Possible to reapply a reflector coating?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know how the story goes, I tried wipe a spot on one of my reflectors and of course made it worse. I thought using a microfiber cleaning cloth would be OK but apparently you cannot touch them with anything.

The Orange Peel reflector in one of my Malkoff Hound Dogs.

It hasn't affected the beam quality as far as I can tell. Or the lumens. In fact the 18650 Hound Dog is brighter than the 'regular' Hound Dog that I have.

Is there a spray I can buy to restore the shine to the area that was wiped? I understand dielectric coating is the best but what about aluminum spray?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, not dark spots. I will take a pic.

To my relief, the picture quality or the beam quality hasn't changed any, it's the same thing. I suppose that's really the important thing.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, not dark spots. I will take a pic.

To my relief, the picture quality or the beam quality hasn't changed any, it's the same thing. I suppose that's really the important thing.

Like Fritz states, you're either going to have to live with it, or replace it.

Never touch the coating. Leave the boogers there.

Chris

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that point has been understood in abundance at this point.

All right, here is the thing. It hasn't made any different output wise, or beam profile wise or anything. I ran it side by side by my other Hound Dogs - no difference.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really want to ship off the head to him, but is it possible to do-it-yourself replace the reflector? Is it glued? I didn't see any obvious way to remove it.

archer6817j

Enlightened
You can't fix it...but there is nothing wrong with the function of the light. Gene is a busy guy. IMO, chalk it up to a lesson learned and enjoy the light...no need to bother him :)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sending it since it appears to work just fine

Not only that, it is the brightest Hound Dog I have.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It obviously bothers you...or you wouldn't have started this thread.

Send it to Gene, have him replace it and pay what he charges.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started the thread as a mental note:

Don't ever clean the reflector - with anything. Not even microfiber cloth that is fine to clean very expensive optics with. Not even rinse with alcohol.

I think my experience can be invaluable for other people. In fact, I wish someone had posted this 10 years ago.

We are not against sharing experiences and learning, correct? Light is always better than dark, wisdom better than ignorance.

there is no problem. It seems to be fine beam-profile/tint/lumens wise and in fact brighter than my other Hound Dogs, strangely enough.

that's what the subject should be changed to - 'Don't ever clean the reflector'

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The irony of things I misplaced the 18650 Hound Dog and now cannot find anywhere.

Must be the olde age.

You can safely close this thread or nuke it into /dev/null because I am getting frustrated.