Primus PrimeLite Race - review [Rebel inside]

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

The Primus light would be fantastic for very difficult trails and bushwhacking but would be overkill for most hiking and backpacking although, which one of us really doesn't want a brighter light, I guess that's why I always carry two.

Carrying two is smart. Since trade-offs will alway exist.

But, isn't the Rebel 100 brighter at low drive levels? I know my Rebel 100 Browning Nitro, is very bright at 70 MA, partly due to lens, partly to the rebel. Also, color rendering is best of all my lights in reds, oranges. (reading Cree, Seoul, and Nichia catching up with at least one offering each.)

I have three Rebels, two of which are 80's. All are better than any of my Cree's on most colors. One of the Rebel 80 is about only a tad better than my Seoul p4 though. I might hold off buy new lights to see if Color rendering might improve in all bins over next year; I think people after owning leds for a while are starting to wake up to colors that are missing in each light, and limitations of the light because of the missing colors.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I'm really interested in getting this light for nighttime trail running. Was leaning toward the MyoXP, but the warnings against the use of rechargeables has changed my mind on this one.

Couple of questions about the PrimeLite Race: Even with the batteries located on my waistband, I'm worried that the weight of the aluminum head unit might be too much for running--not the weight per se, but the fact that the mass might bounce up and down a little. The lack of a top strap contributes to this concern. I really need something stable, and don't what to have to adjust the strap too tight, as that sometimes leads to a headache. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Second, I'm wondering about the balance of hotspot and spill. No concerns about the spot being bright enough--it looks blinding! And I need a good spot to light up obstacles. But good spill is equally important to see what's right in front of my feet. I'm a little concerned that it may be too geared toward distance, not enough toward peripheral lighting.

Finally, while not crucial, I'd like to know if it's regulated. I'm guessing yes, given the estimated runtimes. But I'd love to know for sure, and to know what happens at the end of regulation--does it bump down to low? Shut off?

Thanks for the all the information provided so far, and for a little more, if possible!

Jack

IcantC

Enlightened
Has anyone used this light for running? Is there a lot of bounce? Or is it uncomfy?

ShooterX

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine but is very confy on the head and i think you can use it for running.If you want i can run a couple of times in my house to see the sensation :).You can use it for running no problem

hopkins

Enlightened
JackJ - The new Myo Xp's are coming out with a fuse, I heard, so they;ll be safe for rechargeables. For the already owned Myo's just put a fuse in the power cable and your set for the use of rechargeables again.

Think all headlamps with cables could suffer the same problem. Anyone know of a good fuse form to insert into the power cables? The Primelite Race could use one too maybe.

pxbaroni

Newly Enlightened
I see several people own this light. I just received mine and used it for a while just around the yard and like it. It has a great beam, well built and it is comfortable. Then...I decided to use my trusty 2500mah rechargables.:thumbsdow It does not seem to work. Can ANYONE tell me is this typical. I have tried all my rechargables so I know its not the set I first tried. Then I called my race buddy to see if the light I convinced him to buy did it too...YUP, no light with nimh batteries!! This is a deal breaker for me if this is the case...I will return the item to the store.
THanks in advance,
PX

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
.I decided to use my trusty 2500mah rechargables.:thumbsdow It does not seem to work. Can ANYONE tell me is this typical. I have tried all my rechargables so I know its not the set I first tried. Then I called my race buddy to see if the light I convinced him to buy did it too...YUP, no light with nimh batteries!! This is a deal breaker for me if this is the case...I will return the item to the store.
THanks in advance,
PX

Hmm. If true, I will unsubscribe to this thread, as interest in light has dimmed considerably.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see several people own this light. I just received mine and used it for a while just around the yard and like it. It has a great beam, well built and it is comfortable. Then...I decided to use my trusty 2500mah rechargables.:thumbsdow It does not seem to work. Can ANYONE tell me is this typical. I have tried all my rechargables so I know its not the set I first tried. Then I called my race buddy to see if the light I convinced him to buy did it too...YUP, no light with nimh batteries!! This is a deal breaker for me if this is the case...I will return the item to the store.
THanks in advance,
PX

You might try putting a solder blob on the contact points for the + end of the batteries.

In the pics NiMHs are being used... Has the battery carrier been altered? If so pics would be nice.

Sverre

Last edited:

pxbaroni

Newly Enlightened
Thanks No Fair,
That problem solve escaped me. The amount lacking between the positive end and the contact is so minimal that you can't notice it until closer examination. I simply put a small metal tape spacer on the contact and viola...it works.

Thank you, now I must try and find nimh batteries with bigger nipples(ok to say that on forum?) so I won't have to do the tape. The light is well worth it again.

IcantC

Enlightened
I just got mine but is very confy on the head and i think you can use it for running.If you want i can run a couple of times in my house to see the sensation :).You can use it for running no problem

Thank you for the feedback!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks No Fair,
That problem solve escaped me. The amount lacking between the positive end and the contact is so minimal that you can't notice it until closer examination. I simply put a small metal tape spacer on the contact and viola...it works.

Thank you, now I must try and find nimh batteries with bigger nipples(ok to say that on forum?) so I won't have to do the tape. The light is well worth it again.

My pleasure:D

Had the same problem with a few AAA lights and radios.

You can put the solder blob either on the batteries or even better on the contact. You also need a better soldering iron for safe and good soldering of batteries.

Sverre

pxbaroni

Newly Enlightened
Just FYI I have had several contacts with Primus of Sweden, just inquiring about the batteries and questions about the light. Their customer service is rock solid. They answer questions and listen to feedback about their product. Sometimes that wins on several levels with me. Plus...I have finally used the light on several trail runs as well as an adventure race and Mountain bike rides. The light has solid functionality.

pcheninhk

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone suggests the brand of rechargable battery that would work with the Primelite Race without having to solder it? Thanks.

hopkins

Enlightened
The solder blob idea is good but the problem is the plastic can melt before
the temperature is high enough to get good adhesion.

My idea is to slide the metal spring strips (battery contacts) out of the holder
and with a nail pound on the bulges a little to make them bigger (taller) to assure the + terminals make good contact.
Re-assemble.:whoopin::whoopin:

pxbaroni

Newly Enlightened
I used metal tape folded twice and stuck it to just the contact with the trouble. The first contact on the positive battery seems to be the only contact that misses the nipple. I have not had any issues with it since, or the metal shim slipping. I found this at a local store and plan on trying it on the other tow lights that my friends have. Just glue small metal shim to that one contact. http://scientificsonline.com/produc...00423C27502&mr:referralID=NA&bhcd2=1227198234

Last edited:

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
How does this headlamp compare with a princeton tech apex with the seoul ssc P4 upgrade (with standard optic)? obviously build quality is better. does it throw as far or further?

florinache

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if it can be modded with a brighter/warmer LED.

It is a very well build headlamp, ideal in winter trailfinding, and it is a shame that after purchasing a Fenix HP11 I didn't use the Primus anymore. So, I'd like to revive it for my GF.

Would a XP-G do the trick? Or maybe something else?

Szemhazai

Enlightened
florinache, yes it can be done - you simply need a very small and thin MPCB for XP-G (strongly suggest XP-G2) or simply sand normal pcb.