• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

R50 Pro/R50 Pro LE Discussion

gteague

Newly Enlightened
:thinking:Update:
Well, after a month of nothing happening and babying batteries and charger, I finally received a new Olight battery in the mail..... Wish I could've gotten a response earlier, but, now I have extra batteries and a decent charger for my needs of other battery types. Hope they get this snafu fixed soon. I will charge battery and 'NOT' keep it on charger. Will put on charger and charge like a regular charger for now and when topped off will remove.

why would they just send you a battery when they know the chargers are killing them? that makes no sense.

i still haven't heard a word from them and i've pretty well written them off at this point due to non-response. they even deleted my facebook post on their page. why won't they come on here and defend themselves? i sent them a pm with the link and i put this link in one of my emails to them.

/guy

kj2

Flashaholic
End of this month. My LE has been sitting on the charger for 3 weeks. And... it turns On. Battery is alive and light works as it should.

Kingdomseeder

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad to here that kj! Not sure what is going on with others, but encouraged to see that there are not problems everywhere

gteague

Newly Enlightened
ok. going gear gave me a ph# to olight and i got a gent named sean in georgia. very nice guy and seemed knowledgeable. i filled him in on all i'd experienced and read from those of us having the issue and he said they knew about it, but couldn't replicate it. but, they have a dozen lights set up as a test which has been running for i think 9-11 days now. i told him not to touch them and leave them for 3 weeks.

but the problem is that the lights they're using are current production--not from the first batch. i told him someone had sent a light back, but he wasn't aware of it. he said he'd love to have my light and i told him i'd be more than glad to send it to them if he sends a ups pickup here. i live a long way from town and am having my eyes operated on and thus am limiting my driving to the absolute minimum.

we also agreed that they needed to have posted this info on the forums, but evidently they think only a handful of people are affected and i don't think up to now they're prioritized it very high on their todo list. i told him that a light designed and sold for emergencies to emergency agencies ought to be their highest priority, and he agreed with that.

hopefully we'll see someone pop up here and if i don't hear back from him via email by monday i'm going to call again.

/guy

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
ok. going gear gave me a ph# to olight and i got a gent named sean in georgia. very nice guy and seemed knowledgeable. i filled him in on all i'd experienced and read from those of us having the issue and he said they knew about it, but couldn't replicate it. but, they have a dozen lights set up as a test which has been running for i think 9-11 days now. i told him not to touch them and leave them for 3 weeks.

but the problem is that the lights they're using are current production--not from the first batch. i told him someone had sent a light back, but he wasn't aware of it. he said he'd love to have my light and i told him i'd be more than glad to send it to them if he sends a ups pickup here. i live a long way from town and am having my eyes operated on and thus am limiting my driving to the absolute minimum.

we also agreed that they needed to have posted this info on the forums, but evidently they think only a handful of people are affected and i don't think up to now they're prioritized it very high on their todo list. i told him that a light designed and sold for emergencies to emergency agencies ought to be their highest priority, and he agreed with that.

hopefully we'll see someone pop up here and if i don't hear back from him via email by monday i'm going to call again.

/guy

I think I was the first to post about this problem here and I still haven't done anything, been waiting to see how things sort out. If he's willing to foot the shipping I'll be glad to send mine in, can drop it off at UPS. Perhaps you could PM me his contact info?

gteague

Newly Enlightened
I think I was the first to post about this problem here and I still haven't done anything, been waiting to see how things sort out. If he's willing to foot the shipping I'll be glad to send mine in, can drop it off at UPS. Perhaps you could PM me his contact info?

done

/guy

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replied a long time ago, when this topic was new: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...E-Discussion&p=4997721&viewfull=1#post4997721

I finally selected this light for purchase, the LE Dock version, and a friend paid for it because I selected this item for him. :)

He was interested in my collection, he asked me to choose his first real led light, and I chose this item. In addition to the LE Dock version, I instructed him to purchase an additional regular 26650 cell and an external Li ion charger, so he has additional option to charge up and power up the light.

I told him that when the dock completes its charge, to remove the light from the dock, but no rush, immediacy is not needed.

Jim just received this item from Vinh54, and Jim is very happy with his initial familiarization of his new light.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/5071272

See the last post there from Olight. their tests show defective batteries and they've offered to replace.

We tested 20 samples at the same time. Our technicians found out that it is a bad batch of batteries that we received from our supplier that are getting drained prematurely from the dock. When we replaced it with a battery from the new batch it didn't happen again in the same test. If you have an issue with your battery just contact us and we will send you a new one.

gteague

Newly Enlightened
i just got off the phone with olight. i noted before i'd spoken with sean and i got him again. when asked to explain why they hadn't contacted me he said they had decided that they couldn't replace my light since it was 'so expensive' and because, since i'm having operations on my eyes, i needed a ups pickup for my old light. but that's no excuse for not telling me that. you'd have thought they would have jumped at the chance to have an affected light back to test, but evidently not.

at any rate, they still won't replace my light if and until they get my old one back which i think very shitty of them and combined with their lack of communications via any venue concerning this issue, i'm very frustrated and disappointed--especially since i've bought probably 12-20 of their lights--so many i can't even count them all as they are stashed around the house and car and in various emergency and survival kits.

sean did say he'd send me 3 batteries to replace the one that came with the light and the two i bought. i'm not holding my breath to see if they honor this promise, so we'll see if they arrive.

btw, my estimate of 2-3 weeks seems to have been right on as sean said the 4 batteries they had die on them came at the 2-1/2 weeks mark. so if you want to test your light, 3 weeks without touching it seems to be the formula.

/guy

gteague

Newly Enlightened
marking the date mon 27 mar 2017

olight sent me 3 new batteries and i put one in the r50 and tested it, then put the light into the dock and it's charging now. i'm going to ignore it for 3 weeks and then test. i'm setting a reminder for mon 17 april 2017. i'll report back.

/guy

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
marking the date mon 27 mar 2017

olight sent me 3 new batteries and i put one in the r50 and tested it, then put the light into the dock and it's charging now. i'm going to ignore it for 3 weeks and then test. i'm setting a reminder for mon 17 april 2017. i'll report back.

/guy

Thanks for the updates. We may not all be responding, but we are all following the thread and interested in your findings.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
I also contacted them. They're sending me a new battery, I didn't have to send anything back. I'll be doing the same test.

The amazon review I edited and down-rated because of this issue, I'll wait for it to pass the test before editing again and rating back up.

gteague

Newly Enlightened
well, it's 17th april. i admit i've checked once a week and it's been working fine although i didn't check voltage. let's go haul it out of the dock where it's been for 3 weeks with only those two very short disturbances ....

.... and it's still alive! and the emergency function works when i yank the power. so i guess i have to eat my words about it not being batteries since that's the only variable that changed in my case. i think i'll put another of the batteries they sent me in and let it charge and sit for 3 weeks as well and if that one survives i'll feel much better about the system.

i'll check it again in 2-3 weeks to make doubly sure and i'm not sure if i'll every trust it 100% as a true emergency lighting source, but for right now things are looking good.

/guy

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, it's 17th april. i admit i've checked once a week and it's been working fine although i didn't check voltage. let's go haul it out of the dock where it's been for 3 weeks with only those two very short disturbances ....

.... and it's still alive! and the emergency function works when i yank the power. so i guess i have to eat my words about it not being batteries since that's the only variable that changed in my case. i think i'll put another of the batteries they sent me in and let it charge and sit for 3 weeks as well and if that one survives i'll feel much better about the system.

i'll check it again in 2-3 weeks to make doubly sure and i'm not sure if i'll every trust it 100% as a true emergency lighting source, but for right now things are looking good.

/guy

:poke: Thanks for the update. I keep mine in my work truck LE charger during the day and the magnetic charger at night. It never has a chance to sit multiple days in a row to see if it malfunctions. Thanks for the test.

Last edited:

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
I contacted olight a few weeks ago and the replacement battery they sent me just arrived. I gave it a quick test to make sure it worked and now it's on the LE charger. I'm going to give it a full month without being touched. Still works after that, I'll be satisfied.

donjo1

Newly Enlightened
Failed Light

I've tried every means available to contact this company about this same problem, Facebook, email, phone, private message. Absolutely zero response. I now have a useless brick on my hands. Failed after one use. Very disappointed in this company.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Failed Light

I've tried every means available to contact this company about this same problem, Facebook, email, phone, private message. Absolutely zero response. I now have a useless brick on my hands. Failed after one use. Very disappointed in this company.

Are you in the US? I used this contact form on their website:
https://olightworld.com/contact-us/

They responded 3 days later.

gteague

Newly Enlightened

just had a power outage. i looked around the room and no emergency light. when i got some light going i checked my r50 and guess what? the *inappropriate language removed* dead again. this time i had let it go for 3 weeks without touching it, then checked it once a week for 3-4 weeks. so i'd say it lasted about 4 weeks. so this light is dead to me and olight is dead to me. i was pretty sure their battery excuse was just that--a pathetic attempt to keep from replacing all the $150 lights they'd sold.

i can still use it, but it's useless as an emergency light--i'm going to trash the charger right now. i'll have to charge the batteries in my other non-le r50 which only has the usb charger in the tailcap as i don't have a charger that will even work for the r50 batteries unless the one with the two magnetic leads that olight makes will do it. and i'm sure that would take 12-24 hours to charge considering how much amperage that battery is and how tiny and thin that little charger is.

/guy

Last edited by a moderator:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

just had a power outage. i looked around the room and no emergency light. when i got some light going i checked my r50 and guess what? (EDIT) this time i had let it go for 3 weeks without touching it, then checked it once a week for 3-4 weeks. so i'd say it lasted about 4 weeks. so this light is dead to me and olight is dead to me. i was pretty sure their battery excuse was just that--a pathetic attempt to keep from replacing all the $150 lights they'd sold.

i can still use it, but it's useless as an emergency light--i'm going to trash the charger right now. i'll have to charge the batteries in my other non-le r50 which only has the usb charger in the tailcap as i don't have a charger that will even work for the r50 batteries unless the one with the two magnetic leads that olight makes will do it. and i'm sure that would take 12-24 hours to charge considering how much amperage that battery is and how tiny and thin that little charger is.

/guy

That's a bummer. Disappointing.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts