REVIEW: The New 4Sevens Quark X Series>>>>>>>

Chidwack

Enlightened
I have only had my Quark AA2 Tactical for a few weeks and now the new version is out. I would bet that I would like my older version better than the new X version. The little light gives off great brightness and throw as it is and I really don't want to give up 20% of my battery burn time for a little side spill. It got put into perspective for my when I compared the Quark with it's 205 lumens to my new Xeno with 490 lumens using a 14500 battery. While the Xeno lights up the room and gives of lots more ceiling bounce, outside at 15 yards or more doesn't make a whole lot of difference in my eyes. Then when I want to light up something out to about 60 yards or so, the little Quark blows the Xeno away.

tony22

Newly Enlightened
Interesting Chidwack. I guess I was surprised by some of these reviews here at how much brighter the XM-L is compared to the S2 version (I have the R5). It seems not only to have more side spill but (at least out to the short distances shown) a noticeably brighter total area. I have to admit seeing that kind of frustrated me a little. But like you I think I'm leaning toward preferring the longer run time. Even in moonlight mode (according to the 4sevens website) the X version doesn't last as long as the R5. (I know that comparison is a little ridiculous considering how long they do run in moonlight mode, but still.)

ico

Enlightened
Are the bodies of the Regular AA² and X AA² the same or the new X's have longer bodies and bezel diameter?
Which has more throw?

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
Are the bodies of the Regular AA² and X AA² the same or the new X's have longer bodies and bezel diameter?
Which has more throw?

I've never tested the previous versions of the Quark, but from what I understand, the dimensions are unchanged.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my 2xAA Tactical, I consider myself lucky if I happen to blink during the pre-flash. If I don't, it's a blast of harsh full-brightness light to my night-adjusted eyes that usually leaves me seeing spots for a minute or two. :(

the solution i do on my QAA2 Tac is that i cover the led for a few sec when turning it on so the pre-flash wont destroy my night adjusted eyes.

I believe the newer Quarks (starting with the 123 X turbo) no longer have pre-flash.

anethema

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what you mean by lower runtimes.

From what I posted in another thread:

Max is much brighter, same runtime.

High is essentially same runtime, and double the brightness.

Medium is where we start to get that, but its 3x as bright, for around 50% runtime.

And low is a bit less efficient, but basically similar brightness for same runtime.

Every mode from medium up is much more efficient, no ?

Quark line:

123^2 XP-G
Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 30 days, (1ma)
Low: 4 lumens for 5 days (10ma)
Medium: 22 lumens for 20 hours (50ma)
High: 85 lumens for 4.5 hours (250ma)
Max: 230 lumens for 1.8 hours (990ma)

XML:

Moonlight: 0.3 lumens for 25 days
Low: 3 lumens for 5 days
Medium: 65 lumens for 11 hours
High: 160 lumens for 4 hours
Max: 360 lumens for 1.7 hours

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
Rolex John,
Thanks for the Review.
I am not sure I understand why you didn't like the Tactical UI. Like do you mean for use with a handgun, specifically holding the flashlight in the weak-hand crossing under your strong-hand holding the pistol?

Exactly - the Harries method.

These lights are really light weight and I would consider mounting one on a tactical QCB rifle using a 25mm scope ring attached to the picatinny rail. For that I also think the monetary on function of the tactical UI would be useless since you would have to keep constant pressure on the switch using your support hand (It would be cool if 4Sevens made a momentary-on pressure pad for the Quarks but probably not cuz it would detract from the maelstorm G5/X7 offerings for use with the more common 1in weapon mounts). For such a use I would just click it on to do the raid/building search and the turn it off when I didn't need it. I could, however, see the momentary-on function working well for nighttime navigation but then you are too limited with the TUI because you are only allowed two modes. I think the Regular UI is preferable for such a use because it has quick access to Max and Strobe for the raid and/or building clearing, and easy access to moonlight and low modes for assisting nighttime navigation.

I've got a Vertical Forward Grip (VFG) on my AR-15 which has a flashlight mount built in. It's designed for 1" diameter flashlights - the nice feature it has is a button which allows you to depress the instant on tail switch on the flashlight.

