Practical reasons for owning a laser?

Databyter

Enlightened
When I used to work in a Shipyard Pipe shop, nothing I have ever found showed the quality of the inside of a straight pipe like a 5mw red laser (I have much more powerful ones, and green but they are too bright for this).

The polerised light pointed into the tube towards the side a bit shows reflective patterns all the way down as it goes through the pipe.

I got to be sort of an expert in reading those patterns to determine which pipes were likely to cause me problems on pipe bending machines where a mandrel is held near the bend point on the interior of a pipe and the pipe slides past it as it bends around a die. For some materials (and some chinese manufacturers) it was a chore to not bust a pipe or a mandrel tip.

Some of the pipes had manufacturing defects (fine for water but not for bending) that were almost impossible to detect from the inside or outside with any kind of light, but with the highly polerized laser light you could actually see the bulges or lop-sidedness amplified in the patterns and skip the risky stock. a non polerised light such as a flashlight or even a borescope wouldn't show the web like patterns that were full of information to the discerning eye.

It was a skill and technique I discovered by screwing around to be honest, but after I started to check all my pipes that way a few other guys started to do it as well. For all I know this technique is still being used. Your not looking at the bright reflection, but the weaker ghosting patterns that seem to show the surface texture and roundness amplified quite a bit.

I also just like the tech. of lasers, I've always been fascinated by handheld size lasers. It's truley amazing how far we have come.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work for two local animal shelters that house 150 free roaming cats between them.

My 60mw DX is a necessary tool for animal excercise. Cats typically won't bother with hardware store variety red pointers, but they'll go insane over the 60mw. As soon as I walk in the door, they are all over me waiting for me to pull out the 'cat toy'.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
One of the most practical lasers I own takes the form of a bore sight. You can also use it to play with the cat, but sometimes I worry about damaging his eyesight. Although I have to admit the cat does not look at the light directly.

sandcrab

Newly Enlightened
I use a red laser pointer every day at work, I work for Honeywell doing shot
peening and cleaning. I use the laser to set up my machines and verify that
the nozzles are the correct distance from the parts. You stick the pointer in
the nozzle and shoot a beam onto the test panels. So sometimes lasers arn't
just for fun. :thumbsup:

KasualObserver

Newly Enlightened
My cats and my dog love our 5mW red lasers - never tire of it. Neither do my kids:) I use 5mW green lasers for presentations and for business gifts.

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
For rescue purposes or distance signaling, you really need a laser that projects a line, rather than a dot, as I understand it. Trying to hit a target at a distance with a laser is difficult, and you can pretty much forget signaling a search aircraft.

lolipopo

Newly Enlightened
I hear the green ones are popular in astronomy type stuff as it's easy to "point" with the easily visible beam to help people find a constelation/ messier object.
yep,absolutly right,star pointer,green laser is my fav:naughty:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, somebody has to run those lasers at raves and whatnots. I doubt some jimbo x-popping, acid-tripping punk's also going to be programming scan routines and calculating power on surface and stuff like that...

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
another good reason: object detection!
http://www.velodyne.com/lidar/

admittedly, not that necessary if you don't have a robotic vehicle guiding itself, but still a cool gadget!

The only reason I mention it is that I expect to be doing a little work with one of these in the near future... should be interesting!

Steve K.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have one on my PS90 carbine. My optic is set for 50 yards, but the laser is set for about 7-10 yards. It would be for indoor self defense purposes (closer than the optic sight in distance)

ps90-laser2.jpg

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
For rescue purposes or distance signaling, you really need a laser that projects a line, rather than a dot, as I understand it. Trying to hit a target at a distance with a laser is difficult, and you can pretty much forget signaling a search aircraft.

I tried a green 50mW laser with my cousin from view points at about a mile away at night. We could see the incoming beam better than our own outgoing beam. I figure that you could easily attract a pilot's attention by pointing close to his aircraft, but you do need to point TOWARDS your target at a fairly close angle (+/- 10 yards left or right from the observer). If you don't point close enough, there is no way anyone would see the beam, except perhaps if it is really really dark around (can't see your own hand type of dark). For that reason, I don't think it would be much help if you're stuck in a ditch where people can't see you, but you could still point at trees over their heads.

I also got his attention by pointing it in the field next to the path he was walking at about the same distance. I needed my binoculars to point properly, but he did stop and called me on the walkie-talkie even though he didn't know I was going to do that.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorites is Avian Dispersal, another way of saying scaring birds.

Apparently this is big business now with many councils paying pest controllers good money to scare birds. What a way to combine business with pleasure :thumbsup:

I don't understand how a green laser would scare birds .............

Can anyone explain ?

If so ..... I need one to scare heavy pelicans and large cranes off the top of my pool cage . They ruin the screen and it's costly to repair their damage .

Would it require 50mW ?

Thanks ~