Review Klarus XT11GT

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I've had this light for a couple of weeks now. I was initially impressed, but now am very dissapointed. This has turned out to be one of my most unreliable lights I have owned. It turns off, seemingly at random.I need to take it apart by removing the battery, and 18650 tube and then put it back together then it mysteriously works again. After a little bit of use, it craps out again.I haven't dropped it or abused it. Any one else having this issue?

Have you tried cleaning the contact points? Might be a dirty contact issue.

Danielsan

Enlightened
I only have contact problems with the tailcap, it needs to be very tight. Maybe you should check that and also try to tighten the clicky from inside with a tweezer or something like that and check if its loose.
I've had this light for a couple of weeks now. I was initially impressed, but now am very dissapointed. This has turned out to be one of my most unreliable lights I have owned. It turns off, seemingly at random.I need to take it apart by removing the battery, and 18650 tube and then put it back together then it mysteriously works again. After a little bit of use, it craps out again.I haven't dropped it or abused it. Any one else having this issue?

Danielsan

Enlightened
I tested the XT11GT with 40k lux @1m (Klarus 18650), with the LG hg2 18650 it was 50k lux @1m.

Edit: This was not true, it turned out that my tailcap has a problem.

Last edited:

res1cue

Newly Enlightened
Just tried mine with 30qs and also LG HG2s and i saw no perceptible difference.

Danielsan

Enlightened
Just tried mine with 30qs and also LG HG2s and i saw no perceptible difference.
correct! They are actually the same. I discovered that my light or the tailcap must have a problem. I tested it later and i only got 27K Lux with the Klarus battery and 40K Lux with the LG HG2 and i couldnt believe it. I tested it five times and used different protected batteries as well but i always get 27K Lux and the LG HG2 was 40K with my new Luxmeter. I couldnt explain that behaviour until i removed the tactical ring from the light, then i measured 40K lux with the protected Klarus batteries as well with my new luxmeter. I never had such a problem before. I cleaned everything and tightened the internal ring of the tailcap but still the same.

Last edited:

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
correct! They are actually the same. I discovered that my light or the tailcap must have a problem. I tested it later and i only got 27K Lux with the Klarus battery and 40K Lux with the LG HG2 and i couldnt believe it. I tested it five times and used different protected batteries as well but i always get 27K Lux and the LG HG2 was 40K with my new Luxmeter. I couldnt explain that behaviour until i removed the tactical ring from the light, then i measured 40K lux with the protected Klarus batteries as well with my new luxmeter. I never had such a problem before. I cleaned everything and tightened the internal ring of the tailcap but still the same.
Would like to know how you gonna fix the issue or if your dealer will replace it. Hope mine won't have this issue when they arrive. (crossed fingers)

Danielsan

Enlightened
Would like to know how you gonna fix the issue or if your dealer will replace it. Hope mine won't have this issue when they arrive. (crossed fingers)
I guess never because i won the light in a give away. My sample had tailcap problems ever since. I think my tailcap has some issues, i realized it the first time i the forest at night for the beamshots, i thought the light was defective because it wont turn on until i realized that i had to tighten the tailcap really super strong. That was the first sign that something is not right with the light or tailcap. Now i discovered that the light only reach its full lux without the tactical ring installed or with shorter unprotected cells. I dont know why longer cells result in contact problems when the tactical ring is installed.
I wouldnt worry to much about it, i heard from other xt11gt owners that they dont have that problem.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
I believe my issue is with the tail cap as well. Whenever my light craps out, I have to remove tail cap and reinstall then it works again like magic. I have it tightened ultra tight now, has been good for a couple days now. The clicky was not loose on mine, I used a pair of snap ring pliers to tighten, but would not budge any more. Hopefully having the tailcap ultra tight, I will have no more issues. I'm glad this light has USB charging, because removing the tail cap is very hard when it's ultra tight.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Well looks like I spoke to soon. The light crapped out on me today again, this time for good. It won't turn back on no matter what I do. Oh, well, I really wanted to like this light as it was very impressive when it was working properly. I have not had very good luck with Chinese lights this year, I may have to call it quits for a while. Or maybe I'll get a dobermann with xhp35-hi, since my armyteks have been rock solid reliable thus far

res1cue

Newly Enlightened
Would really like to hear from somebody who has both versions and comment on the difference and post some comparison screenshots

Satansjester

Newly Enlightened
What's the deal with the build quality and reliability on this light?

Im just about to buy two, one for a mates birthday, he knows I'm a light geek and this will be his first proper led 18650 light, and I'm gonna look pretty stupid if I get him something that develops a fault within weeks.

if you've had an issue, or not, can just throw a quick reply in?

paojerokid

Newly Enlightened
Just got my klarus xt11gt. The newer version XHP35 HD E4 with the klarus 3100mah IMR battery included. To other xt11gt owners, does yours have this hiss sound? If yes, I guess it's normal.

I noticed that everytime I turn on at Turbo, I hear a very soft high frequency hissing sound for just around 2secs then it goes away. I only noticed it because I'm in a quiet room and I held it near my ear.
It only does that sound when newly turned on, if I turn it off then turn on again right away, there's no hissing sound. If I rest it for a couple of secs/min to cool down then there's that sound again.
I tried using another battery (olight), it doesn't make any hissing sound at all.
I tried the klarus IMR battery on my BLF A6, I dont hear any hissing sound.

And also can you please check if when you remove the tailcap after the hiss/hum sound, if the tailcap and some also in the body has a very slight hint of burnt smell.. it's not too much just a hint of burnt smell or possibly some other electrical reaction smell. Thank you.

*additional observation, I noticed that mine's beamshot tested against a white wall has a very small dark spot in the middle (doughnut hole as they call it in flashlight forum). Does yours have this?

e85a5a70b44ffef2da6400bca8209893.jpg
03efaaac94a10f3c2b71b32366d03174.jpg

Last edited:

petroe

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,

XT11GT XHP35 HD E4. Can anybody also confirm the mentioned "doughnut hole"? (if possible show some pictures)
I'm thinking about this flashlight... I almost ordered the previous version (HI D4), but Klarus recalled :) :(

best regards & Merry Xmas

Erno

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
There is a slight "whine" stepping down power on the torch mine does it too (it's not that loud). It's the inductor I believe seen it or rather heard it on other models not that often perhaps the high power regulation is part of it. Torch is pretty pokey for a single cell 18650

Mcgrimes

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a test of the light output?

Sounds like no ones getting the advertised 2000 lumens

FraterAL

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one of these, good end of year price it seemed and various youtube videos.... I knew I should have checked here first! Anyway, at least I got it from a vendor who "takes care of" problems, at least by rep. And I hope I have one that doesn't have a rattling led, a hissing sound, or a burning smell... I don't have the equipment to test OTF lumens but I'm ok if it's at 1700-ish (below the 2000 advertised).

rennie

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one of these, good end of year price it seemed and various youtube videos.... I knew I should have checked here first! Anyway, at least I got it from a vendor who "takes care of" problems, at least by rep. And I hope I have one that doesn't have a rattling led, a hissing sound, or a burning smell... I don't have the equipment to test OTF lumens but I'm ok if it's at 1700-ish (below the 2000 advertised).

Had mine for around a week now and its good. No probems to report on and Its bright -very bright!
The side button is the best I've ever used - you'll love it.

FraterAL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, rennie -- I love what I've seen video reviews.... I'm confident the vendor will sort out any problems. I'm excited to get the light!