I'm currently using a Fenix TK12 in this set up.

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
That I don't think I have ever seen... Sounds cool. Who makes it? I never have really liked the idea of taping or ziptieing a pressure pad to a vertical fore grip in order to use momentary-on.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Hooray for 4Sevens! I have bought a lot of their lights in the past 18 months. I just ordered a 123*2 X Tactical and a AA*2 X Tactical. I love the 'Tactical' UI, and am looking forward to the new emitters......

mmace1

Enlightened
How many lumens is this pre-flash? Is it a serious issue (i.e. a "normal" person would dislike it) or more of the white-wall-hunting-defect variety? (Ewwww I see a ring!) and etc.

BWX

Enlightened
I have a Quark AA R5 and a Quark AA S2, I also have a 2AA body.. I wonder what would happen if I got this light (AA2 X) and then put my 1AA body on it? Would it be too much current for on AA eneloop?

I run AA and AAA lights exclusively and was seriously considering the AA2 X, but just made the jump to an 18650 powered light and got the very affordable Olight i6 Paladin from GoingGear.com instead- ordered it a few hrs ago. I think I'll be happier w/ the output.

I still might pick up the AA2 X though, I love my AA(2) S2.. Seems the XM-L will be even better for a 2AA light. I have my LD20 premium R4 if I want a 2AA light with awesome brightness and crazy runtimes. Extra AA batteries are easy to carry anyway.

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
How many lumens is this pre-flash? Is it a serious issue (i.e. a "normal" person would dislike it) or more of the white-wall-hunting-defect variety? (Ewwww I see a ring!) and etc.

I don't think it's a deal breaker personally - not that big of an issue.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Not sure what you mean by lower runtimes.

From what I posted in another thread:

Max is much brighter, same runtime.

High is essentially same runtime, and double the brightness.

Medium is where we start to get that, but its 3x as bright, for around 50% runtime.

And low is a bit less efficient, but basically similar brightness for same runtime.

Every mode from medium up is much more efficient, no ?

Quark line:

123^2 XP-G
Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 30 days, (1ma)
Low: 4 lumens for 5 days (10ma)
Medium: 22 lumens for 20 hours (50ma)
High: 85 lumens for 4.5 hours (250ma)
Max: 230 lumens for 1.8 hours (990ma)

XML:

Moonlight: 0.3 lumens for 25 days
Low: 3 lumens for 5 days
Medium: 65 lumens for 11 hours
High: 160 lumens for 4 hours
Max: 360 lumens for 1.7 hours

I agree, I don't see the Quark X line as being less efficient. The driver board is drawing about the same current on all levels except maximum, so the runtimes should be similar. The only difference is on moonlight, where the larger die results in less efficiency at low, low drive currents.

recDNA

Flashaholic
A word on pre-flash, the severity of it depends on the model. In my experience, pre-flash on the regular Quark was literally "blink and you'll miss it". It's hard to see even when you're looking for it, basically making it a non-issue. I understand it's worse on the tactical models where you can get a brief full-bright blast before it settles into whatever mode you've selected. In both cases, you generally only get a pre-flash if you turn the light on again within a few minutes of turning it off. If it has been off for a while then there's no pre-flash.

In my experience you will virtually always get a very bright preflash in the tactical model no matter how long it is turned off if the last mode used was turbo and it happens unpredictably if you use any other mode last. There is nothing you can do to prevent it happening occasionally. If your eye are dark accommodated it is blinding. There is no acceptable excuse for the problem imo.

scot

Newly Enlightened
I've bought three of these Quark 123 X's for gifts and not a single one has the preflash that my older Quarks have. It's non existent.

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know why the Quark "X" series doesn't include a single AA and single 123 model? I have a number of tactical Quark XPG neutral models and love playing lego with them. I was thinking of picking up one of the 2xAA "X" Quarks and using it with some of my single AA and 123 bodies as well as maybe my single 18650 body. Is there a problem with this setup?

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
I've bought three of these Quark 123 X's for gifts and not a single one has the preflash that my older Quarks have. It's non existent.

Perhaps this was an issue for the pre-production models we reviewers were sent which was corrected?

Latest posts