Reflectors are toast

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
Re: Little Tykes Camera and Vehicle Lighting Accessories

I assumed that they were mounted on a vehicle, as the photo did not say otherwise. Did you take the picture, or is the picture somewhere else where the conditions under which the photo was taken are described?

Were they to be mounted on a vehicle, which in turn was on a level floor, then they'd be seriously misaimed, as the hotspot is well above horizontal based on a 10' hoop height and the 19' 9" to 23' 9" distance of the 3-point line (which varies according to the type of court it is). Additionally, the hotspot appears to be left of center, which is not a great idea for right-hand traffic.

My "conclusion" is that they seem to be glare monsters. This is my opinion, but despite the limitations of photographs of beamshots, I would expect that others would also form the same (subjective) opinion. Again, this is exactly why rather than beamshots, we need isoplots and photometric compliance reports.

Alright, so it was based on a beamshot. That's all I wanted to know.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Little Tykes Camera and Vehicle Lighting Accessories

I didn't "imply" it, I out-and-out asserted it. And I was (and am) right. You're claiming the Morimoto projectors are acceptable, perhaps even better than that. As proof you offer no data, no compliance report, nothing at all but insistence that amounts to "trust me" and some sloppily-taken photographs. You're simply going to have to do better than that if you're to be taken seriously.

neither have you, you are doing exactly the same thing he does but from different end, not once you offered any data, to prove anyone wrong, all you have , is "i know better than you" so why should anyone take you more seriously then him???

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid I don't. My parting words might be for you to talk to those "real" scientist friends of yours. You may be surprised to find the importance of anecdotal evidence, and in the absence of that, the importance of educated guessing, also known as hypothesizing.
Moving up from the hypothesis (or, essentially, an educated guess) is the theory. Theories are based on testable, reproducible data. Hence the need for testing equipment.

Could you imagine if Copernicus needed compliance reports from the church?
They couldn't produce them. They just had a "believe us, the world is the center of the universe" without any evidence. Copernicus actually had a theory.

Anyway, my iPhone example is perfect. It proves that you think you know everything, when in fact you don't. Look up Foxconn. Good day, and savour getting in the last word. You win.

Isn't Foxconn headquartered in Taiwan, with a plant in Tucheng? Don't confuse the Republic of China with the People's Republic of China.

Qship1996

Enlightened
The "new" iphone is priced at $199-399 here in the D.C. area, not $900-- not that an iphone has anything to do with automotive lighting,but just saying........and the previous iphone was not without its share of major problems anyways......like reception issues just by holding it in your hands that interfered with the antenna!!!!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What's with the changing of the thread title? "Little Tykes............"? Not appropriate to change a thread title when posting, except when change is made by OP for clarification, or by Mods/Administrators.

I am not sure that this thread is going to last much longer. My concern is the legality of modded/tuned headlights being discussed in this thread. If not legal then this thread will be closed.

Bill

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
My concern is the legality of modded/tuned headlights being discussed in this thread. If not legal then this thread will be closed.

Bill
well according to some modin or tuning headlights is illegal by defalt, yet no one linked to actual law that says it.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
I think you will sooner than later discover that it costs more (time, money, work) to do a halfaѕѕ job than to do it correctly. Sounds like you are accumulating something of a pile of spare reflectors. Send a picture with dimensions to this outfit, tell them they're headlamp reflectors, and request a quote for recoating them.

Half the time I get away with it and half the time I don't. I have to watch what I am spending. I'll give them a buzz. Thanks

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
you got a point there, but i doubt barely\almost not noticable by eye degradation of reflective surfice, is what makes op looking to paint the reflectors. he pbly cooked the hell out of them with those aftermaket higher wattage bulbs, imo
like you said, i guess i didn't notice, my oldest car was 10 yeas old, headlights didn't look worn out, and i didn't feel they were inadequate as illumination equipment, they lit up the road just fine, at least that is what it looked like.
lol, if anything i think headlights on my 2011 sonata suck

You need to work harder at forming opinions. What on earth aftermarket bulbs are you talking about?

