Practical uses for handheld lasers - What do you use your Laser for?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Want to use one to treat toenail fungus....but don't know how powerful (mw) I should use.

Start with A WhitePaper (technical-language loaded sales document) by one of the practitioners. I don't know where you'll get a 1064nm Nd:YAG laser to pulse appropriately. This will tell you some technical details (Including rather-high output) used, but won't tell you if it really works. I'd say the procedure needs more work, but then I'm not aiming high-output IR lasers at my toes!

Edit: I suggest lots of research before you aim lasers at your toes. Blue and green ones won't work the same way.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my 50 mw green laser with me when going to the movies...and any other place that I don't want to carry a gun....

I guarantee my green laser will stop anyone within 50 meters long enough to get away.

peteschlabar

Newly Enlightened
I carry my 50 mw green laser with me when going to the movies...and any other place that I don't want to carry a gun....

I guarantee my green laser will stop anyone within 50 meters long enough to get away.

Not a bad idea, but that is what concealed carry if for, getting away may not always be an option ;)
I carry my gun just about everywhere(EDIT: where the law allows), and a custom made 15mW single mode 450nm blue pointer that is quite small, so I don't mind it in my pocket

choppedlow

Newly Enlightened
I was hell bent on buying an expensive laser that could pop balloons and go for miles, but I ended up with a $40 ebay one that was just fine. We go camping in the deserts out in southern Arizona, and they are great for pointing out the constellations and stars for the kids. Also, being that you can get busted if you point them at aircraft, I figure if I'm ever lost in the desert or mountains, just point it at every single plane overhead and hope they come to bust/find you. I keep it in my pack every time we go to the dunes or anywhere else you can get in trouble.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Re: "They should really be licensed or banned"....."insanely dangerous"....seriously?

Because most people understand that a loaded gun is dangerous. Not so with lasers.

Really now....are they any more "insanely" dangerous than a shotgun....sharp knife....baseball bat....your car?

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I have had several high powered hand held lasers. I have a 100mw green and a 1W blue laser currently. Both of these are insane, unsafe, dangerous and outright inappropriate for anyone to own and operate, including me.

What subwoofer says should be taken to heart. You simply have no idea how dangerous these are and how incredibly easy (and seemingly unavoidable) it is to cause permanent injury in an instant. These devices should only be used in properly supervised and operated laboratory environments.

Period, End Of Discussion. These.Are.Not.Toys!

Heed these words of caution before you do something that can not be undone.

When you say "end of discussion" does this mean the flow of information should cease?

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Just an idea lighting fires when camping use a solar charger for batteries :caution:

Jet Black

Newly Enlightened
Big Island in the South Pacific Ocean , you can't
Mounting handheld Lasers onto a more stable platform other than a rifle makes them easier to use over medium & long distances...FWIW I have had all of these setup as 35mm cameras , old 8mm Film & numerous Video Camera setups out in public with a Magpul 2 point harness connected to it , never had a problem with the Cops (State & Federal) , they are usually interested to have a look at the setup if they see me with it in public. I carry & treat them like they are a firearm especially in public places when "doing my thing", that way I don't have any problems with the Law.

I have a few "pistol grip + shoulder stock" mounting platforms that I'd like to add an IR Laser Designator (rather than a dot pointer) so that I can increase the standard night vision capabilities of any type of Video camera or SLR style Digital Camera that I fit onto these platforms. It seems a lot cheaper & will provide a much better picture quality than any 1,2,3 or 4th generation night vision equipment I have seen or been able to use. Each Platform has it's individual problems to overcome , once I figure out how to get the metric picatinny adaptors to "play nice" with the imperial camera adaptors 90% of my problems will be fixed. I have pretty much ruled out any sort of clamping setup as being efficient or accceptable. It needs to be threaded or possibly some hybrid of the camera "hot shoe" slide mechanism. A solution will click in my head , while I am mocking up optics & lasers on my wooden stock.
Has anyone else has observed that birds seem to be able to feel a 5 to 10mW green or red laser when they get targeted.Sight up one in the back when they are in a tree & see what happens.

The 35mm manual Cannon with the 200mm lens is easily removed.I have a bigger Al plate cut out & ready to mount on the top of this platform so it will look similar to the old 1960's wooden unit below.If I can incorporate a quick release mechanism I could probably have a number of different Al plates cut out with different studs , threads & slots cut into them.Plenty of 4mm + 6mm sheet , angle & box section Al in the workshop.
Xmas is not the best of times to be working on these type of projects tho...People are more willing to help me out on specials like this in the new year , when they have sworn off drinking forever (forever = a few weeks in Australia)

I'm stuck with the 400mm Novoflex optics on this unit am working on making a universal connector to fit camera bodies & video cameras onto the end of this slick set of optics.There are places where 135mm picatinny rails can be screwed onto the frame & not damage the optics.

