Polarion Throw

ledlumi01

Newly Enlightened
Hello Community of the great light!

Has someone already bundled with a Polarion the rays (narrowspot)with an asphericallens or
Fresnel lens?

If yes,please explain to me

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Community of the great light!

Has someone already bundled with a Polarion the rays (narrowspot)with an asphericallens or
Fresnel lens?

If yes,please explain to me

Thanks in advance

I have not seen this been done recently... having searched through the forum regarding HID's

By the vary nature of the design of the HID and the arc of the lamp the light throws a straight beam. The Polarion PH50 has a smooth reflector. Most efforts have been put into spreading this 'spot' to have a useful spill by the application of a diffuser lens. Newer Polarions have OP reflectors as an option. I am sure with the right lens you could create a intense spot ? I see no obvious advantage as the HID's with good reflector designs such as the Polarion have jaw dropping throws further than needed for most applications.

Last edited:

ledlumi01

Newly Enlightened
Hello mohanjude

Thank you for your answer.It is true what you say,I've got the AbyssDualSpot"S"with OP-reflector, and also find that a beautiful illumination.I use the flashlight for many different activities,such as photography, video filming with its own diffuser and color filters.
Explore the outdoors and hiking, you can work well with the two switching levels for short-range 30w
and wide 45w is very good.
But when exploring in the distance I would have in certain situations like a smaller one spot and not immediately illuminate the whole valley, or landscape.
That's why I thought to my self as a filtertop of a lens, the light, the use of even smaller bundles.If it is too bright I can still settle down to 30w.

Thanks, and hope there are a few suggestions

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I see what you're saying. An aspherical lens on top of the light to improve throw/lux? Not sure how much this would help, as mohanjude said the SMO reflector does an amazing job with throw. Even at 30W I'm pretty confident it does a great job, though I can't say for myself because I don't own an Abyss.

DM51

Flashaholic
An aspherical lens only works properly with a point source of light. Light coming from a reflector is not a point source - the source is effectively the whole reflector, which collects the light being emitted in every direction from the bulb and pushes it all out forward.

If you took away the reflector and substituted an aspheric lens, you would get a narrow and concentrated beam, but overall it wouldn't be as bright as the original, as light not going directly forward into the lens would be lost.

The PH40 does an extremely good job of combining flood and throw, and I personally wouldn't want to change it.

to_fire

Newly Enlightened
I have a PH50 which I'm always using at work. It's pretty beat-up, but it still throws 500m (550yd) quite easily. How far away are you trying to illuminate?

ledlumi01

Newly Enlightened
Hello to fire,

no, the distance is ok.

I would zoom out the illumination field, so as not to illuminate half the city.

Greetings from Germany from the Baltic Sea coast

to_fire

Newly Enlightened
Fwiw, I was using my Ph50 @ work last night, and it lit-up the top 10 floors of a 20 floor apartment building that was about 500m away. Just wondering, does anyone know if an extension tube (basically a hollow tube) mounted to the end of the light would reduce spil?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello to fire,

no, the distance is ok.

I would zoom out the illumination field, so as not to illuminate half the city.

Greetings from Germany from the Baltic Sea coast

Hallo mein freund,

Your best bet would be the Polarion diffuser, been thinking about getting one myself.

to_fire

Newly Enlightened
I think he wants more spot and less spill...wouldn't the diffuser do the opposite?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kinda hard to tell what he meant by "zoom out". Sounds like he wants a pencil beam, which would require something like the Mega Illuminator or a big reflector. Nothing will really make the Polarion turn into a pencil beam, short of a different reflector.