Portable CD player for car

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm about to acquire a vehicle for work that does not have a CD player. It has bluetooth and wifi, with a slew of USB ports.

It's a Ford. It uses Ford Sync. Ugh! I have lots of downloads for bluetooth and all that but I still listen to CD's sometimes when I want better fidelity. It has the Bang & Olefsun system so it sounds pretty good.

Looking at players that Sync recognizes seem to start at $200 for no name brand players so I question their durability.

Sync only recognizes cellular phone bluetooth signals so my Anker broadcaster is out.

Anybody here got any suggestions?

Thanks

So a quick search turned up a company called Lessco and they have a video showing a CD player that plugs into one of the USB ports. From the interface, it looks like the hardware reads the CD and outputs like a flash drive. The link to their eBay store wasn't really useful, but a search for that brand of players turned up other options.

Here's a possibility but you'll need to check the list for compatibility for Fords.

Edit: another possibility is to just rip all the songs from your CDs to a flash drive. The process can still preserve the fidelity of the tracks and save from having to carry and switch out the discs.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
If it has only a few discs on flash drive that's fine but if you have all your music as I do, the searching can be tedious. Does the vehicle have a modern touch screen or just an up/down scrolling wheel. Alternatively you could have different themes on more than one flash drive. When I bought a new car years ago, I asked about a CD changer and the young salesman gave me that look reserved only for oldies that don't get new tech.

Depends on the car's system, but multiple albums could be arranged in folders for easier indexing and search. But I agree, if the entire library is on it, it's going to be difficult. That would still apply if it was loaded on to say, an iPhone.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would check with Ford and see if they offer a CD player for that vehicle, and if they did, you could swap it in.

If an OEM option from Ford is not available, check with these guys for an aftermarket option.

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
would it not be more convenient to play MP3s or FLAC? why go back to optical media?
if quality's the issue, why not get better quality MP3s or FLAC?

fyi, you can rip your CDs yourself with your computer if you want to yield lossless FLAC or likely-transparent MP3 V0.

i fought so hard to get away from optical media 20 years ago. the low data density (particularly for PCM audio CDs), the skipping, the relative ease of physical damage... it's just bad tech. it's dead for a reason!

CD standards are also limited to 44.1kHz/16 bit. High res audio comes in different flavors. Newer Bluetooth technology can support streaming at higher quality. I'm no audiophile, but I recall playing a DVD audio disc that came as a freebie with a car that supported Dolby 5.1 audio. While the experience was impressive, I didn't think that level of audio could be appreciated while driving and with all the road noise.

If the CDs are ripped via Apple Music/iTunes, it should be able to catalogue it automatically, making search easier and even voice control possible to cue playback of albums and tracks. Seems safer than handling discs while on the road.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Short of a 3.5mm jack or a short-range FM transmitter I'm not sure there's an easy route other than the previously-mentioned specialized MP3 player w/ USB output to emulate a solid-state drive.

Unsolicited, but I've found that outside of immediate A/B testing I can't tell the difference between a CD and a high-bitrate MP3 - using good headphones in a quiet room. I'll listen to CDs for funsies on occasion but I've at least a few CDs whose sole purpose was to deliver source data for MP3/FLAC rips.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, you can get little bluetooth broadcaster / receivers. I had one in my Subaru that would take the bluetooth from my iPhone and pump it into the aux port. If you don't have an aux port on the new vehicle you have to deal with, there's gotta be one you can plug into the CD player to pump it to the entertainment system in the vehicle.

As a guy always on the trailing edge of tech, I'm with you on being frustrated with modern tech that removes older options. Good luck. I'm sure there's a way to figure it out.

That being said, it's pretty straightforward to rip CD's to MP3's and plop them on a USB thumbdrive. If you ensure the album and artist are preserved when you rip, the audio system should be able to keep them organized.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
years ago I had a Ford for a company car, I was able to get Sync to recognize a bog standard thumb drive with MP3s on it. I have my whole CD collection ripped to FLAC for my home DLNA server so it was a semi-trivial exercise to use Foobar2000 to convert them to 320 MBPS MP3s although please don't ask me for a step by step because it's been years since I've done this.

