Plenty of great lights

mrandychen

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on doing a review of these lights. I think a different opinion would be nice.
Aleph 1 W/ BB917 - Surefire A2 w/red LED - Nightcutter M60L - Longbow Micra W/ 27mm reflector and UCL - CMG Infinity Ultra - Peak AAA with 3 LEDs
unsorted1117b9uj.jpg

Picture for now, reviews will come in as I find time to do it. If there are any requests for which one you would like to review first, put a post here. I would also be happy to answer any questions regarding any of these lights and any special requests. Since I've also had a Pelican M6, G2 Nitrolon, LB Mini, and Mag, I could also do comparisons with them as well. Beamshots can also be done. Tell me what you want!

1. ALEPH 1

Specs:
Lux III TWOK
DB 917 YC 2004 rev 3
27 mm IMS reflector
Mineral Glass
HA III finish (very nice)
60 ohm 2 stage McE2S tailcap
Accepts 2 x 123

Review:

First impressions:
When I first opened the package, it looked like there was no mineral glass, BUT it turns out that the glass is so clear that you don't even know it's there. AMAZING In the hands it feels solid, with some battery rattle, but that can be easily solved with some foam. The finish is beautiful and very hard. Workmanship is top notch and it was made with some serious love and care. The build really rivals that of the Longbow series lights and it handles well and feels comfortable in the hand.

Mechanics:
The tailcap functions flawlessly. With a little push, it goes to low light, and with a heftier push, it goes to blinding-white-long-throw high. However, my tailcap was a bit stiff and it took some serious thumbage to get it going, but after some use it got better. It's either that or my thumb got stronger, but after a week I don't find it a bother anymore. The push button is rubber and feels very solid and screwing the tailcap on and off is easy because the threads are machined nicely and the o-rings are tight enough to keep water out. The tailcap was engineered very well and allows it to stand on end, which is a BIG plus and it also has pre drilled holes for mounting it to whatever you want. The body also has nice gripy engravings on it so that it doesn't slip out of the hand. The form factor of this light is perfect and it's small enough to slip in a backpack and even a pocket. It also fits comfortably in the mouth when you need to work with both of your hands. Try putting a mag 4D in your mouth while doing something……..

Beam:
The 27mm reflector with the Lux III is an absolutely beautiful match for throw. The beam is very much like the Longbow Micra with the 27mm reflector, but it is a little tighter. It resembles a maglight on tight throw, and we all should know how a maglight beamshot looks like. The light also puts out plenty of light and the low stage is enough to walk around at night. This is definitely a light to show your friends on a night walk. You can have it on low and navigate around, then when someone points out something in the distance, you can turn on the high power and really put the smackdown. The beam is a clean circle and has no artifacts whatsoever.

Conclusion:
I've really got to hand it to McGizmo, this is one fantastic and well engineered light. Being a Mechanical Engineer myself, I understand how much time that was put into it. It's really hard to find any flaws as well as improvements, well, maybe a free lanyard and tritium vials, but that's pushing it. This has easily become my favorite light and will definitely be very hard to beat.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Please try and re-size your picture to 800 pixels or less. A lot of us are having to scroll the screen to see all of the picture and/or read the text. Thanks!

Nice set of lights!!!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful set of lights. Though I'll probably never get one, I love the finish on the NightCutter.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60L is the top dog in the line up. It is a 5W Luxeon that runs on two It comes with all kinds of accessories - breakaway lanyards, reflector, two different focusing lenses, 3 bezels including te skull smasher (ala Surefire) as shown. The finish is listed as Type III HA, water proof to 150 feet tested etc... etc...

Funny thing is, I was just looking at the specs and the LED is only rated for 500 hours. 60 Lumens from 2 123As.

They also make a 1W Lux light that is almost the exact same size as the Inova X5T which I think is a pretty handy size. I don't really need one, but if I happen onto an auction or B/S/T one for a nice price, I'll probably pick it up.

mrandychen

Newly Enlightened
could someone please rescale the picture to 800 pixels and e-mail it to me? The software I'm using can only do 448 or 1024 and 448 is too small.

Any requests on which to review?