POLL: Do you buy spare lights?

Do you buy spare lights?

• Yes - two is one, one is none

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • No - There are always better lights coming out

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • It's a secret - If I told you, I'd have to kill you afterward.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Spare? I buy my lights by the pallet load.

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I have lots of duplicate lights stashed away in different places: toolbox, emergency bags, first aid kit, etc. For those lights, I keep one or two outright spares of each model, so I can replace a broken light ASAP. At the moment, they're Sunwayman V20As and Fenix LD02s with older model Fenix lights backing them up.

For lights I EDC, I'll always have one light in use and one spare in storage. The V20As and LD02s are part of the common pool of work lights and emergency lights, so there's no need for still more spares, but I do have a spare Rofis JR40 and plan to get a spare Fenix UC35.

I have several Sipik SK68 clones for specific use as loaners and to give away when someone is really stuck, although I always advise people to get something better to rely on.

I do have all sorts of singleton lights as well: a couple of FourSevens Quarks, a Sunwayman V10A, a Fenix TK41, a Fenix MC11, an EagleTac D25A Nichia 219 Clicky, a Rofis JR30, old Led Lensers and Maglites, stuff like that. Most of those are because I tend to buy single units of several models in a class, play with them for a while and decide which I like best. I promote the favoured models to EDC / work / emergency status and buy more of them; the others get mothballed.

The TK41 and V10A are exceptions to that rule - they have jobs to do, but I don't feel the need to have identical spares. I very rarely need the TK41's full range, and the V10A is almost completely replaceable by a V20A.