Reliable, Brightest & Cheapest RED Laser Pointer ?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a Reliable, Brightest & Cheapest RED Laser Pointer...

Preferably operated by AAA or AA or even CR2 or CR123

I have ones that run on multiple LR44 ... problem is that... Runtime is LOW

Any Pointing Links will greatly be appriciated

I can pay a price.. if it demands ... but generally looking for a cheaper alternative

Thanks in Advance...

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Reliable, Brightest & Cheapest RED Laser Point

abeland1.com

Arnold's red lasers are probably the best deal out there. A little more than an extreme cheepie but well worth it IMO..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back in 1998 I got a nice 2xAAA 5mW one from Target for 14 bucks!! That was deal back then. Perhaps they still have laser pointers?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great Help... Thanks A Billion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Atlas Nova is the one to go ... ?

I just looked at the eBay profile ... 100% from more than 8000 users...

the lasers must be good...

IssacHayes ... do you too have the same kind 5mW or more powerful ?

The main reason that i need a good & powerful pointer is that i have to change batteries frequently from a cheapo ($1) keychain type pointer (i dont know the mW of the pointer) but presume it is less than the 5mW Atlas Nova...

I am going to have a big presentaiton in front of a senator here... and i do not like the pointer to go DIM during the presentation... ... its an important presentation... so have to keep myself equipped for it..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Red laser is listed on the label as 5mW. Some you buy are 1mW or less rating. It is brighter than my teachers large unit that is labeled 5mW. It is all black, small, 2xAAA and is built of brass! Sometimes you have to clean the tail cap off but that's easy as it's a flat surface. The batteries go in negative side first. kind of different. I still have the original batteries in it, I just checked!! haha!! They are fine and power up great!

I just realized where you're location was. I don't think that there are "Target" stores in India but I may be wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd reccomend a good 2xAAA 5mW unit. That should do you just fine. There are more powerfull ones out there but they are expensive and rare in Red. I think I saw a 10mW one on ebay once. 5mW should do you fine for that job.

Either one of the lasers at abeland1.com shoud do you good and the prices are acceptable. 650nm is the same wavelength as mine a nice pure cherry red. 650nm 5mW is plenty bright. But if you want to pay double they have a 635nm one that will appear brighter because it will be more of a red-orange color. How much I don't know.

Hope this helps!!

Raccoon

Enlightened

Also. You want to get the 635nm "red" (slightly orange) pointer for $22, as opposed to the 650nm red for $11. You really get your money's worth with 'Abe'.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Raccoon: The lower wavelength is really that much brighter? I personally like true red color, but I've never seen a 635nm one in person...

Raccoon

Enlightened

I have heard at least one person say they prefered the 650nm color, but that's just a matter of opinion. I would say the 635nm has a brighter appearance, but is still of the red spectrum. Just not quite so crimson red.

It certainly stands out better than any red pointer I've seen used at lectures here on campus, while still pleasing to the eye. But then again, I have never purchased one of Arnold's 650nm's either.

Choice is yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This chart may give you a perspective of the color difference. One could say 650nm is pure red, and 600nm is pure orange. Then 625nm would be an orange-red, so 635nm is more of a red-orange. But again, this is all relative to the viewer's definition of color.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I agree with your naming of colors of the wavelengths hehe. I think I like the 650 because you don't see that true of a red light often because car tailights etc are more red-orangish etc.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened

Actually, the 635 is a higher wavelength than the 650. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

xenophobe, I think your're confused. 635nm. nanometers is wavelegth. 635 is a lower wavelength, but higher frequecny than 650nm has.

Example,
IR is high wavelength, low frequency.
UV is a low wavelength, high frequency.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think i will go in for a Red 650 one... the quality & the looks are good enough ....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really thank you guys for helping me out ...

I wish we had a "Target" store ... may be in a few months or a year or so .. that will sure happen... most of us brands and stores are coming here off late.... feels good

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

ViReN, no problem. The 650 should do you just fine. Not sure what stores you have a Wal-mart or K-mart or other US stores there but they might even have pointers.. then again maybe not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I'm not even sure that Target has them anymore, I got mine in 1998!!

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

Target has pointers. In the flaslight aisle. I was hunting for closeout Dorcy's and coming up empty, I bought a pair of the "Neo-Glow" brand $5.99 red pointer that also has a blue LED flashlight in it.

Not much to write home about. Three LR44 button cells + three spares, and the pointer/flashlight on a keychain fob. I destroyed the first one looking to see if I could short any resistors to overdrive it. Not by the shorting, but by pressing off the head. The laser diode is open-faced right on the PCB, and is held in place by the thick head/lens assembly with glue. Oh well. It was cute enough I bought another to use as-is. The blue LED flouresces some plastics and day-glow papers nicely.

Whatever cheapie brand Target brought in to replace the discontinued Dorcy's also has a "bullet style" keychain pointer in it's lineup as well.

Vikz

Newly Enlightened

Viren, hold on a second! aap india se hai or aap mujh sei pooch sakthe thei! mei ab england mei rehtha ho, meri ma abhi abhi india sei ah rahi hai aur usne dekha ke hari rang ka laser vaha nahi melta hei, to mene USA to order karke le leya hei... aap kei pass credit card hei? agar hei to aap z-bolt.com sei order kar sakte hai. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vikz

Newly Enlightened

hope that helps lol

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

hehehe... yep it sure Vikz

Its nice to see some one from native language over CPF... maa ji ko mera pranam kehna...

you know.. i have to make a presentation next month end or so in front of "mantri ji" ... it's about current water situation, distribution network & State's Water Body Performance over past 25 years here in Maharashtra...

Green Lasers Rock... they are expensive though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... i had thought of using it in this special presentation... but cost's are prohibitive .. further more.. it might distract him... and his more interest would lie in the Greenie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .... he might very well "want" one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I normally buy things from ebay, yahoo store... etc... i will have a look at z-bolt.com too... and for security reasons.. the i have this one card specifically for net... i call it as "Net CC" ... (just in case if there are any problems)... the Bank will take care of it...

5mW Atlas Nova .. also is one of the great options... my PP finger is drooling all over this laser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vikz

Newly Enlightened

you can do what i did... bid off ebay? that seems like a very important presentation...

it would be good if you had a greenie, youd prob be the only one with that there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, youd be the envy of all your friends too lol.

id just recommend a cheap greenie from ebay if you can or just get a good red one that takes AAA batteries.

thanks, and i wish you loads of luck on your presentation, i hope he takes into consideration all your views. and its really cool what your doing! all i can say is Exellent Job and keep it up!

Raccoon

Enlightened

I don't mean to sound like a heretic, but I've found from personal experience that even low power green lasers don't make great presentation pointers in most cases.

If your audience has to read stuff on the screen, a green pointer messes up their contrast and the ability to read words.

If the room is dimly lit, the green pointer causes the audience's eyes to adjust to the bright light (even if its low power) making the presentation difficult to enjoy.

The green light is very dazzling and may even cause an epileptic distraction to the viewer, decreasing memory retention of the material being presented.

I highly recommend a strong red or red-orange laser for presentations instead, as it can be seen easily and viewed comfortably. Arnold also sells these for $11 and $22 respectively.