I do remember there was something different about the way the file names had to be formatted for Sync than literally everything else I used (Twonky, Kodi, various clients, the ICE in my '09 BMW, etc.) I want to say the track numbers needed to be three digits for Sync to work correctly but a) I am not 100% sure of that b) I don't know if that will still be the case as this was probably 10 years ago and c) again, please don't ask me how I accomplished this, if I just added a leading zero somehow in the Foobar conversion process or did something else. for example:

02 Paranoid.flac on my home DLNA server would be converted to
002 Paranoid.mp3 for Sync. I *think*...

I had a whole file structure to make this work correctly, and using it correctly and also getting the metadata tags right were both important because you never knew if a given device was going to sort by the file structure, the metadata, or a combination of both. My file structure in the example above would look something like this

D:\music\Black Sabbath\1970 - Paranoid [1987]\02 Paranoid.flac

(I baked the year of release into the folder name because I wanted my albums organized by artist and then chronologically. the 1987 is because I used a 1987 CD release to make the files, obviously CDs didn't exist in 1970. I started manually putting the label and catalog number in one of the metadata fields a while back but I have not had enough free time to go back and "fix" all of my older rips...)

I use Exact Audio Copy to make my FLAC rips which isn't exactly user friendly, but is relatively easy to use *once you get it set up the way you like it*

Of course, now with cell phone data speeds being what they are, and an unlimited data plan, it's easier now to just use Qobuz or similar to stream music in the car. I recently had a period where all of my vehicles were either wrecked or broken and had to rent a new Malibu which has Android Auto built in. Took not long at all to get it to recognize my cell phone and I have to admit it was pretty slick. Whereas my 14 year old BMW will allow me to make and receive phone calls, the Malibu would let me run apps right on the car's screen, no phone holder required. So, with little effort I had it so that when my personal cell connected the car would automatically start Waze, and I could also stream from Qobuz at the same time if I got sick of whatever was on the radio. The only thing that was less than optimal about that car was that its built in wireless charger was a slot behind the shifter, not a pad, and it did not play nice with my phone - it was too narrow to fit my phone with the protective case on, and even if I took the case off it wasn't deep enough to hit the sweet spot, so it just didn't work. So I had to act like a caveman and use a lighter plug with an actual USB cord to keep my phone charged in the car! Take note Chevy, a pad is the way to go. So anyway with Android Auto now my huge pile of rips is somewhat useless... now the big problem is my cell phone does not have a headphone jack nor does my old (2002) GTI have an aux in connection so I have no way of streaming when I'm driving that car! It does have the CD player you're missing as well as a "cassette deck" - remember those? (yeah, I should probably replace the head unit in that one, but I am trying not to spend a lot of money...)

Edit: just in case OP tries it, I cannot remember now if it was the actual filename or the track number field where I needed three digits with leading zero(s) and don't really have a way to test, not having any handy friends with newish Fords. I know it was one or the other though.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It boils down to ADC vs DAC really. See, the CD player output is analog, be it headphone jack. The USB input is digital. So a cord would have to contain an Analog to Digital Convertor. I found one for the amazingly low price of $100 $175 (NAVIKS) Or I could rig up an RCA to USB number with 3.5mm to RCA adapter hooked together and USB it to the Sync head unit. Again, an expensive and clumbsy option.

See, the 3.5mm option in the head unit would mean Ford would have to spend another $8 for the ADC installed in the head unit and heaven knows they're already making skimpy profit off this $65,000 vehicle. We don't dare ask them to make that sacrifice.

Now for bluetooth the Sync only recognizes the frequencies cellular phones use, not the kind meant for headphones like my Anker radio uses. Same with any bluetooth CD player. They are meant to broadcast to headphones too.

For flash drive option, the Sync plays the songs in alphabetical order only. How many "albums" are in alphabetical order? Not many. I currently drive a truck with a Sync 3 that has a CD player. I tried the flash drive and use bluetooth at times but the sound stage presence and those little things only heard through headphones show up pretty good in the CD player.

I'll study the rear of the head unit and look for a way to utilize one of the auxillary inputs via 3.5mm jack.

Last edited: