Panasonic CR123A 3.0V Lithium Battery ?

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get these Panasonic batteries from a friend cheap are they any good to use in flashlights or only camera's ?

I read the following about another brand of battery that had PTC protection and I am not sure if these Panasonic ones do.

"The battery incorporates PTC protection (a type of thermal fuse). The protected CR123A batteries prevent excessive discharge that can damage devices."

[FONT=&quot]What do you guys think any good should I use them ?
Thanks for any advice.

[/FONT]

afdk

Newly Enlightened
These are Primary lithium cells, they don't need protection. Only rechargeable cells/batteries might have a protection circuit.

hoongern

Enlightened
These are Primary lithium cells, they don't need protection. Only rechargeable cells/batteries might have a protection circuit.

All [quality] primary CR123s should have PTC protection. This is different from a protection circuit.

Panasonic makes decent cells - you should be fine with them. Afaik, their CR123s are also rebranded and used by other reputable brands. In fact, I think many of the CR123 brands on the market are manufactured made by Panasonic. (not too sure - someone else can probably confirm this)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rat, Panasonic CR123A cells are one of the best cells available. Premium quality CR123A cells are made in both the U.S. and Japan (Sanyo's are also made in Japan and are considered top notch, as well). The one and only plant in the U.S.A. (which is owned by Panasonic) that manufactures CR123A cells, also makes Duracell, Battery Station, as well as all other "made in U.S.A." CR123A cells, to the customers specification. All of these cells are considered "premium" cells, however their exact characteristics may be slightly different due to the customer's specific requests.

One problem that appears unfortunately, are "counterfeit" Panasonic cells that have shown up in some places, such as ebay. Generally, if the price of quality CR123A cells seems "too good to be true", they are most likely counterfeit cells, and should be avoided. So depending on where your friend purchased the cells he has, they may be genuine cells, or they may not.

All lithium primary cells and lithium ion cells should have a PTC. A "PTC" is a "Positive Thermal Coefficient" device, and is a requirement needed to meet shipping safety regulations before lithium, or lithium ion cells can be shipped. Many of the inexpensive Chinese CR123A, and Li-Ion cells do not have the required PTC installed, however. This includes nearly all of the counterfeit cells I mentioned above. These cells are potentially dangerous.

It is also important to note that a "PTC' is an entirely different device than a "PCB' (printed circuit board), or "protection circuit" which has been added to Li-Ion cells by third parties (manufacturers of Li-Ion cells do not manufacture individual Li-Ion cells with PCB protection circuits), which adds protection from under and over voltage of Li-Ion cells when either being charged, or in use.

PTC's are provided to limit, or cutoff the circuit within the cell when a predetermined maximum temperature and/or current threshold has been breached, such as a direct short. This applies to both lithium primary and Li-Ion cells. Also, PTC's are installed at the positive end of the cell under the nipple, by the cell manufacturer, and PCB's at the negative end of the cell, again by third parties.

Dave

afdk

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of active circuit, not a (temperature fuse), to limit the excessive current/heat while answering RAT's question. Thanks

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
I've used a few in my Olight T10 and never had any problem with the Panasonic batteries. Never been into the details of runtimes and performance statistics that much, but I'm quite happy with the performance.