Preon Penlight Burnt Orange on Clearance! $30 once they are gone they are gone!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The only complaint I have about the light is that I keep it clipped in my pants pocket and if I don't lock it out I can turn it on and when I do lock it out the silky smooth threads it sometimes loosens up so much over time if I don't check it a few times a day it can literally come apart in my pocket. What I need is something like a clear thin wide rubber type band to put over the section where it loosens to make it harder to turn apart.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only complaint I have about the light is that I keep it clipped in my pants pocket and if I don't lock it out I can turn it on and when I do lock it out the silky smooth threads it sometimes loosens up so much over time if I don't check it a few times a day it can literally come apart in my pocket. What I need is something like a clear thin wide rubber type band to put over the section where it loosens to make it harder to turn apart.
I thought they fixed this issue with this light. The Preon has the same issue, but swapping out the aluminum boot to a Streamlight MicroStream rubber boot fixes the Preon. That wouldn't work for the Pen light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I thought they fixed this issue with this light. The Preon has the same issue, but swapping out the aluminum boot to a Streamlight MicroStream rubber boot fixes the Preon. That wouldn't work for the Pen light.
Maybe they did something to the Preon Penlights to address this issue, I couldn't tell you but from what I've heard the two are identical except for branding and warranty. I just had an idea just now.... I'm going to try a little piece of teflon tape on the threads next week and see if that fixes the issue.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they did something to the Preon Penlights to address this issue, I couldn't tell you but from what I've heard the two are identical except for branding and warranty. I just had an idea just now.... I'm going to try a little piece of teflon tape on the threads next week and see if that fixes the issue.
I was referring to the Preon 2 and Penlight. The Preon is notorious for accidentally coming on in your pocket and being dead when you need it. I thought they fixed this issue with the Penlight.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was referring to the Preon 2 and Penlight. The Preon is notorious for accidentally coming on in your pocket and being dead when you need it. I thought they fixed this issue with the Penlight.

I think one of the reviewers (selfbuilt?) said that the penlight switch is harder to accidentally press than the preon and preon 2. It can still be turned on in your pocket though. I think the action is fine and making it harder to turn on would make using it and switching modes a task. I think the only way to prevent accidental turn ons is to have a switch that is not sticking out such that it could possibly even tailstand.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I ordered one Will use it in a shirt pocket if it fits ok. Accidental activation should not be a problem.

Bill

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

It has been suggested and used by many folks, to unscrew the head of the light slightly when using the clicky tail. This wont obviously eliminate all problems, and it is extra step when turning the light on, but it does work. Revision to the system are being discussed.

Thanks
Reid

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been suggested and used by many folks, to unscrew the head of the light slightly when using the clicky tail. This wont obviously eliminate all problems, and it is extra step when turning the light on, but it does work. Revision to the system are being discussed.

You failed to address the other point. For me, it was even worse than it coming apart in my pocket. I had it on the outside of my pocket for easy access, and I lost half of the light. The entire tailcap assembly (switch and half the body) fell completely off. An expensive lesson. Either the switch needs to be dramatically harder to push, or the threads need to have some added resistance to turning. Simply rotating the cap is NOT a good solution, even if you don't mind the extra step before using it. You may think it will be OK, but it is only a matter of time...I don't EDC it any more. It was a disappointment for me, simply because of that issue. Too bad, I really liked the light otherwise.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
You failed to address the other point. For me, it was even worse than it coming apart in my pocket. I had it on the outside of my pocket for easy access, and I lost half of the light. The entire tailcap assembly (switch and half the body) fell completely off. An expensive lesson. Either the switch needs to be dramatically harder to push, or the threads need to have some added resistance to turning. Simply rotating the cap is NOT a good solution, even if you don't mind the extra step before using it. You may think it will be OK, but it is only a matter of time...I don't EDC it any more. It was a disappointment for me, simply because of that issue. Too bad, I really liked the light otherwise.

I am suggesting you rotate the HEAD, not the tail cap. Please pm/email us about your missing components, we would like to take care of you.

Thank you
Reid

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am suggesting you rotate the HEAD, not the tail cap. Please pm/email us about your missing components, we would like to take care of you.

