Review: Zanflare F2

jimahi

Newly Enlightened
I received this Zanflare F2 flashlight from Gearbest for review. Zanflare has this light priced very competitively, so read on to see if you think it is a good deal...

I won't go into the usual stuff you can find by looking at the Zanflare product page.

Introduction

The flashlight comes in an above average quality box and includes a clip, lanyard, and 2 spare o-rings.
XKTYIYx.jpg

htycS81l.jpg

The fit and finish of the light is excellent. The anodizing on my sample was perfect. There are flat areas around the head that prevent it from rolling.
b6jovtYl.jpg

The clip is very strong and snaps securely on the light. You will likely scratch the anodizing trying to get it back off.
PIQXVANl.jpg

The light uses an Cree emitter and comes in two tints: a 6500-7000K and a more neutral 4500-5000K. The one that they sent me is the 4500-5000K version and I must say I really like it - it is a nice neutral tint. The Zanflare F2 uses a fairly deep OP reflector.
qwMXcGDl.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the LED.
6vQhhqLl.jpg

The tail switch has a nice feel and a sturdy solid click. The light cannot tail stand because the rubber tail switch boot sticks slightly out beyond the edges of the tailcap.
LR203k8l.jpg

The tube is glued to the head and I didn't try and take it apart. Here is a picture looking down the tube.
Y32fnxYl.jpg

The tailcap came clean and with some lube, but I added some Nyogel.
qTiXGJUl.jpg

Operation

Clicking the tail switch will cycle through the modes: Low -> Medium -> High -> Strobe -> Low -> etc
Some folks won't like that strobe is in the cycle. The light does have memory. And strobe is also memorized! I'm not sure why they designed it this way and didn't hide the strobe (after two cycles as many other lights do). I personally don't have much need for strobe, and it surely gets in the way of operating this light.

There is a little battery indicator on the head.
According to the manual, it works like this:
If the battery is above 30%, the indicator illuminates blue for about 5 seconds.
If the battery is below 30%, the indicator illuminates red for about 5 seconds.
If the battery is below 10%, the indicator flashes red.
I did note when the red light turns on during the runtime test. As the batteries get low, the indicator flashes red once every 5 seconds. When the batteries are almost depleted, the light drops into a very dim mode and the indicator flashes red about once a second. The dim mode is good - this light won't just shut off without warning and leave you completely in the dark. The battery indicator seems to be fairly accurate and is a nice feature.

After turning the light on, the battery indicator shows blue for about 5 seconds if the batteries are OK.
fiOGlAFl.jpg

Once the batteries get low, the battery indicator flashes red.
I0RMigVl.jpg

One thing to note. The battery indicator is positioned at an unmarked location on the head. You wont see it if it happens to be on the side opposite side when you are holding the light. You have to look for it and remember where it is. On my sample, the battery indicator position happens to be slightly offset from the centerline of the "Hot" and "Zanflare" printing. I'm not sure if all samples will line up this way as they are manufactured and screwed (and glued) together.
u6KA2ifl.jpg

Here is a shot of the operation manual for reference.
yOupzX4l.jpg

Runtime Test

I was a little concerned when I looked at the manual and saw the runtime on high was only 0.63 hour! That must be for alkalines (but I didn't test those yet).
Using standard NiMH Eneloops, I tested the current draw and measured the following at the tailcap:
Low: 65 mA
Med: 188 mA
High: 1040 mA

The light is well regulated and runs for about 100 minutes on high before dropping into the very low output mode. I didn't test how long it runs after dropping. As an afterthought, I put the depleted batteries back in and turned it on - it dropped back into very low mode and it continued to run for at least 15 more minutes until I turned it off. Again, Zanflare did a good job designing the driver so it doesn't leave you in the dark without any warning. Since the emitter is not being driven like crazy, the light only gets slightly warm. During the entire test in a 25°C ambient temp room, it reached a maximum of 38°C.

n0OYtdDl.jpg

Output

I don't have an accurate way to measure output, so I'll give my relative observations here. There is no moonlight mode. The low mode appears brighter than the specified 15 lumens. The medium mode is about twice as bright as the low mode. On high, it looks like it is putting out more than 200 lumens. I could not detect any PWM on any mode.

Here is a beamshot comparing it to the Astrolux S2.
Left: Astrolux S2 (3B tint) set on level 3 of 5-Level Group (supposed to be around 293 lumens)
Right: Zanflare F2 on high
The output of the Zanflare is higher with a larger hotspot and brighter spill. It looks to me that the Zanflare F2 on high is a bit brighter than the specified 200 lumens.
P7VJoFBl.jpg

The deep reflector gives the F2 a decent throw with a usable amount of spill.
Top: Zanflare F2 on high
Bottom: Astrolux S2 (3B tint) set on level 3 of 5-Level Group
The hotspot of the Zanflare F2 is larger and brighter - pretty good throw for the small diameter head. The door in the photo is about 25 feet away. The tint on the Zanflare F2 4500-5000K is very nice!
gLQvcPwl.jpg

Conclusion

Pros:
+ Excellent quality, fit and finish
+ Nice beam with good throw with usable spill
+ Neutral tint (on 4500-5000K version)
+ Battery indicator
+ No PWM
+ Flat regulated output
+ Does not get hot on high

Cons:
- The only con I find is that Zanflare has made strobe part of the mode sequence. If you don't like running into strobe mode, then you probably won't like this light. If that doesn't bother you, then this is an excellent 2xAA light at a very good price point.

Last edited:

Latest posts