Pocketable Thrower w/ Minimal Spill?

chase9

Newly Enlightened
So I came upon an HDS Rotary thread and it seems really appealing to be able to adjust the brightness via the dial. I've read through a lot of the material regarding the XP-G3, but have read some conflicting things regarding the spill. It's likely due to my lack of knowledge of terminology... Anyhow, would you all recommend that light for my particular application? Or perhaps another emitter offered HDS?

Thanks in advance.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Look at candella numbers chase. Take a 300 lumen light with 5000 candella versus a 300 lumen light with 15000 candella (or cd) and the one with 15000 throws better. A rough way to say it is the more light that reaches a given distance, the higher the candella. Some would say a high cd light has a "pencil beam". Lights like the E1b or EB1 have what is called "aspheric" systems so in essence it has a lens that magnifies the beam to create that "pencil" of light. That is how a zommie does its thing. Slide head forward and the distance from the LED causes max magnification forward. Slide head backwards closer to the LED and maginifaction is spread sideways because of the complex shape of the lens. Kinda like tranistion lenses on eyeglasses.

Modern LED's are being shaped for broader spread, so when using a typical reflector the light out front is spread more. So as a rule as lights get brighter they spread light more. I have a Pelican 1aa that is 100 lumens and has 9000 cd. The small LED shoots light mostly forward. The updated one is 175 lumens but has 5000 cd. The larger/brighter LED spreads light sideways.

HDS are awesome lights. Well worth the money. The rotary is popular for good reason.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only thing I don't like with LEP lights: 10000 hours service time (with LEDs you may expect up to 50000). Phosphor layer cannot stand laser beam exposure for too long.

Last edited:

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Look at candella numbers chase. Take a 300 lumen light with 5000 candella versus a 300 lumen light with 15000 candella (or cd) and the one with 15000 throws better. A rough way to say it is the more light that reaches a given distance, the higher the candella. Some would say a high cd light has a "pencil beam". Lights like the E1b or EB1 have what is called "aspheric" systems so in essence it has a lens that magnifies the beam to create that "pencil" of light. That is how a zommie does its thing. Slide head forward and the distance from the LED causes max magnification forward. Slide head backwards closer to the LED and maginifaction is spread sideways because of the complex shape of the lens. Kinda like tranistion lenses on eyeglasses.

Modern LED's are being shaped for broader spread, so when using a typical reflector the light out front is spread more. So as a rule as lights get brighter they spread light more. I have a Pelican 1aa that is 100 lumens and has 9000 cd. The small LED shoots light mostly forward. The updated one is 175 lumens but has 5000 cd. The larger/brighter LED spreads light sideways.

HDS are awesome lights. Well worth the money. The rotary is popular for good reason.

Thanks for the this info, bykfixer. It's really been helpful for me on my journey to understanding leds. I was originally just looking to buy a single flashlight, but now I feel the need to buy multiple? Wth is happening?!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't know how much spill is too much spill, since I don't have the NiteCore light that you have, but the Emisar D1 (Mini) can be had in green, for $35 shipped with an SST-20 @ 5000K.

It no doubt has some spill, but it has a tight pencil beam and it's small and inexpensive.

Chris

Poppy

Flashaholic
Chase9,
Water at a distance absorbs light at an incredible rate. As stated above, a smaller die LED with a bigger and deeper lens (other than an aspherical lens) will give a tighter beam profile. I've never gone surf fishing but imagine that one would cast 40 yards or so. Honestly, I don't know how much light one would need to see a 0.5 mm diameter fishing line that far out, but I guess it would require a lot of light.

Certainly there are holster carried lights that would be sufficient.
Just for an example of what is available here is a comparison of acebeam K70 and thrunite TN42

chase9

Newly Enlightened
ChrisGarrett and Poppy, thank you for the suggestions. After a bunch of reading, I've decided on a SF EB1 for my fishing adventures. I've never owned a SF and have always had flashlight light envy when someone was using one. Hopefully it works out.

Due to joining this forum a couple weeks ago, I'm now planning on getting an HDS rotary at some point. The SF Aviator just looks really pretty for some reason, so that's on the list as well. The Weltool w3 is on the list as well, it looks like a fun toy.

Thanks CPF, I think?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Excellent choice on the EB1, and the gremmies will definitely turn green when they see that HDS. Not green by sea sick but green with envy.

Next time you go to a Home Depot, if you think about it check to see if they have a Rayovac Indestructable in stock. The 300 lumen 2aa one is a pretty good thrower and if it end up going in the drink you'll only be out $15 or so. It has more spill than an EB1, which looks like a snoot more than a flashlight yet the spill from the Rayovac shoould not bother the brothers in arms what sounds like inches away.

The 200 lumen EB1c is a great snoot, but folks here did not like that it isn't regulated. Reason I liked it because instead of sudden lights out when the battery voltage dips below a certain point it continues to dim until the battery is nearly completely drained. The term is "direct drive", which means it starts dimming as the battery depletes. Regulated means it stays the same brightness until the battery can no longer provide enough fuel to keep it lit.

Some of the better lights "fall out of regulation" at that point and use direct drive after. Malkoff lights for example.

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Thanks once again for the good info bykfixer! I ended up with an E1b. I got a z68 tailcap for it otw. It seems like it will be pretty good for what I need. It's smaller than I guessed which is a bonus.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I ended up with an E1b. I got a z68 tailcap for it otw. It seems like it will be pretty good for what I need. It's smaller than I guessed which is a bonus.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Excellent choice, congrats !

Thank you too, for returning here to let us know.

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, they closed off the outer banks to visitors :(

Perhaps some fish pics in the fall!