Review: LRI Proton is ***HERE***NiMH Runtime Added...

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else have problems with the button? I can't activate the light with the pad of my thumb, I have to use the point or index finger. I practically have to crush the button to ramp the light up and down.

loalight

Enlightened
jdriller said:
Anyone else have problems with the button? I can't activate the light with the pad of my thumb, I have to use the point or index finger. I practically have to crush the button to ramp the light up and down.

classic signs of a button alignment problem. Mine is not like this.

send it back!

(still finding mine to be pretty swell..)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrueBlue said:
Which way should the tabs be mounted inside the light? I had three lights. The positive tab fell out in the first light. The positive tab shaped like a V is in the second one. A flat positive tab is in the third one.
mine has been FLAWLESS... and it is a V shape... it sort'a looks like the -contact...

BTW all.... my thread/tail cap issue was really anoying at first... but now its really easy to get the tailcap on... Don't know if they just had to break in (+contact/threads/-contact) or what... but its nice and easy now...

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
OK, thanks. What you said brings up another question. How did you remove the end-piece of the tailcap? I tried bare-handed unscrewing it, but without success.

The end piece of the tailcap should be glued and is not intended to be removed, although enough pressure and it will of course come loose. The rest of the parts which are not intended to be unscrewed are glued as well.

Last edited:

arab

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
OK, thanks. What you said brings up another question. How did you remove the end-piece of the tailcap? I tried bare-handed unscrewing it, but without success.
?Dunno? Mine unscrews normally although it is a bit tight. Mind you, the fact that I'm the only one to mention this "feature" might suggest it's not supposed to unscrew ...

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
jdriller said:

Not that I know of. I've been trying to keep track of the various issues that have come up and you're the only one so far to report a problem with the button. :) Go ahead and send an email to custservice at photonlight.com and we'll get you a pre-paid return label to send your light in and get it fixed. I apologize for any inconvenience.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
TrueBlue said:
Which way should the tabs be mounted inside the light? I had three lights. The positive tab fell out in the first light. The positive tab shaped like a V is in the second one. A flat positive tab is in the third one.

I don't believe the failures of the positive tab are connected to the position of the contact. Depending on how the contact is adjusted inside the light, you may be looking at either the flat side of the V or the point when you look down the barrel of the light. The contact should be adjusted so that the button on the positive end of the battery just makes contact with the battery contact, but that if the battery is inserted backwards, the contact should not protrude enough to make contact with the flat surface of the negative end of the battery. As long as this function is being served then you should be fine either way. If the light has survived removing the battery a few times, then my guess is that it should be just fine. Of course only time will tell, but so far all of the positive contact failures seem to have occured the first couple times the battery was removed.

arab

Enlightened
PhotonLight said:
The end piece of the tailcap should be glued and is not intended to be removed, although enough pressure and it will of course come loose. The rest of the parts which are not intended to be unscrewed are glued as well.
?Maybe
I should glue mine up then. As I said in an earlier post, with the clip removed, the end-piece unscrewed itself a little too easily.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
According to the Delivery Confirmation data, my busted Proton arrived at LRI on Saturday the 17th. I'll let you folks know when the fixed unit/replacement unit arrives back to me. I was hoping that Bryan would answer my question from earlier, as to whether LRI is fixing these unit's with the defective positive contact or just replacing the light.

For the moment, since there won't be any extra Protons available until the next shipment arrives (I'm still waiting on word of when that may be), LRI will simply be repairing the problems that are easily repairable. A small handful of lights were held back for replacement and these will be used to replace any lights with non-repairable issues (i.e. problems with tailcap threading, etc.)

Last edited:

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the apparent lack of regulation that some have observed when using alkaline cells in the Proton, here is David's response:

It is regulated and the Alkaline does not have enough power to continue the high power light output. We could have set the regulation for alkaline and had a flat output almost to the end but it would have been nowhere near as bright a light. No one can get something from nothing. Either you are an endurance runner or you are not, and alkaline is a runner for another race. This is why we advise to use Lithium or NiMH.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
My repaired light has arrived and fully functioning. I'll give credit to Photon Lights for quick service. :)

rider

Newly Enlightened
After looking over Doug's review of the Proton, it appears that we have yet another class of non-conforming lumens. The LRI lumens coming out of this supposed 50 lumen light are dimmer than Inova or even Fenix lumens. Doug- is your light broken? (muahaha)

Well, I'm off to pull out my 70 lumen X5 and spotlight a few deer...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review doug. :) I was waiting to purchase this light based on your review, but I think I am going to have to wait until LRI does some revisions. Mostly in making the tailcap threading longer/better and fixing the positive contact. The performance of the light is enough for me, but I want a light that is going to hold up.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i remember reading something about how you could use a lens... sure enough after reading through doug's review I unscrewed the head... and it all comes apart... it has the o-ring just waiitng... anyone have any ideas of what lens to use.... i'd assume some really thin glass/plastic would be the best... i have issues with putting it into a pocket with my change because once the LED's own lens is scratched your sorta screwed :)...

i also didn't know about the whole 50% run mode...

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
BROKEN....
reached into the pocket and the clip had completely sheared off and the very end of the tail cap was unscrewed...I don't even use the clip and haven't changed the battery yet!

dang.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the clip sheared off? what do you mean?

that sucks dude... hopefully Bryan can help ya out

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
The clip? I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean either. The clip itself is a pretty solid piece of metal so I'm having a hard time visualizing how it could simply "shear" off unless the tailcap somehow managed to disassemble itself in your pocket? Not that it matters, we'll get it taken care of for you regardless, but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what happened. Go ahead and send an email to custservice at photonlight.com and we'll get you a return label asap.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
ok...I found the clip....the whole assembly disassembled, and it is very hard to reconfigure....i didn't really need the clip anyway, but I may shoot you an email...G

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Mr. Blue said:
BROKEN....
reached into the pocket and the clip had completely sheared off and the very end of the tail cap was unscrewed...I don't even use the clip and haven't changed the battery yet!

dang.

I'm not sure what you're saying. How did/could the clip "shear-off" if only in your pocket. As regards to the tail cap, were you sure it was tight after your battery replacement or prior to pocketing it?