Review of ElektroLumens Blaster 1R

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know we're not supposed compare them, but the runtime of the EL Blaster 1R is a good point--it runs for at least 8 hours, depending one the model you have (1 watt or 3 watt). Plus, the Blaster is one HELL of a thrower...

The Blaster 1R has a great form factor in wintertime where gloves are needed.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point.

I only use AA and D batteries. The former for the everhywhere-light, and latter when you need serious lumens for extensive time.

You need them both, different purpose and classes. They are both kickass units.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds kind of defensive.

Anyway, I don't think there is a need to compare a 1R to a 4D MagLED, or even a 2D, a lot of that information is already over at flashlightreview. There's not much point in re-inventing the wheel. And as you said, it's a product that has been discontinued and on clearance for some time now.

etc said:
Very funny. I never drew any conclusions from this comparison, if you notice, and didn't endorse anything. The review was of the Blaster, I included a well known MagLite for size comparison purposes.

In fact, if anything, the Mini Maglite wins it, IMO due to being much lighter and more portable, much closer to the everywhere-light.. Price is, or was the same. anyway the Blaster series are not available, you cannot get one, so it's a moot point?

( You can however get better, brighter lights at ElektroLumens, but they won't have the run time of the Blaster, I suspect )

But I will do a comparison of Maglite 4D LED vs. Blaster (Sorry but that's all I have) once I install that upgrade module.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blaster-1R replaced my 2 D Mag 3 years ago and its still one of my favorites
even bought another which was modded using two stacked Micropuck boost drivers
and a TX1J star, this one gives out alot more light than the stock 1 watt version

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Some don't care for the optic and would prefer a reflector. But the Blaster 1R is a great value and easy to mod. I put a Madmax board in one of mine, driving a Lux I SX0H star. In the second one I have a Lux V WX0S star, driven with a Fatman (700ma setting) and a 186500 li-ion cell. It's undriven a little bit, but still plenty bright.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I just realized that it didn't have a mirror reflector in it. Weird.

I will post the defects as I see them, to be fair ---

1) The light is too heavy, you don't want to carry it in the field, backpacking. I would probably take my Princeton Tec Yukon headlight or maybe M-MagLite LED. It's more practical to keep around the house, or in the car (although in the car, I am not sure I want a spot light)
I think more metal could be trimmed of, it doesn't need to be heavy duty enough to be run over by an 18-wheeler. MagLite, has a more practical shell, overall, even if less sturdy.
But I like it just the way it is. It's so heavy duty, I will probably pass it on to the posterity, as it's the best light I got.

2) The switch is too sensitive. If will "blink" if you touch is just very slightly even, putting it out of the bag.

Really not a big deal.

It is a custom made light essentially, Elektrolumens makes great lights deserving of attention, even if pretty weird stuff sometimes (As in 200+ Lumens lights) geared towards some pretty hard core Flasho-holics.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
etc, you don't have to defend the Blaster 1R, or counter by pointing out the negative things. This light is a great light, even when it was selling at a higher price. With a lux I star, or emiter it runs forever. I had one of the original 1R's with a lux 1 star, and I messed up the driver when I changed out an led. Using an S bin lux I is a great idea, particularly with a BB400, nexgen BB400, particularly if using nimh batteries. I should try that out.

Bill

Latest posts