questions about nightbuster 4x

huh

Newly Enlightened
I just placed my first LED flashlight order at GlowBug for this nightbuster 4x. The heavy construction sounds very attractive in self defence situation. Though, I read some posts here saying there's design flaws in the 8x. Can someone tell me if the problem also exist on the 4x and what is that flaw? I found the 8x is discontinued, is it because of that flaw?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
welcome to the forum!

i had the 8x.

it was a great light until some leds died...sent it back...got a new one...some more leds died...

other than that (and the occasional flicker) it was a great light *very* sturdy.

i have not heard of this problem with the 4x, but i suppose it is possible.

yes, the 8x was discontinued due to this flaw.

huh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Rothrandir, I hope the 4x doesn't have such flaws and will provide all what I expect from a flashlight. My wife has been unhappy for my hobby of knifecollecting, don't want to start another one on flashlights.
smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey huh-

Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

If you got the 4X from GlowBug you might want to check your purchase again to see if you ordered one with blue LEDs. They only come in blue and green.

I had the 8X. It has a known problem with the tailcap and I would be suspicious of the 4X having the same problem. I also experience the same problem Rothrandir described. My light actually got brighter when it blew an LED. Allan Lloyd @ GlowBug is a prince to work with. He replaced it with a couple of ARC AAAs which you've probably read is highly regarded here. I also bought the 8X because of the heavy construction. Since learning more about flashlights at CPF I don't care for a heavy flashlight for an EDC (every day carry) anymore.

Kudos to you for using the search function. Anytime you are about ready to purchase you can post a question about the lights you are considering. Several people will be more than happy to give you good advice.

CPF is a very civil BB and friendly place to visit. Have fun.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
huh-

I just read your other post. I'm concerned that this 4X will not please you and most definatly will not be providing all you expect from a flashlight. There are LED lights available for about the same money that people do like. One is the Streamlight 4AA 7 LED. I don't have one but many people like it. It is considered to be overdriven but that means that it is bright. Also, Streamlight has excellent warranties.

On hobbies. I hope you will reconsider flashlights as a hobby. IMHO some good knives are a basic thing men must have. If they turn into a hobby well...that's a fine hobby to have. By the same token some good flashlights are also a basic thing that men must have. If it turns into a hobby that is a fine thing too. Since coming here I have learned that some good flashlights are a basic thing that women must have also.

huh

Newly Enlightened
Thx Icebreak, the one I ordered is with blue LEDs, I was told that the blue LED looks brighter than white ones.
Could you describe the cap problem you mentioned with the 8x? I bought this nightbuster mainly for its heavy construction and capability for self defence, I don't want to get a "looks rugged however fragile" piece.
This forum is great, reading posts here for several hours and I find myself getting deeper and deeper into flashlights. I guess I will need do more house works to get financial support in the future
smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not at all the best guy here to help you with colors because I really like blue. Blue is very bright to the eyes. It also flouresces flourescent objects. Cyan is by far the brightest to the eyes. White is best for most purposes because it renders the true characteristics of the object it is shining on.

The tailcap on the discontinued 8X is dependent on a tiny, centrally located internal screw. That is not good design IMO. That device is made of substandard material. Upon using the tailcap to turn the light on a few times the screw breaks easily.

On the self defense thing I know nightbuster uses that aspect to market their flashlights and there is some truth to having a small, but heavy object in one's hands. Kinda like a roll of dimes I guess. There are people here at CPF that are experts in self defense. I'm thinking that they would advocate special self defense classes. Some of them have been trained in how to use a Mini-Mag as a defensive weapon.

I wanted to also express that good lights are helpful in many house work projects.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
---Some of them have been trained in how to use a Mini-Mag as a defensive weapon.---

well, at least it's good for something (other than drop-ins of course)
grin.gif