Problem modding 3D Mag

Z

z_tjhabak

Hello everybody. I have an old 3D Mag, I decided to play around with. I converted it to 4C using 1 PVC to space the batteries, and got one of the TerraLux bulb assemblies (TLE-300). It wont turn on. The old bulb still works, and I tried the conversion in a 4 cell, which worked fine. I cant figure out the problem. My guess is that it has something to do with the 3D switch not letting enough current through. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

(1) Check the voltage at the front of the switch.
(2) Some Mag D switches don't have much of a contact for the battery. You might remove the switch and look for a bad/bent contact.
(3) While the switch is out test it for continuity.
(4) Check your batteries with a multimeter.
(5) Try 3 D batteries.
(6) Make sure the tailcap mates perfectly with the body of the light.
(7) Good luck!
(7) Try the Terralux in another flashlight.

One other thing you can try is to check the drop in. Put it on the table and connect your 4 cells using some magnets or similar. Then hook up the pos an neg connections using jumper wires (dont get them mixed up) and see if the dropin comes on.

I had the same problem, the terralux internal threads are anodized and were not making ground with mag tower threads,
i made a O ring out of small solder so the tower would bottom out on the solder witch is bottom out on a non ano surface
of the TLE300

remove it and try again, those may be pita to install right.
to make sure it works remove the head and try instaling like that it is easier, but you should use it only to test the module.
also befoe you instal it screw the head all the way in, than install tha drop in, than unscrew the head till it stops, few turns, don't overtighten it. only than instal thick o ring that came with it, and bezel with lens,
you might want to apply some heatpaste on the ledge in the head, that part will push against the heatsink, when you unscrew the head,

btw you will get very poor runtime with c cells, try 3x18650, or up to 6 cr123, the module can take up to 18v, the more volts the less draw. on 6v i mesured 1,2A on 14,4v about 700ma

Last edited: