Ra Clicky Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Not a new record, but I think these runtimes are still amazing.
Alex

Actually, according to my numbers you take the lead on C and CN runtimes with primary cells. Congratulations, you've made a new record.

Kid9P, you've got the record for CN runtime on RCR, congratulations.

Runtimes in info thread are updated. Thanks everyone for their input!

:party: The Clicky runtimes are purely mind blowing. Averaging high 80's to mid 90's for all models on primary except WWCN, and mid to upper 60's for recargeable. Not bad eh?

shomie911

Enlightened
Actually, according to my numbers you take the lead on C and CN runtimes with primary cells. Congratulations, you've made a new record.

:party: The Clicky runtimes are purely mind blowing. Averaging high 80's to mid 90's for all models on primary except WWCN, and mid to upper 60's for recargeable. Not bad eh?

Actually I've got the record for primary runtime on the 140-Cn and the rest of the models :D

I've had my primary runtime in your Twisty and Clicky thread for a while, put I guess you never saw it, here's a quote:

Just finished the primary runtime test:

RA Clicky 140-Cn
Battery Station CR123A
Level 22 - 100 lumens
---------------------------

107 minutes before stepdown

---------------------------

Wow, that took a long time, but it was worth it.

That's some crazy runtime, these Clicky's are efficient, and the regulation is so ruler straight, no drop in output at all over the run until the stepdown.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Actually I've got the record for primary runtime on the 140-Cn and the rest of the models :D

I've had my primary runtime in your Twisty and Clicky thread for a while, put I guess you never saw it, here's a quote:

:eek:

woops!

And the winner is Shomie911!
haha.. sorry, i'll get ya in there.

grinsekatz

Newly Enlightened

Oops, I only watched at the RCRs. For primaries not bad, Thanks. :cool:
Congratulations to Shomie911! :thumbsup:

Alex

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem that appears to be new to the Ra Clicky's -- I just received my clip today (yes, I was lazy and didn't mail in the form until last week) and when I install the clip on my Ra-140C, it will NOT shut off until I unscrew the battery compartment! Just inserting the supplied Ra screws does nothing. It definitely is a combination of the screw, clip and the clip touching the bezel that is causing some kind of short circuit. Just holding the clip on the Clicky does nothing either. I've called and left a message at HDS Systems, but as others have posted, Henry is probably gone to the SHOT show by now. Anyone else have this problem yet ? Other than this problem my 140C has been working fine, never been dropped, etc.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a problem that appears to be new to the Ra Clicky's -- I just received my clip today (yes, I was lazy and didn't mail in the form until last week) and when I install the clip on my Ra-140C, it will NOT shut off until I unscrew the battery compartment! Just inserting the supplied Ra screws does nothing. It definitely is a combination of the screw, clip and the clip touching the bezel that is causing some kind of short circuit. Just holding the clip on the Clicky does nothing either. I've called and left a message at HDS Systems, but as others have posted, Henry is probably gone to the SHOT show by now. Anyone else have this problem yet ? Other than this problem my 140C has been working fine, never been dropped, etc.

Do you think it's making an electrical connection between the screw holes and the tail-cap? Or could it be the pressure from the clip pushing on the tail-cap?

How does the anno look where the clip meets the tail-cap? Have you tried putting an insulator in between the clip and the tail-cap, just to rule out an electrical connection? Stick a credit card or a piece of electrical tape in between the clip and the tail-cap, does it still happen?

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Do you think it's making an electrical connection between the screw holes and the tail-cap? Or could it be the pressure from the clip pushing on the tail-cap?

How does the anno look where the clip meets the tail-cap? Have you tried putting an insulator in between the clip and the tail-cap, just to rule out an electrical connection? Stick a credit card or a piece of electrical tape in between the clip and the tail-cap, does it still happen?
Clip touching the tail-cap is not the problem. It's the clip touching the bezel and then the screw in the holes that's causing the short circuit. Problem is present with or without electrical tape between the tail-cap and the clip. If I tape the bezel then the short does NOT occur and I can operate the Clicky in the normal fashion.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I tape the bezel then the short does NOT occur and I can operate the Clicky in the normal fashion.

Not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

What happens if you reverse the clip, point the long end towards the bezel and insert the screws, does it still happen then? If so, that's really weird.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

What happens if you reverse the clip, point the long end towards the bezel and insert the screws, does it still happen then? If so, that's really weird.
Yes, exactly. If I reverse the clip, and point the long end towards the bezel and then insert the screws AND then push on the clip until it touches the bezel the light WILL turn on. With the clip reversed and screwed in, it does NOT touch the bezel unless I apply a slight pressure to the clip. As soon as the clip touches the bezel the light turns on.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, exactly. If I reverse the clip, and point the long end towards the bezel and then insert the screws AND then push on the clip until it touches the bezel the light WILL turn on. With the clip reversed and screwed in, it does NOT touch the bezel unless I apply a slight pressure to the clip. As soon as the clip touches the bezel the light turns on.

That's not good. I thought the body of the head and bezel were electrically common. You must be missing some anodizing inside the screw holes and/or something else is wrong, like something soldered to something that shouldn't be inside the head.

