Pilot Headset mounted, NVG Compatible... etc

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I'm looking for a very specific type of light and I thought the community here at CPF might be able to help.

Requirements:
Small & Light
Single AAA battery or likewise. Basically, no Coin cells.
NVG compatibility - Blue or Green output is a MUST. It can be green or blue ONLY, white is not a necessity.
Aimable - something that mounts to a flat surface with a ball mount or swivel mount
Fairly Dim - 15 to 30 lumen range.
Preferrably Push button on/off. Not a huge fan of twist on/off.

I want this light to attach to the side of my headset and shine in front of my face to read checklists etc.

Something to the effect of the Pelican L1 Headset Attachment System (pictured below) is a great idea, but I don't like how it runs on coin cell batteries. It's also been discontinued, so that's an issue.

A Mag-LED Solitare or Coast G19 would be great, if I could make the output green/blue and find a way to mount it.

OK, your turn - ideas?

dss_777

Enlightened
Surefire Helmet lights (CR123A), or Princeton Tec Charge MPLS Helmet Light (AA)?

The Princeton Tec Point is a sweet little device, but uses coin cells. Runtime is rated at 36 hours for two cells, and LED choice is variable.

Quiglite makes a number of possible models, but are coin cell operated.

Any of these workable?

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened
A surefire helmet light would be awesome, by I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to mount it, or make it aimable.

dss_777

Enlightened
Velcro! it's like duct tape, only awesomer. The Princeton Tec Point looks ideal for you, if you can get around the coin cell issue. It's bendy, after all...

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened
I checked both of those out, I think the surefire would work, but may be a little bright for my needs. The princeton tec point looks to me like it wouldn't hold up well with the flexi arm. I'll do a little more research though, were getting close.

Ran into one of these at Home Depot today, build quality was OK at best, and the secondary color being Red made it a No-Go for me. If it had been blue or green I would have been sold on the spot.

Amazon /Energizer-LED-Cap-Light-Green

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

dss_777

Enlightened
Consider that the Surefire is CR123 sized, and that makes it rather BIG. It weighs 3.1 oz, vs only 17gm (~ 1/2 oz) for the smallest Princeton tec point. I don't do aviation (or helmets), but coming from experience with headlamps, that's a big difference to have on your head.

What do pilots usually do? Flashlight in the teeth? :)

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened
Consider that the Surefire is CR123 sized, and that makes it rather BIG. It weighs 3.1 oz, vs only 17gm (~ 1/2 oz) for the smallest Princeton tec point. I don't do aviation (or helmets), but coming from experience with headlamps, that's a big difference to have on your head.

What do pilots usually do? Flashlight in the teeth? :)

Most guys use a lip light, which is great for seeing stuff less than a foot from your face. It clips onto the boom mic on our headsets. The pilots seats also have reading lamps mounted above their heads, whereas I have to almost constantly be moving around the cargo compartment of the aircraft, so a hard wired light isn't an option for me.

I have a different headset than everyone else (because I'm spoiled and bought myself a Bose A20 headset so I could listen to music) and there aren't any lip lights available for it that fit my needs.

I'm also not a pilot, I'm a Loadmaster- Easiest way to explain it, I push the stuff out the back for airdrops (people and equipment)

I appreciate your help a bunch, and I think you've led me to my final decision. I want a Princeton Tec, but not the specific one you mentioned. I'm going for its larger brother, the PT Charge-Pro 2 mode, Green & White. Its powered by a 123, which I already have plenty of AW RCR123's for my main flying light, an HDS Rotary 200. Hopefully the Charge Pro is RCR compatible, if not, oh well. It looks like a damn nice light so it'll be worth the cost to me for batteries. Its pretty easy to spend good money on something that your life may depend on every day you go to work.

Now, how to mount it to my headset? I'm thinking of picking up a little bit of the female rail section and expoxying it to my headset. Then I can attach / detach the light at will... Pretty easy in my book!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Very cool! Hope it works out for you- it's an interesting problem.

Stay safe up there!