This "platform" from the 1960's has a few issues but is great to use for mock ups , hopefully I can find local here who can make me a slightly improved version out of wood or some other strong lightweight material.

If this is too technical or does not contain enough lighting or laser content , please direct me to a more suitable area of this site if it exists thanks. I have enough credentials & can provide suitable proof to be able to legally own a wide beam Laser Designator.

To the Police (the Paramilitary group between civilians & the Military) they see a major threat if someone is "painting" an aircraft with a green dot as it usually means that a .223 or 7.62 projectile is going to hit that spot shortly , or possibly a surface to ground missile , if you hang around with people who do this crap in Australia you deserve everything that the Cops & Feds can throw at you.

JB

Slotguy

Newly Enlightened
I have a 5mw 405nm laser pointer that I use to identify antique glass. Glass manufactured before 1914 used Manganese to clear up the green tint. This gives it a slightly greenish glow. This is the type of glass that will turn purple when exposed to sunlight. I was using a UV flashlight but the ambient light in the room had to be very low to see the glow. With the laser it is much easier to see.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say "end of discussion" does this mean the flow of information should cease?

Never. But it means that laser safety at this power rating, to those who don't seem to know much about it, is a lecture rather than a discussion. The laser will damage vision. Its reflections can do so. It can reflect from surprising surfaces. It can blind people at surprising distances. It can very quickly get out of hand, and the damage in less-severe exposure is cumulative and hard to notice until it's really awful. These things are true, and cannot be discussed effectively - only told.

Now, how do you still use such a laser? Well, let's discuss the equipment and habits that will let you and everyone around keep their eyes working well until their old age... [Insert discussion with CPF members who feel competent to give this advice]

DTF

Enlightened
Was looking at some of the videos showing the street fighting in Cairo and in many of them there are green lasers seen. Turns out that the protesters, and apparently the police also, are using handheld green lasers to shine in the eyes of opponents and to point out individuals. They were also used by protesters outside the president's residence to make sure that their presence would be known on the inside. I suspect that this is something that we will see more of.

Also, just found this reference about using powerful green lasers to control geese on golf courses, etc. http://www.laserglow.com/page/golfcoursebirdcontrol

Last edited:

jcoan

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post so let me take a second to say hello to everyone on this forum.

HELLO TO EVERYONE!

This looks like a very interesting forum and I look forward to learning much and contributing what I can.

What about using a powerful laser to light fuses for dangerous and/or experimental fireworks and explosives at a safe distance? No one would be allowed "downrange" (risking exposure to eye damage or explosions.)

I have seen vendors listing which of their lasers can pop a balloon, light a match head, and so forth. No distance for these feats were listed. I would expect that lasers lose less energy that normal light (square of the distance, if the forty years since my last exposure to a university physics class holds.)

Jcoan

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

unless some thinks you actually aim at them, and shoots first.

zeramant86

Newly Enlightened
1) 5mw 532nm Green Pointer
2) 450mw 405nm Violet Handheld
3) 1.8w 445nm Blue handheld

1) used for pointing out parts on machines at work, robotics cells we can't enter while operating
2) astronomy pointing, general entertainment
3) general entertainment, and soldering / heatshrink in tight areas when butane torch won't reach.

Other uses are for alignment and measurement systems

Hank: Cheap availability is due to the fact we have cd drives or burners for the red lasers, and we have bluray players / burners for high output blue lasers. In addition to the industrail etching lasers seen in metal working or on most of our flashlights.

conman

Newly Enlightened
I am going to try some of these. My 5mw laser pointer is on its way now! I am excited. And thanks to the people on this thread that have cautioned me. I now realize the potential hazard.

LaserCo

Newly Enlightened
I keep wondering, cheap as these things are, if some army somewhere isn't being given sidearms that have fifty or sixty lasers in a showerhead-on-a-handle. I mean, what else can these things be being made for in such quantity they're dirt cheap nowadays?

Hank they are used in casio TV projectors and in one model I know of there are 24 blue diodes, I have one of these casio projectors and bought it for these diodes along with its optics and bright red phatlight PT54.

I also have purchased a Microvision pico projector that uses lasers for all of its colors, it is a keeper and will not be taken apart :)

I use lasers for many things:
while usually wearking goggles I
blast fruit flies on my ceiling
weld plastics together
shrink heat shrink tubing
shine it on my fishing lures out in the lake
I am building light show projectors
lighting cigarettes
as a flashlight with the lens adjusted to widen the beam
engraving my name into things for identification

I could go on and on!

The Repoman

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Practical applications huh?...Dunno 'Bout that but, My wife actually said to me that she knows of
some "Ghost Hunters" who use the 200mw - 1000mw with the laser grid attachment / Filter when
the "Hunt" ghosts...Green Laser's the best She says. Green being more visible than the violet or
red lasers.Do any of you folks ever hear of this practice?