You could try squirting some non-conductive (and removable) goo down in the screw holes. That might get you through until Henry has a solution for you.

If you have a multimeter, you could try measuring the voltage dropped between the bezel and the screw holes. Not sure how that would help, but it would be interesting to find out.

Let us know what happens.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
That's not good. I thought the body of the head and bezel were electrically common. You must be missing some anodizing inside the screw holes and/or something else is wrong, like something soldered to something that shouldn't be inside the head....
As a matter of fact as I shine a light down into the screw holes they both appear to be totally shiny and therefore NO annodizing is present. I had always assumed the screw holes were supposed to be like that, i.e. no annodizing. Are you saying your Clicky's screw holes ARE annodized ?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a matter of fact as I shine a light down into the screw holes they both appear to be totally shiny and therefore NO annodizing is present. I had always assumed the screw holes were supposed to be like that, i.e. no annodizing. Are you saying your Clicky's screw holes ARE annodized ?

I thought they were, but now that I double check, they are not.

Something must be wrong internally.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished filing my Arc clip.....
Sorry for the crappy Blackberry pic.
But I just love this clip, feels just right :thumbsup:

a0gkcy.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
I thought they were, but now that I double check, they are not.

Something must be wrong internally.

Mine are anodized to about 1/3 of the way down. I checked my light, shorting from the bare bottom of the holes to the bezel. No problems were found. Sounds like it's just a bad light.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Enzo Morocioli said:
My friend and I will be getting some of those tonight. Sit tight.
Whoops! I'm Enzo's lazy friend in question. I haven't spent much time around here the last few days, but I've got our beamshots uploaded. There's just one problem... I'm a dummy. Halfway through taking the shots, I said, "we should be taking notes to keep everything straight," and then I failed to act on my own advice, thus guaranteeing that I would have trouble getting it all straightened out later. Also, we tried to get some color shots, but I didn't think to let the camera auto-expose them to equalize brightness, so I just kept on with the manual exposures like I'd used for the wall shots. And we were in a rush and had some trouble maintaining aiming consistency too, so some of the shots just didn't work and I didn't notice until I reviewed them later. I later tried to make up for that by doing some more color shots on my own using Enzo's 140Cn, my 140Cgt, my Inova T1-K2TFFC (my former best led tint), and my Malkoff M60WL (my new best led tint); these came out ok, but I had to toss some of the Cgt shots because for some reason they just did not come out the way I saw them in person, making it look inferior to the Cn. For those shots, please keep in mind that my M60WL is significantly warmer than the wwCn, though their rendering qualities are still quite similar. So, overall, I'm very disappointed in how the shots came out and I don't think they show much that will really be helpful. However, since Enzo did promise them, here's the link to the beamshots folder, so you all may take whatever you can from them, with a grain of salt:

http://picasaweb.google.com/saturnnyne/ClickyBeamshots#

Also, the wall shots aren't good for giving an idea of tint, the wall is actually slightly blue; the Cgt is fairly accurately showing the color of the wall, it's not actually ghastly blue compared to the other lights, as it sometimes appears here.

Enzo Morocioli said:
Ok... Guys, I recieved my Ra-100WW-CN from HDS today.... and....

It's... the flashlight I've been waiting for my whole life.

. . . The color rendering is great. It does seem golden when shone on a white wall, but when you look at anything with color and texture, it looks so much more natural.
I got to try out Enzo's light on our quick beamshot night... and I don't know what more I can say to tell you how impressed I was. As he said, the light it emits truly is just beautiful; golden, soothing, comfortable on the eyes, vibrant colors, good throw... Despite the lower output, I felt that it didn't give up too much spotting ability simply because (to both our eyes) it rendered the target with such improved definition. I don't recall if we did a direct throw comparison against his Cn, but I can say that the wwCn at 100 gave a better view at a distance than my Cgt at 140. This is, of course, to be expected, since the narrow beam would give it a very slight advantage despite a step lower output according to my calculations. However, the difference was more dramatic than a difference in quantity, the tint just allowed it to function better for us. I have to admit, seeing the WW left me feeling a little unsatisfied with my own GT. As much as I love the practicality of the wide beam and the amazing runtime, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist getting a wwCn now that I've seen what it can do.

Enzo Morocioli said:
Outdoors, this thing is a beauty. Let me show you a picture.
Those pictures do show a bit of the difference, you can kind of see the improved color distinction with the warm emitter, but I've seen the light in person and I think the photos don't really do the effect justice. I wish we'd had more time to take some outdoor shots with the various lights, find a way to really give an idea how nice it looks.

Out of interest, has anybody calculated how long you can run the light on burst, with continuous 10 second uses, before a primary would be unable to power the burst feature?
I haven't tried it with a primary, but I did run through an RCR on burst. I wasn't really watching the time closely since I was really just trying to get the light heated up to see if it would have an effect on the flickering at low levels, but I got roughly 30 minutes of bursting on a 900mah BS RCR (it should be noted that I've found this cell to perform no better than my 750mah AWs, despite claim of additional capacity).

I wonder if it's possible to add some type of tint or filter cover on the 140cn and produce a similar beam to the 100ww-cn. Even if you lose ~40 lumens from the filter to get the same effect, it would still be good.
I don't think much good can be done with a subtractive method. Either the cool emitters just won't have enough red to give the appearance of the warms (seriously, the amount of red content is striking) or (if possible, I don't really know), in order to balance the spectrum similarly by keeping whatever red it does have and dropping everything else down to the proper balance, you would cut the output to a small fraction of where you started. A 40lm drop is, I think, wildly optimistic. If it did work, I'd think it good to get even 40lm total output remaining.

I could clearly see the eyes reflecting light from the beam of the flashlight. However apart from that i could not tell what it was. Everything looked almost the same colour and the animal appeared to be camouflaged in the foliage of leaves.
Great story, thank you for sharing that! Sounds like a fun adventure. I think that does a good job of illustrating exactly the problem I have with cool tints, the way they tend to blend everything together in a greyish haze, allowing the target to easily camouflage in with the surroundings. However, I think there is also another effect at work there: not only was the other light an incan, it was also lighting the target from a point much farther away from you. Through positioning of the light, I am able to replicate your experience using only one light. When I'm out walking in a large open field and I want to check on the moving shapes at the edge of my walking lights reach, I'll pull out a spotting light, usually in a tactical grip and held near my face, and try for a better look. Sometimes, especially at short distances, this is fine. Sometimes, all I see is a pair of eyes reflecting in a haze, but if I move the light as far from being aligned with my eyes as possible by holding it at arms length, suddenly I can see that it's a deer. I'm not sure exactly how much of a role the environment plays in this, so possibly it was less of a factor for you, but it's definitely significant in my ocean-misty atmosphere, and the more moisture in the air the more necessary it is to pick the right angle of illumination.

This effect can also be taken advantage of in the opposite way. When I'm not trying to get a better look at a known target but instead scanning for potential threats, I align the light directly with my eyes to maximize the range at which I can catch eye reflections. A dramatic example of this is when lighting the eyes of certain spiders; you can hardly see them when holding a light normally, but with it aligned properly you can see them shining like diamonds at 50 feet.

Finally got around to taking a couple beamshots of my 100WWCn Clicky. . . The tint was best described by Enzo as "golden" on the Clicky...it's absolutely gorgeous. Color redention I'd say is at least 90% as good as the Nichia 083....which to my eyes appears perfect. Like Enzo, I have found the EDC of my dreams, and have been searching 2.5yrs for a light like this.
Nice job on those shots, they do a good job of showing how much richer the warm tones are on the WW. I don't have much experience with the 083, but I've seen Enzo's 083 D10 and previously compared it to some of my lights. I can't really say anything definite without having done a direct comparison, but I agree that the color rendition of these warm emitters seems to leave little to be desired even when compared against the current best. As I told Enzo when I saw it, the warm tint just looks "natural and right." Though I love my Cgt for many things, I fear my priorities at this stage of the game bring the wwCn closer to being my ideal edc.

And as for the clip, I highly recommend the Arc4 clip that's been mentioned in the clip thread. A bit of filing to get it to fit and it works great!

Cgt...58R...93P
Cn....59R...92P
C.....58R...95P
How interesting that your runtimes were all so similar between the different models, despite the trend we've seen toward significant differences between them. I'm going to go ahead and conclude then that Clicky runtimes have more to do with the strength of their owner's spirit than anything else, rather like Link's master sword.

BTW, I was one of the first recipients of the clicky (from UT)...
It's handsfull, get him! :) Mate, you have no idea how worked up you got luxlover. Your Clicky was one of the very first to ship out, so when you didn't reappear to confirm receipt of it in a timely fashion, he was just about ready to lead a search party to see what had befallen you. Anyway, good to see you came back, stop by my Clicky serial registry if you're so inclined.

Just finished filing my Arc clip.....
Sorry for the crappy Blackberry pic.
But I just love this clip, feels just right
I'm right with you there! I just got my Arc clip filed and mounted, and what a difference! My light feels complete now, it has a clip that works perfectly and doesn't interfere with use, just what I was expecting to receive with the light originally. :thumbsup:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each hole needs to be filed a bit, since the holes on the RaClicky are closer together than the older HDS.

So if your holdling the clip in front of you, each hole has to be filed towards the clip.

Last edited:

grinsekatz

Newly Enlightened
How interesting that your runtimes were all so similar between the different models, despite the trend we've seen toward significant differences between them. I'm going to go ahead and conclude then that Clicky runtimes have more to do with the strength of their owner's spirit than anything else, rather like Link's master sword.

Yes, interesting and astounding. :huh:
If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it. :thinking:
I will redo the test, at least with RCR.

Alex

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried a runtime test with AW's new IMR RCR123's ? IIRC this new chemistry rechargeable may get lower runtime at medium and low current draws but at high current draw may get better runtime. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that - I can't seem to find where I read that at the moment. So at level 22 maybe this would out perform the regular black label AW RCR123's. I've got a couple if I can find the lights they are in. I can't say I've got time to do the test but if no one else has I'll try to do one against the regular black label.

Status
Not open for further replies.