Replacing my old Ultrafire WF-502B

flashlight-user

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

Long ago, I bought several Ultrafire WF-502B flashlights (5 mode). I use them for bicycle lights and they work great. Mostly I use them on low (200 lumens?), but for short bursts I use them on medium (500 lumens?). I use 18650 2500 mAh unprotected cells. Everything works fine, but I'm down to my last flashlight, and I need to buy some replacements.

I don't want to spend a lot. I can get WF-502B from ebay for $14.75 each off ebay (link here: *link removed)

I know these lights are very old and there may be much better lights available. Is there something better that has come out for about the same price?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many options! What type of mount are you using? Do you want a flashlight that is mounted to the bike or a dedicated bike light? Do you want to stick with a P60 host still?

I suppose my current budget choice would be, and is, the Convoy S2+ with a OP reflector and SST-20 LED running Simon's 12 mode Biscotti firmware. 8x7135 chips is really very bright but also builds a good amount of heat. Depending on your output needs I'd consider going with either 4x or 6x7135 chips.

But there are so many options these days. P60 is getting harder and harder to set up especially now that Solarforce is gone. I still enjoy the versatility and upgradability it offers but the aftermarket support is certainly no longer what it was 5 years ago. That said, you could easily put together your own, new, P60 module for your existing Ultrafire host using which ever LED you like and whichever driver suits you.

flashlight-user

Newly Enlightened
Hi Buck91:

Thank you so much for replying. I didn't think anyone would reply :)

>> So many options!
You are right - the choices are overwhelming me. Which is why I asked here.

Let me answer your questions:

>> What type of mount are you using? Do you want a flashlight that is mounted to the bike or a dedicated bike light?
I have the light mounted to the handlebars of my bike using a removable mount. Every night I remove the light and take it inside. The bike stays outside. I live near the beach and property crime is bad here.

>> Do you want to stick with a P60 host still?
No. To be honest, I didn't even know what a P60 host was, without a google search.

>> my current budget choice would be, and is, the Convoy S2+ with a OP reflector and SST-20 LED running Simon's 12 mode Biscotti firmware.
I have no idea what this means (yet). I'm going to go do some research and report back. I'm sure I'll have some more questions after I educate myself a bit.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you cant accept PM's yet so I'll have to post a direct link- mods please remove if not ok?

Best bet ofr a budget light that is nice and simple is a three step process.

1. Light- Convoy Link to AE store front. Go with the S2+ with biscotti driver. I like the SST-20 with orange peel reflector and if you send a message Simon will usually accommodate this.

2. Battery- You will need an 18650 battery (or two or three) to run the light. HIGHLY recommend protected. Many many options out there. Efest and Keeppower are two of the top names but there are many other good options. A little searching here will get you going.

3. Charger- You will want something good, but not over the top. IMHO the Nitecore D2 (or D4) is one of the best entry level chargers. Search for a best price.

I see you already have some cells, which are unprotected. Thats OK. I believe the biscotti does have LVP (low voltage protection) but I wouldnt rely on it. Recharge early and often if you don't upgrade your cells.