RED led Inova X5T - 3.6v rcr123 safe for this?

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
I can't find a definitive answer to this question no matter how much I search!

Will my red Inova X5T go poof if I use one of my RCR123 3.6v rechargeable batteries after the supplied 3.0v duracell primary runs out?

I have two dozen 3.6v RCR123's that I use for all of my luxeon, K2 & cree lights which work great. But I'm not sure if the 5mm leds in the Inova can handle the increased voltage.

Keep in mind that this red X5T only uses one battery.

I hate using "throw away" primary batteries but I don't want to wreck my X5T. I love this little tank of a light even if it doesn't compare in throw or brightness of my other lights!

Thanks!

Gratuitous shot of my red X5T to add some flair to this post:

6yvepzl.jpg

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
If I remember right, you'll blow it using an RCR123..

I think you're probably right too, but it's so tempting to pop in a 3.6v and pray for the best.

I sent my question directly to [email protected] . Hopefully they can give me a solid answer and maybe a min-max voltage range for the light.

Hopefully they'll respond and I'll be able to put this long-standing question to sleep for good.

davidra

Enlightened
Me neither. I've got one, and it's my "stumble around the bedroom" light, and it's also my "use up what juice is left in my already partially used 123's" because it runs great on low volts, but I wouldn't push it that hard at all.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
I received a reply from Inova, they stated that it was "permitted" to use rechargeable batteries in their X5's, but never mentioned the voltage aspect.

So,

I decided to take one for the team and risk ruining my X5T to finally answer this question.

I popped in a generic RCR123 that tested at 3.85v on my multimeter. Turned it on and...............everything is fine so far.

The output appears to be the same as a primary 3.0v battery which, to me, is good because it doesn't appear that the increase in voltage is resulting in the leds being over driven.

It's been on for a while now (30+mins) on the RCR123 with no problems.

At least it is a solid confirmation that the extra voltage of an RCR123 will not instantly fry a RED X5T. I have no idea how RCR123s would affect the other X5s that require two batteries.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take off the tailcap and test the current with a multi meter.

I really think this would fry the X5 if you put one straight off the charger @4.2v.

I think the red X5 is direct drive, so not safe.

I think the white ones use a resitor not a buck circuit. A buck circuit would be safe but a resistor not.

keep in mind that Customer service is generally someone getting paid minimum wage and may not have a clue.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
Well, the baseline current draw with a primary 3.0v battery is: 162mA

With the RCR123: my multimeter doesn't go above 200 and it's off the charts.

You were right Cave Dave, I don't know why I didn't think to test current draw. Seems like the leds are being way overdriven. Boo :shakehead

It also proves that I need another multimeter that can measure above 200mA