Removing snap ring inside a D Mag with switch still in place?

Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's happened again. The second of my two oldest Mags has been ruined by leaking alkalines. The first was early to mid-90's Minimag with a TacStar upgrade that included a screw-on AA extension, high output bulb, and metal reflector. Both the main body and exentsion were destroyed. I was heartbroken. This time it's my old 4D Mag from around the same time period I think (has D serial). Yes, I know better than to store alkalines in anything... just forgot the damn things were in there.

One or two of the batts near the tailcap are stuck with a good amount of corrosion preventing removal, but the other two are still loose (can tell by shaking it around). I've already tried placing a dowel on top of the switch tower, and hammering down to get the batts out the bottom, but no go. The other idea is to take the switch, and remaining loose batts out the front, but I can't get get the snap ring out. I've tried with a few different screwdrivers, and can't even begin to work one of the sides out as the switch is pushed up against it, and gets in the way of being able to hook an end.

Has anyone gotten that ring out with the switch in place?

I

inetdog

Enlightened
I would (carefully) attack the battery with a drill or other tools so that the remains could be peeled off the inside of the tube instead of driven past it.
The swollen battery is exerting a lot of outward force against the inside of the tube.
Disclaimer: I have not actually tried this myself as I do not have any valuable lights in this condition.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No success getting the ring out yet. I was able to get the tip of a heavy duty dental pick under either end, but it still didn't create enough purchase to do anything with a screwdriver. It'd be nice to have the proper tool, and I'm assuming it exists. Web search forthcoming.

Worse comes to worse, I may go your suggested route, inetdog. Saw some posts and vids about drilling a self-tapping screw into the battery, yanking the guts out, peeling off the rest, etc.

I definitely want to save this host, and resurrect it into my new FM1909!

Hallis

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just undo the little allen screw inside the switch assembly, remove the bulb or whatever and then take a small piece of PVC pipe, put it over the tower and down on to the base of the switch assembly, and then just beat the PVC pipe, it'll push the switch assembly down, and hopefylly break the sells free below it.

alpg88

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you wont be able ro remove the ring that easy, switch tower has a groove, and ring sits almost flush, unless you move switch tower a bit down ring wont come out.

do what hallis said, but move the switch just enough to clear the ring from the tower, pbly 1\16 - 1\8 should be enough.

Last edited:
W

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have drilled out AA batteries doing the following. Drill as large a hole as possible through the center of the battery. Then I used a sharp wood chisel to cut the edge of the battery, this will probably score the inside of the battery tube. Then a sharp, thin piece of metal like an ice pick, running it down close to the edge of where the chisel cut. This should move that part of the battery inside towards the drilled hole. I then use a pair of needle nose pliers to collapse the rest of the battery in toward the drilled hole. Some Scotch Brite to clean the inside of the battery tube. Take everything out of the battery tube and clean with some vinegar. If you have a set of cylinder hones, that does a good job as well. Word to the wise - after all is done, make sure that any new batteries slide in and out with no problems.

think2x

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loosen the set screw on the switch and get it pushed down an 1/8". Take a small flat screwdriver, not the super small ones but one with width on the blade yet thin enough to get behind the edge of the ring. Turn the screwdriver instead of pry, EI if you are using the left side of the driver turn clockwise, if using the right side turn counter-clockwise. As you turn the ring will slip out of the groove on that one side, slightly pull up on the driver at an angle or slide another small screwdriver between the ring and groove while its pried in. Hope that makes some sense.

P

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big question I have to ask is, why? It's not an older pre-D MagLite. Unless it has sentimental value, why go through all this trouble? Also, some battery manufacturers warranty their batteries against leakage and you can file a claim with them. You'll end up with a check for a new replacement light.

W

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big question I have to ask is, why? It's not an older pre-D MagLite. Unless it has sentimental value, why go through all this trouble? Also, some battery manufacturers warranty their batteries against leakage and you can file a claim with them. You'll end up with a check for a new replacement light.

+1

Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses!

The sentimental value is that it's been with me for many years with memories attached, been on many road trips, been kept in outstanding shape, and has always worked without fail. That said, I'm weighing the options, and have been considering just hacksawing the thing in half with the batts still in it. All remaining good parts will be absorbed into other mods, both present and future.

Before my OP, I had already loosened the set screw and lightly beat down on the bulb tower using a dowel and hammer to no avail. And, though the top two batts seem loose, for some reason I can't push the switch housing down at all.

Have cutting oil... will report back. :devil:

alpg88

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if everything fails, pour hydrogen peroxide in there and let it sit, it works great dissolving leaked alkaline stuff. it may loosen the cells inside.

Hallis

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
if everything fails, pour hydrogen peroxide in there and let it sit, it works great dissolving leaked alkaline stuff. it may loosen the cells inside.

^ This might work out. Be sure to do so in a ventilated area.

eebowler

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an old bicycle spoke with the end that attaches to the hub, straigtened. Turn the ring with a small screwdriver so an end of the spring is showing in the gap in the switch assembly. Hook one end of the spring with the spoke and pull up...

kosPap

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
i di the something with a O size flat screwdriver.
Courage Bimmerboy!

Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
SUCCESS!! The light is saved!

Spent more frustrating, fruitless time with the thing today, and just when I was about to get out the hack saw to turn it into a 0 D Maglite, I remembered this post...

Courage Bimmerboy!
Thank you very much for that, Kostas. It was inspirational, and it got me to try one last time.

Here's how I did it...

Nothing was working. Neither white vinegar, nor Hydrogen Peroxide did anything to dissolve the thickly caked up corrosion. It softened a little on the surface, but was still hard underneath. I drilled a big screw into the battery, clamped a Vise Grip onto it and tried to muscle it out barehanded. No way was it even close to budging. I found an old can of "Liquid Wrench" penetrating oil, let it soak through till it reached the switch on the other end, and tried pulling again. No way. I was about to either dislocate a shoulder, or something was going to slip and crack me in the face, so I gave up that idea. In fact, it was at this point that I was seriously thinking of giving up altogether.

As a desperate last attempt, I got the hammer and dowel again figuring I'd hit harder than last time. The battery was still locked in tight and would not move, but what happened is some of the battery tops started to dent which allowed me to move the switch down about 1/8th inch. The light at the end of the tunnel was beginning to shine... I could probably get the ring out now!! Got a screwdriver, and after a bunch of tries at getting an end out of the groove (it now had oil all over it and was spinning around), I finally hooked it the right way and pulled it up! YAYYYY!!

Freak thing though. It managed to hook the other end on the edge of the switch button hole, and got stuck, so I got the screwdriver under it, but one of my fingers was near the hole, and the end of the ring gave me a nice little slice somehow as I yanked it out of the tube. No matter... a little soreness while playing guitar is a small price to pay for the happiness I felt when the switch, and three batteries fell out!

Next, I got the hammer and dowel again, and went all out. Damn, that battery was STUCK in there, but finally I saw the dowel getting lower and lower. When the batt reached bottom, a few more whacks while holding the tube in the air, and voila, it was out! YAYYYY!!!

Now I just have to get 'er all cleaned up, and she's ready to become an FM'09!

Thanks again to all who posted. You guys gave me the hope along with the advice, and Kostas gave the final, inspirational push that got me over the top. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I'll definitely be sharing beamshots and burning vids with this one. lovecpf

kosPap

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
And you won't believe, it was foolishness that made me remove the switch from the front in my first mod....
guess fools have hidden powers......

Good work! now we wait for pics of the finished light