Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMSHOTS

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMS

your description of the jetbeam sounds like my dx xv i just got. is the XV supposed to have memory mode? at first i couldnt figure out why the modes were starting out of sequence until i realized it was saving my last setting.
and i have similar problems about it skipping modes sometimes maybe do to bad contact.
is it possible the XV uses the same circuitry of the jetbeam?

also what accessories did you get with your XV? it seems i got the dex X1 accessories as there is 3 different color tail rubber caps with a lanyard.

is the battery rattle a normal characteristic? i can imagine when it's off there is no tension on the battery so it rattles. not sure if there supposed to be something missing inside to prevent the rattle.
EDIT: well, it's supposed to come with a foam o-ring according to one of the reviews to fix the battery rattle issue. but DX claims it only comes with a holster. pretty crappy customer service if you ask me..

because there is no spring in the flashlight, the cone shaped bottom on the negative part puts dents on the negative part of the battery. pro would be that it would have more direct current connection without a spring. con is that it denting any battery i'm using in it. the fenix l0d twist design is better IMO. another con is that since the contact is so tempermental, it's hard to switch between settings. you dont get a firm stop between on and off. you could keep twisting and dent the battery even more if you wanted to.
so if you like to switch settings alot this flashlight is horrible. if you like to set it on one mode and leave it, it's adequate.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMS

is the battery rattle a normal characteristic? i can imagine when it's off there is no tension on the battery so it rattles. not sure if there supposed to be something missing inside to prevent the rattle.
EDIT: well, it's supposed to come with a foam o-ring according to one of the reviews to fix the battery rattle issue. but DX claims it only comes with a holster.
Some others have reported not receiving the foam cushion as well. But you can easily pick up a substitute: Dr Sholl's corn pads are a perfect fit. ;)

because there is no spring in the flashlight, the cone shaped bottom on the negative part puts dents on the negative part of the battery. pro would be that it would have more direct current connection without a spring. con is that it denting any battery i'm using in it. the fenix l0d twist design is better IMO. ... so if you like to switch settings alot this flashlight is horrible. if you like to set it on one mode and leave it, it's adequate.
This is a bigger issue, and has also affected a number of lights. Mine have all been fine, but it seems sharp burrs have been left on the contact base of a number of people's lights during the machining. You'll need to find a way to smooth these down (e.g. a dremel should work, with a long enough attachment), or else you disk damaging your batteries with extended use.

FYI, I've been EDCing my v1.2 C-LE for the last 2 weeks (while in the process of moving, so multiple uses a day). I have been quite happy with it - only "forgot" its last mode twice during that time, otherwise was quite reliable and dependable.

Now that I'm back from holidays, I'll get started on that review of the single stage lights I promised (run tests are all done, just have to pull the data together). Also received a whole bunch of new multi-stage lights in the mail while I was otherwise occupied these last 2 weeks, so I have a lot more testing to do. :grin2:

Stay tuned ...

gunga

Flashaholic

Good stuff as always selfbuilt. I lokk fprward to an update with
the Rex 2.1.

I have a Rex 2.0 on the way. Considering if it is worth it to upgrade to 2.1...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I have a Rex 2.0 on the way. Considering if it is worth it to upgrade to 2.1...
I'll let you know tomorrow - last of the runtimes are underway. I'll probably post a separate review of 2.0 vs 2.1, just to cover all the bases clearly. So far, I'm pretty impressed with the runtime improvements (and memory mode actually work on NiMH).

EDIT: Looks like it will be another day or so before I can get the results up - the Rex 2.1 on low has been going strong for almost 48 hours now! Sheesh, this thing is really tying up my light box ;)

Last edited:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great, I am really looking forward to see how the 2.1 fits into this with beam shots and such. Thanks for the work so far. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Here's my detailed review of the Rex 2.1 vs 2.0:
Rexlight REX 2.1 vs 2.0: RUNTIMES, THROW, OUTPUT, etc.

I must say, I'll be purchasing the upgrade module for my 2.0, once they become available. It's a very sweet light with the new circuit. :party:

I'll update the first post here in a few days to include the data, once I get through testing my Luma 301 and MTE 5-stage Cree so I can everything at once.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

selfbuilt, great test.

My problem is I'm not smart enough to understand most of it but I came across the Dealextreme light and from there i found a link to this test.

I was intrigued by their 16 modes and was considering buying this as a survival light and therefore, i'm interested in a LONG runtime.

Bottom line is, I'd rather have something that will last me a looooong time, just in case and I'm also interested in the SOS mode.

Would it be a good choice for this and if so, what battery should I use for a long time. Did you by any chance test the SOS mode to see how long it'll last?

I don't understand how a 750mAh battery can do as well as a 2600mAh?

by the way, how much are the others compared to the dealextreme at around 45 bucks?

Thanks

George

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Bottom line is, I'd rather have something that will last me a looooong time, just in case and I'm also interested in the SOS mode.
I haven't done runtimes in SOS mode, but I would say the new Rex 2.1 is a MUCH better choice for a survival light. I'll be updating this multi-AA review soon, but in meantime see my review of it here: Rexlight REX 2.1 vs 2.0: RUNTIMES, THROW, OUTPUT, etc.

On 14500 on Low, it lasts for about 3X as long as the DX X.1 for the same output (i.e. 18 hours vs. 6 hours for the X.1). On Alkaline on Low, it similarly lasts for almost 3X as long, but with only half the output (i.e. 49 hours vs 18 hours for the X.1).

I don't understand how a 750mAh battery can do as well as a 2600mAh?
It has to do with the chemistry of Li ion and how the light's circuitry is designed. The 14500 runs at 3.7V (~4.2V right off the charger), vs. 1.2-1.5V of NiMH/alkaline. Simply put, this allows it to run brighter, but for a shorter period of time, assuming the light can handle the 14500.

by the way, how much are the others compared to the dealextreme at around 45 bucks?
The Rex 2.1 is $40 at Kai's (e-mail him directly, since not on the site yet), or $40+shipping from lighthound.com

Update: My new review of all the updated multi-stage lights is now up - I decided to create a whole new thread and leave this one intact for holders of the older lights. You can continue the discussion of the new lights here:
Rex 2.1, Luma 301, DX X.1, C-LE v1.2, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNTIMES
:wave:

Last edited: