfire TK15 as my daily carry. I've been only using 18650 for it. One day I saw a pair of AW 18350s 3.7V.

Searched Thorfire's range and it could accept up to 9V. I pluged them in and it lit up. I only tried it for approx 3 seconds before I turned it off. It satisfied my curiosity. I went back to 18650 right after.

Today, it won't turn on anymore. Did i fry it? Is this a total loss?

Thank you.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Very likely damaged the driver, I`v seen it happen a few times with AA lights being given a 14500 batt, it`ll work 90% of the time without a problem until you try using it with an AA batt again and it won`t work.
have you re tried with the 9v thing again, it Might work but it will mean you`ve damaged your driver for sure.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a 2x123 light that worked fine on 2x123 batteries and was said to also work on a 16650. I inserted a 17650 and it worked fine. Trouble was it no longer worked properly on 2x123's anymore but would prompt to low after a few seconds.
So…… I keep a 17650 in it now.

It reminded me of the guy who raised his arm and told his doctor "it hurts when I do this" and the doctor replied "well don't do that anymore".

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Conflicting from manual to site. Not sure what's going on here. Disregard

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
According to the thorefiredirect web site "When voltage is above 8.4volt, circuit triggers high voltage protection".

Sounds like bad info based on the OP's experience... then again, I would never trust info from a -------Fire manufacturer.... other than actual SureFire of course.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
> Thorfire TK15

sorry for your loss

it is not your fault
online specs say you did not exceed voltage

if its any consolation, maybe you got your moneys worth for the amount of time it worked.
That was an inexpensive, Low CRI light.. there are many similar options. You could do better.

Is this a total loss?

yes,
however,
from another perspective

It is an opportunity to upgrade :)

Spend some quality time shopping online
Imagine yourself happy, with a brand new light!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The website says up to 8.4 volts, but the manual says 2-CR123 batteries "BANNED"
According to the thorefiredirect web site "When voltage is above 8.4volt, circuit triggers high voltage protection".

Sounds like bad info based on the OP's experience... then again, I would never trust info from a -------Fire manufacturer.... other than actual SureFire of course.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The website says up to 8.4 volts, but the manual says 2-CR123 batteries "BANNED"

Yeah, 2 regular (non rechargeable) CR123 batteries would give only about 6.4v. So, he definitely fried his driver if he tried it with 8.4v.

It sounds like the real upper voltage limit for that light should be listed as 4.2v. Oh well, they're not great lights anyway.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Confirmed.. the website is wrong, and

the manual is correct..

the driver gets "banned" for using two batteries

imo, never use two batteries in a light,
even if the driver survives
there are risks related to mismatched batteries...

Last edited: