Renamed: Tankless water heaters?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Removing a sweat fitting **Mission Complete**

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
As I have said earlier, I am building a house and am putting in some on-demand heaters. Deadline to moving in is drawing near, and I am having problem getting an envirotech heater in the right time frame (by like tuesday or so).

I need suggestions here. They will be 2 240v 40a units. Need to turn on at .5g/min or less flow. Digital temp reg desired. Need available ASAP. Will self install or have plumber do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might take a look at the SETS units. The flow activation is listed as .25 gal/min. I talked to a guy at work who has one for his cabin (small home) and he seems to like it.

I have no idea about availability. My guess is this is going to be a problem no matter who you pick.

I listed the flow activation for all the units I could find a few posts back.

Good luck. Let us know what you get and how it works for you.

Thanks,

-john

turbodog

Flashaholic

House completion continues. Trim carpenter put a nail through a water line today. Plumber gets extra work for himself.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Researched a lot of units. Eventually went with 2 chronomite units because they were the only people I could get to answer the phone. We have them in, and they are working.

Initial impression: not as nice as the envirotech, but a WHOLE lot cheaper and about 1/3 the size. Considering what I paid, we are very pleased with them. They are great for the sink. I still say that I would go with envirotech for a whole house heater. They are a "dumb" unit to a degree. No display or controls. Factory set at temp you specify. We got 1 @ 110 for the bath and 1 @ 120 for the kitchen.

Was told by tech they they will take heated incoming water, but the manual says no. They use flow restrictors also.

I will post back after we have used them for a while.

Being so close to point of use, they have hot water coming out of the spout after about 3 seconds.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I noticed you said they use flow restrictors. I don't know why, but I had not thought of this. Now that you say it, it makes sense. If you can't heat water fast enough, you want to limit how much water goes through. So, if you put two in series, I wonder if you can remove the flow restrictors, at least on the first unit, to combat the flow restriction problem?

Hmmm.

-john

Brock

Flashaholic

I know the flow restrictors in the ones I use was just the water out size, it was not 1/4 inch, but smaller then 1/2 inch, so only so much water could get out. The in side was a full 1/2 inch anyway.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I will say that the envirotech would be my ONLY choice for an electric whole house heater. They do not use flow restrictors, have digital controls, etc.

Taking the restrictors out... I don't know if I would take them out or just ream them a little. Some heaters cannot take heated incoming water. Basically, if you are gonna buy 2 cheap units for series, just get an envirotech. You'll spend the same $.