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
I can't take it anymore....for exactly what year Galant is it so difficult to get a set of replacement headlights? I'm just amazed that it can possibly be so expensive and difficult that anyone would consider installing projectors or sending their housing to be refurbished.

89-93 Galant...only 3000 Galant VR-4's were produced for the USDM. I'd say only half of them remain now. Sure there were base model Galants produced during those years but there aren't many left....at least on the East Coast.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
That's a good question that should've been answered long ago. Have you (original poster) checked with a dealer to see what a new pair of headlamps will cost?

No, I haven't. Someone advises that they have a set of 93 headlights (which are supposed to be superior) (in what way I cannot be certain) brand new for $260 bucks. My concern is one rock on the highway and it's all over.

:(

Qship1996

Enlightened
No, I haven't. Someone advises that they have a set of 93 headlights (which are supposed to be superior) (in what way I cannot be certain) brand new for $260 bucks. My concern is one rock on the highway and it's all over.

:(

Yeah, every single automotive owner/operator in the world takes the same risk every time they drive.....same with windshield glass.....not a valid reason not to replace either is it? $260/pair is a screaming bargain for brand new OEM headlamp assemblies{mine are over $1000/pair}

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, every single automotive owner/operator in the world takes the same risk every time they drive.....same with windshield glass.....not a valid reason not to replace either is it? $260/pair is a screaming bargain for brand new OEM headlamp assemblies{mine are over $1000/pair}

Wish I had a thicker wallet, when you don't you have to pause and consider things. Besides, if that does happen, I'll be in the same boat again and possibly even more restricted to one model year or having to switch headlight years yet again....unless the glass is interchangeable.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to work harder at forming opinions. What on earth aftermarket bulbs are you talking about?
guess you are not using them, my bad, i just have not seen many ppl "more like 0" that needed to change lights cuz reflectors worn out, unless they used bulbs with higher wattage that did destroy lights, in most cases.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
guess you are not using them, my bad, i just have not seen many ppl "more like 0" that needed to change lights cuz reflectors worn out, unless they used bulbs with higher wattage that did destroy lights, in most cases.

That's ok. No biggie, take a look at some of those threads and you will see it's an issue on these. Looks like people are having the same trouble on this model. I had no idea that using higher wattage bulbs did that. I have used them on other vehicles. Guess I learned something. :)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's ok. No biggie, take a look at some of those threads and you will see it's an issue on these. Looks like people are having the same trouble on this model. I had no idea that using higher wattage bulbs did that. I have used them on other vehicles. Guess I learned something. :)
my friend installed those "aftermarket, super white" bulbs on his pathfinder, they fused to the reflector, he couldn't get them out when they burned out, and entire light had to be changed, but other cars that used aftermarket bulbs were fine, guess it depends on how much over the speced wattage bulb you install.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Since the topic is hot...here are some threads to kind of visualize this whole headlight mess:

Headlight Choices:

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads...pe=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post885663

93 headlights (blacking out the top of the reflector)

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads...pe=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post828110

A brief scan of those posts seems like typical kids attempting cosmetic changes to make their headlamps look different and attention grabbing more than actually fixing real problems with the lamps? certainly the 1993 model lamps swap is being coveted due to the change from fluted glass earlier model lamps to the clear non fluted lens of later models.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
my friend installed those "aftermarket, super white" bulbs on his pathfinder, they fused to the reflector, he couldn't get them out when they burned out, and entire light had to be changed, but other cars that used aftermarket bulbs were fine, guess it depends on how much over the speced wattage bulb you install.

Wow, I used some of the Hella offroad 100w clear bulbs and they did pretty well. I guess some of it also depends on the housing.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEPO aren't very good, IIRC.

Wonder if sealing is the issue and that crap is getting into the headlamp and vaporizing...