Thank you
Reid
Foursevens has great customer service, that's why I remain hopeful that you'll release more lights with neutral and warm tints. I've got a black Preon 2 Nichia 219B, and I love it (with a Streamlight MicroStream rubber boot). I carry this light Monday-Friday in my work slacks. I wish to see another run so I can grab a titanium one. I either don't use, or have sold all my other Foursevens lights (had 5, down to 2) due to the tint. I'd love to see more 219A, 219B, and 4000k-4500k Cree LEDs.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that is actually what I was doing. Rotating the head relative to the body/clip. Sorry for the confusion.

While I appreciate the offer, this happened ages ago. I called it an expensive lesson because I did end up buying a whole new light. It wasn't a small missing part...half the light fell completely off. And I wouldn't call it defective, really, rather I view it as a design flaw. It is something that you have to watch out for...and lights that you have to worry about losing or constantly running down the batteries are not much fun. It might be OK for most people...but for my uses, it just didn't work well.

If I had known FourSevens would be that helpful, I would have contacted the company at the time of the loss. Water under the bridge at this point. Thank you for your response nonetheless.

AFearlessBirdOfParadise

Newly Enlightened
Are both getting discontinued (as both are on clearance)?

Why?

I have one as my EDC and it's awesome, but now I gotta scramble up money for a lifetime supply to account for accidents/losses years from now :(

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have just figured out a way to help combat the problem of the light coming apart when locked out. I wrapped a few layers of teflon tape around the threads and now it is a little harder to turn. I should try wrapping even more tape but I didn't have time to do that today at work.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Got mine today. Solid feel to it.. Nice threads. I will be carrying mine in a shirt or jacket pocket, the best place for penlights, so accidental activation will not be an issue. I note that it takes some force to activate. I guess that could be called a relatively hard press button. Did some basic light meter tests using fresh Kirkland sAlkaline, and Eneloops.

Alkalines on high measured 24 on my meter
Eneloops charged to 1.44 volts showed 25.
Eneloops I had that were showing 1.33 volts showed 25.

Selfbuilt had observed that he was getting a significantly higher lumen output on high using Alkalines, compared to Eneloops. I did not see that using bounce with a lightmeter. The head gets hot fast in high mode.

Bill

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the entire Penlight line, regardless of color, is being discontinued - it doesn't show up on 47s site anymore (aside from clearance) :(.

Yeah, I only use this for shirt pocket carry too, and perhaps a bag/briefcase with dedicated pen slots.

Interesting tidbit since this light is rated for 0.9-3V - low becomes sub-lumen (0.3-0.5 range) on a single Eneloop with current draw ~7.5ma, so in a pinch, you can stretch its runtime to ~ 200 hrs. Med stays the same (I get 18-25 lms depending upon sample), while max tops out at ~75 lms.

On 2 Eneloops (that have been sitting for > 6 months), my 2 burnt orange samples meter at 180 and 190 max or ~20-30 lms less than my SC52 "280" mode.... this is consistent with Selfbuilt (on a relative basis).

Esko

Enlightened
Seems like the entire Penlight line, regardless of color, is being discontinued - it doesn't show up on 47s site anymore (aside from clearance) :(.

It starts to look like we have a pattern developing... Preons have been sold out color by color, too, there are just the black ones available any more (+limited edition green).

AFearlessBirdOfParadise

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, I only use this for shirt pocket carry too, and perhaps a bag/briefcase with dedicated pen slots.

Interesting tidbit since this light is rated for 0.9-3V - low becomes sub-lumen (0.3-0.5 range) on a single Eneloop with current draw ~7.5ma, so in a pinch, you can stretch its runtime to ~ 200 hrs. Med stays the same (I get 18-25 lms depending upon sample), while max tops out at ~75 lms.

On 2 Eneloops (that have been sitting for > 6 months), my 2 burnt orange samples meter at 180 and 190 max or ~20-30 lms less than my SC52 "280" mode.... this is consistent with Selfbuilt (on a relative basis).

How do you make it run off a single? dummy AAA?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you make it run off a single? dummy AAA?

Yes.... I keep a piece of tinfoil in my wallet to make battery spacers and dummy cells w/ $-bills. Hehe, come to think of it, in a real pinch, I think this penlight could give the Paklite a run for its money - ie, ~450 hrs from a 9V ;)