Removing a rusted on motor sheave

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I tried the normal methods & got nowhere. The shaft would certainly press out but the motor housing was too large to fit my arbor press. So I removed the shaft & sheave using PlanB :nana:

The motor was already scrap but the sheave is needed for my bandsaw VFD conversion, details to follow in another thread.

https://youtu.be/T4Ru_GHyKyE

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is that it's good to have options.
Options come from experience which gives us time to think, as opposed to say hitting it really hard with a hammer several times.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yep... the more toys that you have, the more options you have.

I would not have thought to use the bandsaw. Thanks for that. I would have thought to use...

a) The 10 ton porta power hydraulic jack with the duckbill
portapower06.jpg

b) A gear puller

c) a bit of heat and Kroil

d) A 20T press

Ten years ago, my only choice would have been...

e) A BFH and some wedges.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Watching your video, I noticed an allen set screw, that I would have pulled and put some penetrating oil into it. I'm curious, did you miss that, and is that what kept your other methods from failing?

A fire wrench, gear puller and BFH should have worked.

But yeah... more experience, more tools, more options. :thumbsup:
I gave away my band saw, but a angle grinder, or sawzall would have made short work of that too. :)

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Watching your video, I noticed an allen set screw, that I would have pulled and put some penetrating oil into it. I'm curious, did you miss that,
Actually there are two set screws, one for the inner sheave face & another for the outer face as this is an adjustable pitch unit.

A fire wrench, gear puller and BFH should have worked.
I needed to remove the sheave in an undamaged state for reuse.

an angle grinder, or sawzall would have made short work of that too. :)
The cutoff disc on my 4.5" angle grinder isn't large enough to reach the shaft. None of my friends own a Sawzall ...

My largest gear puller is a great option for pulling (drum roll please) ... gears. Gears are generally thicker & more difficult to break while sheaves, especially two piece adjustable cast iron sheaves, are thinner & more fragile. Concentrating thousands of pounds of force on three pressure points in an invitation to disaster IMHO.

Which leaves pressing as the safest choice. The sheave has nearly 100% support which distributes pressure over the largest available area resulting in the smallest pressure per square unit.

I learned all that on YouTube :crackup:

Last edited: