P4 or Swiss-Tech?

sotyakr

Enlightened
Well, I was all ready to plunk down my $24 on a Leatherman P4. Then I decided to do a little more shopping. Now I'm thinking of getting the Swiss-Tech MicroPlus/UtiliKey combo. Costco has had them for a while in Gold Ti-Nitride selling for $20, which seems like a pretty good deal. I realize there are fundamental differences in design between the two, just looking for any input/opinions. BTW, I don't think I'm interested in the SeberTech's. Thanks!

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, that's strange - I saw them at Costco a week ago, but they seem to have disappeared! Check your Costco... As for your tool selection - I love my S4 I got at Costco - nice, compact, and has everything.

Dan

sotyakr

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
logicnerd411 said:
Hmm, that's strange - I saw them at Costco a week ago, but they seem to have disappeared! Check your Costco...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess like so many things at Costco, inventory varies by store. The stores in my area still have Swiss-Techs in stock.

The P4 or SwissTech will only be for a small EDC. I already use a Pulse as an EDC at work.

gyverpete

Enlightened
I've EDC'ed Microtech plus for about 4 years now. It has gotten alot of use, especially the large screwdrivers. It's compact and latches on to a keyring securely. It's very rigid. It's made of hardened steel, which is very tough, but surface-rusts a bit. The pliers are small but have been effective none-the-less.

I got the Utilikey 6 months ago. I EDC it but it never gets used since its functions are redundant of the other tools I carry. However, it's small, barely noticeable, so I continue to EDC it "just in case". This tool also rusts a tiny bit, though it's 420/440 stainless (I think). The half-serrated knife is pretty aggressive. It's a bit hard to open. Be careful when opening and using the tool as it's easy to cut yourself because of its design and size.

I bought a P4 for $15 at Walmart on clearance a couple of months ago. I EDC it. It's well made, and very compact. The pliers are very narrow. The tools don't lock but snap into position smartly. More features than the Swisstech, yet not much bigger by volume.

So the Microtech plus and P4 are both nice. The Utlikey is so-so but small enough to take anywhere. It depends on your expected uses and preference of functions. I say GET EM' ALL! But that's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I agree about the Sebertech. They're not as good as the Swisstech IMO. Lower quality and reports of breakage.

SAK

Newly Enlightened
I have EDC'ed both the Micro-Plus and the Utili-Key for quite a while.

I like Utili-Key because I ALWAYS have it with me (except at the airport).

I like the concept and design of the Micro-Plus with one exception: The steel does not seem hard enough. The nibs of the Phillips head get chewed up with use. If I could get a harder version I would love this tool. The small drivers come in handy and, like gyverpeter said, the pliers are very effective for their size.

Every time I go to Costco the new Ti-Ni pack is a problem (look – shiny things – must buy).

sotyakr

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Got a bad feeling I won't be happy without both. My keychain is starting to look like a hardware store (Arc AAA LE, Spyderco LBK II both on MiniClips, car remote and oh yeah, keys. Almost forgot, I've also got a Micra around here somewhere.

Guess there's nothing wrong with a "Flavor of the Day" multitool to go with assorted flashlights and knives. Fortunately, Target's $24 price on the P4 is supposed to last through September. Looks like I'll have a reason to make another Costco trip soon!

ewick

Enlightened
I had a Swiss-Tech MicroTech until I found a P4 at Target. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never even looked at the Swiss-Tech.

Here's the problem, assuming the MicroPlus operates in the exact same manner as the MicroTech (kind of hard to describe, so bear with me): The MicroTech relies on the pliers being closed in order to remain secured on your keyring. And the pliers will remain fully closed if the "grips" of the pliers are folded back parallel to the body of the tool. But if the "grips" are shifted to a position other than parallel with the tool, the jaws of the pliers can open, and the tool will fall off the keyring. Other than that, it still makes a great paperweight.

On the other hand, the P4 has, so far, been outstanding. Very well made, slick design, small size, etc. The tools don't lock in place, but they don't lock with the MicroTech either. I paid $24 for my P4 as well, and it was money well-spent.

gyverpete

Enlightened
SAK,
about the hardness of the microtech. The original one I bought about 4 years ago,my EDC, has no damage to any of the screwdriver tips and it has been used ALOT.
However, I recently bought two extra ones because they were on sale for $10. I tried one of them today, after reading your post, and the phillips got chewed up a bit on mine too! It may be that they are cutting corners by using a softer steel now, or skipping a step, though they are still advertising the use of "4650 hardened steel". I'll have to try the other one to confirm my suspicions. Also, I noticed on the my original, right on the tool, it says made in the USA, whereas the new one says made in China, on the card.

If it turns out that they are using a softer steel, and not saying so, I won't buy them anymore. And I won't recommend them either. Too bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif They lowered their standards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I'm going to call them and get the scoop on the quality situation.

ewick, on a positive note, mine has never fallen off accidentally. Yours may have had loose handles, I guess.

(EDIT)I noticed just now that they have a new stainless steel version, for the same price. I wonder if it's better than the current black steel one. I wish I had bought extras when they were still TOUGH.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Bought the P4 today at Target and yes it is still on sale. I like it mucho. I put it through its paces by applying some pretty good muscle on some screws today. Felt solid, pretty good grip. I believe this is a keeper.

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gyverpete said:
However, I recently bought two extra ones because they were on sale for $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi 'pete,
where is this $10 sale?

BTW, check out the swiss-army website. It looks updated to me and there is a multi-tool by the name of mini bear jaw which looks like the size and shape of the micra. Anybody here has it and tried it out.

gyverpete

Enlightened
rajanf1,

I bought them about two months ago at OfficeMax. I also got the Utilikey for $10. I went back a week later for something else and they were gone. Apparently a limited offer. But if you have an Officemax store near you, it might be worth trying. They were next to the registers, you know, "impulse-buy items".

I paid $20 for my original one, at Eastern Mountain Sports, so $10 was a bargain. I'm a little disappointed that the steel isn't as tough as on my original one, even though the package indicated it would be. I hope it turns out to just be a defective unit, and that they normally are still as durable as they once were. I'll post again when I find out.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I love my P4 and always carry it. The pliers and wirecutter have enough leverage to work well. Never had a Swiss-Tech, but the Sebertech I used to have didn't work well. The pliers were useless.

RevDavid

Enlightened
I keep the Swiss Tech on my key ring (and the utilikey, both in gold titanium nitride) and so far I have liked it for EDC. For anything where I know ahead of time I might really need something, (Like a long car trip) I would carry my Leatherman Wave.
David <><

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the original SwissTech Micro-Tech tool and the P4, the Swiss-Tech gets EDC'd. I really like them both though. The P4 only has one feature that I don't much care for....it's their phillips screw driver. It's flat, and is not very good for loosening fairly tight screws. My Swiss-Tech does a better job as it has a regular size/shape phillips screw driver. The P4 would twist or break on some of the screws I've removed with the Swiss-Tech.

But the P4 has a few extras that the Swiss-Tech Micro-Tool doesn't. So all things considered, the P4 probably has a slight edge in overall functionality.

I keep a full size original Leatherman in one truck and a full size Gerber multi in the other truck.

I also have a little Sebertool M2.....it's junk and would not recommend it.

SAK

Newly Enlightened
gyverpete,

Were you able to do any follow-up on the hardness issue? This tool would be perfect if it wasn't so soft.

Thanks,

--SAK