Replacement to Cree on SF P60-P61

bobthewelder

Newly Enlightened
I have two SF that use the p60-p61 heads and one 12v Cabela's that uses the same size bezel, but is rated at 12v. I can't afford the batteries as you all know these eat them and fast. I want to switch to something Cree that is blinding but doesn't eat the batteries as much. I keep one on my person with my ccw weapon, one bedside and one I use for general work on cars etc. I have a SF b65 and it dies in about 2 minutes with the p60 lamp in. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could also get rechargeable batteries with a LED drop-in, that way you won't have to constantly buy batteries.

What's your price range? There are budget drop-ins from ~$10 to high end triples for over $100. Also, what beam pattern, tint, runtime, modes would you like?

bobthewelder

Newly Enlightened
So long as rechargables have drastically improved since that Surefire b65 junk I have, that would be great. Since I have three lights, I would certainly want the one kept with my pistol (6v) to be blindingly bright spot light like, and maybe a strobe. The other 6v I would want more of a flood with long run time, or at least multiple settings so I could have a choice, I use it to work under and in vehicles so it doesn't have to blind anyone. The 12V I would also like it nasty bright with more of a focussed beam. I would of course like much better runtime than the 20 minutes or less I get from the incas that are standard with my lights.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the P61 was rated to 120 lumen (actual rating was probably more) for ~20 min. The Malkoff M61W (The W at the end means warm white, more incan like) does 200 lumen for 2 hours. It is single mode and costs $60, but it is well built and well recommended. The M91 takes up to 12v, and the warm white version give 500 lumen out the front and should run for ~1.5 hours.

To get more output, a larger emitter is needed, and that means a wider beam due to the larger emitter size. Malkoff also has lower output modules for long runtime.

A single 17670 Li-ion battery should fit the 6P from what I've read (I don't own any surefires). It's 3.7v (4.2v fully charged) so you'll have to make sure the drop-in accepts that voltage. It's around the size of 2 CR123 batteries and slightly wider. 2 of them in series can replace 4 CR123 batteries.

There are also other drop-ins, one of the brightest being the Torchlab triple with 1600 lumen stated, and it is available with different modes (does cost $165, and is currently sold out at Overready). Also check the Custom Buy/Sell/Trade forum for higher price really bright drop-ins.

There are also many cheaper drop-ins (under $30) made by various companies such as Thrunite, Solarfoce, and some don't seem to be linked to any company.

BarryG

Enlightened
head over to Malkoffdevices or Lighthound and look at their selection. Lots of options: output, tint voltage, etc...

Barry

Latest posts