Question from a Newb

viper169

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at buying a new flashlight to carry at work. I want to spend less than 50 dollars.I want to get the brightest light I can for that price. I also need something that is small enough to carry on my belt. I have found a light that I think will work well for me. It is a Dorcy TRUE Tactical 6 Watt. It puts out 200 lumens and runs on aaa batteries. It costs around 40 dollars. Here is a link to the website i found it on. http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-219-41-4289-200-lumens-true-tactical-6-watt-3aaa-k2.aspx

what I am looking for is some imput from the Flashlight pros here. Is this a decent light. Is it worth the price?

Thanks for you time.

Holepuncher

Enlightened
Wow that thing rocks. There's something wrong somewhere with that ad. Its as they say cluster F#&%$#. Six watts, 6 hour run time , 3AAA's, all from a K2. Look elsewhere.

toolpig1

Enlightened
My money says less than an hour of bright light followed by five hours of no big deal. 3AAA is never an energy powerhouse, plus the battery carrier sucks. I'm sure that this light isn't fully regulated, probably direct drive or a simple boost circuit at best. Spend your money elsewhere. Here are a few places to look for better:
https://www.4sevens.com/
www.brightguy.com

Niconical

Enlightened
I want to spend less than 50 dollars.I want to get the brightest light I can for that price. I also need something that is small enough to carry on my belt.

Click here

Use discount code CPF8 and it will be under $50.
It is small and comes with a belt holster.
It's bright :)

rockz4532

Enlightened
he needs to use AAAs, though...
no, he is reffering to the dorcy that uses aaa's.
i recommend the Fenix L2D-CE, it is 180 lumens, probably double of the dorcy, uses 2 aa batteries, and is by far better built, but it cost 55 dollars. another option is the LDO1 (fenix) it is 80 lumens, uses 1 triple a battery and is smaller than a mag solitaire. it cost 45 dollars.
hope i helped!:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That Dorcy might put out 200 lumen(at the LED, less out the front) for the first minute but because of the low capacity of AAA batteries(3 only has around the same capacity as a single AA battery) it will drop in output pretty quickly. IMO not worth it.

If you just want output and will accept decent quality, then look at some of the Seoul P7 or Cree MC-E lights on Dealextreme and Kaidomain. Not bad lights to start with for multidie LEDs but I'd suggest something built better but dimmer for your first light.

Look at the Fenix lights, specifically the L0D-CE Q4, LD01, L1T V2.0, L2T V2.0, and maybe the other L/LD series lights.

There's also the Kingpower, iTP, and a few other brands that you can look at.

What light do you use now?
What would you use the light for? (A thrower light would be bad for close range duty, so would lots of output)
What batteries do you prefer?
What size?
What beampattern?
Would you like multimode?(lower output levels, strobe, etc)
What type of switch?(twist on, forward clickie, as in has momentary on, reverse clickie, doesn't have momentary on but usuallt works better with multimode lights, or other?)

:welcome:

viper169

Newly Enlightened
What light do you use now?
I currently use a Dorcy 45 LUMEN - 3AAA LED METAL GEAR. Heres a link
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414281
I am pretty happy with this light I have used it for a couple of years and it has been abused and it is still in decent shape. I have been happy with the one I have. Its just time for something new and I would like something brighter.
What would you use the light for? (A thrower light would be bad for close range duty, so would lots of output) I work at an airport so I am looking for something that will throw some light a good distance.
What batteries do you prefer? I prefer standard batteries, as opposed to lithium. Mostly for the cost.
What size?
I need something fairly small. I have enough other gear to carry around everyday. That was one of the things I liked about this Dorcy light it is the same size as the one I have now.
What beampattern?
I would prefer something that has a fairly tight beam
Would you like multimode?(lower output levels, strobe, etc)
No I do not need any multimode.
What type of switch?(twist on, forward clickie, as in has momentary on, reverse clickie, doesn't have momentary on but usuallt works better with multimode lights, or other?)
I really dont want a twist on. I often only have one free hand to operate a light. I would prefer a rear clicky

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming please.
:welcome:[/quote]

Last edited: