Review: LRI Proton is ***HERE***NiMH Runtime Added...

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
eeek... hope thats not why its on ebay... either way LRI will take care of your light

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope not too. The seller has 100% feedback so I'm not worried if I have to send it back or anything. We'll see. It shipped today.

MikeF

Enlightened
Any word on the second shipment?

I gave the two Protons I pre-ordered in April to my Dad and my Father-in-Law for Father's Day since I received them before Father's Day. Before wrapping them and bidding them a fond adieu, I checked them for operation, and to verify that the positive contacts were OK, but since the 18th I have been Proton-less!
:popcorn:

Cmoore

Enlightened
I received my replacement Proton from LRI today. It only took a week for the light to make the round trip from coast to coast via USPS. As have others, I received a nice personal note from LRI apologizing for my inconvenience – a nice touch that's good business.

Last edited:

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told that my replacement shipped last Monday and I still don't have it. My emails have gone unanswered.
Photonlight.com:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
ChocolateLab33 said:
I was told that my replacement shipped last Monday and I still don't have it. My emails have gone unanswered.
Photonlight.com:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

If you'll send me a PM with your name or email address I can look into it for you.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
MikeF said:
Any word on the second shipment?

Nothing yet. Apparently LRI has decided to go ahead with a couple changes which have delayed things a bit more. The metal tab for the positive contact does work just fine when done correctly and from what I've seen the failures seem to happen fairly immediately if they are going to happen at all, but it is obviously a potential weak point.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonLight said:
Nothing yet. Apparently LRI has decided to go ahead with a couple changes which have delayed things a bit more. The metal tab for the positive contact does work just fine when done correctly and from what I've seen the failures seem to happen fairly immediately if they are going to happen at all, but it is obviously a potential weak point.
bryan are you saying LRI is changing the + Contact or are you just repeating the fact that the current +contact is fine if installed the correct way?

arab

Enlightened
If it ain't busted...

I'd say if the light develops a fault, return it to LRI. I've used their warranty services in the past and can say they stand over what they make.

If we are talking about product upgrades, these are completely normal with most products - be they Renaults or toasters - and early adopters generally don't benefit (exception being intangible goods such as software, etc). This is just the way the world works. Perfection is rarely attained at the start, people buy early batches for their own reasons. For me, I bought the Proton because a small variable output AA torch is something I have wanted for many years (and I completely gave up waiting for Mr Gransee:huh: ) - and I wanted it asap. I also enjoyed the discount and didn't care about the lack of packaging. I knew that early batches would be more prone to issues than later, but, as per above, LRI's warranty and historically excellent customer care negated that as an issue for me.

Be happy :)

Last edited:

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
bryan are you saying LRI is changing the + Contact or are you just repeating the fact that the current +contact is fine if installed the correct way?

Yes, the positive contact is being changed. Those that already have a Proton are not likely to be upgraded unless the positive contact continues to fail, which does not seem to be the case. So far, all of the failures seem to happen fairly immediately in the first couple of battery changes if it is going to happen at all. I have not yet heard of any of the repaired lights failing, or of any lights failing after making it through the first few battery changes without incident.

The change to the positive contact is the most significant change. As for any other changes, I believe LRI is also looking at what can be done to improve the tailcap threads.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my replacement Proton today from LRI and I also received my Proton from Ebay. I took the batteries out first thing to check and see if the positive contact would fall out and so far, so good. I hope they don't break. I really like this light, it's great to carry to work.:)
:popcorn:

aceo07

Enlightened
Perfectionist said:
Any chance LRI could improve the brightness too - so it actually puts out the hyped 50-60 lumens !!

:)

The most out of a 1xAA flashlight is probably 30 lumens, at least from what I've seen from flashlightreviews.com

The JET-I can get to 60 lumens with 2xAA!

belyo

Newly Enlightened
What changed the improved positive contact? Material? Design?

PhotonLight said:
Yes, the positive contact is being changed. Those that already have a Proton are not likely to be upgraded unless the positive contact continues to fail, which does not seem to be the case. So far, all of the failures seem to happen fairly immediately in the first couple of battery changes if it is going to happen at all. I have not yet heard of any of the repaired lights failing, or of any lights failing after making it through the first few battery changes without incident.

The change to the positive contact is the most significant change. As for any other changes, I believe LRI is also looking at what can be done to improve the tailcap threads.

Last edited:

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Proton back today. Switch is as it should be. I don't have to crush the light to make it work. Thanks Bryan and LRI.

Wong

Newly Enlightened
Photonlight ,

may I know when will the second shipment arrives and shipped ?

I just hope Photon solved all the problem and send out the defectless "proton" bcos is troublesome and take alot of time for Oversea buyer to return the light for rapair :)

Cheers
Wong