ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure somewhere in this thread someone commented that it would be great if manufacturers would put some sort of a warning about batteries on the packaging.

Well tonight I was wandering around The Source by Circuit City and bought a Nexxtech 2xCR123 K2 LED light (relabelled Nuwai ALX-33K22L) on sale.
The light came with 2 MIJ Duracell CR123 cells.

While recalling this thread, I picked up the package and flipped it over.

On the back of the package was the following:

BATTERY WARNING: Only CR123A lithium batteries are recommended.
Use of other batteries or mixing of used and new or different brand batteries
may result in fire, leakage, explosion, or serious personal injury.
Keep away from children.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
manufacturers' warnings

I agree B.R. I had no idea until I came here. May be simple precautions like using Z.T.S. tester, being careful not to mix old and new etc. may not have been so simple and obvious to some of us. I don't have that tester and while testing every battery is not THAT huge of an inconvenience, it would have been nice to have known that's a recommended precaution. If I'd have known I needed to buy testers for batteries these flashlights take I'd not have as many 2x123's lights.

But I'll look at it as a positive for one cell 123's instead, just wish I'd have made it more of those and less 2x123's. Ruining a light is one thing, but going through what the O.P. went through is another level.

At least all my lights are S.F.'s and I'll be sticking with S.F. batteries direct from S.F. in the future. So unless someone links horror stories with that combination I'll just file this in the back of my mind for now.

:sssh:

igabo

Enlightened
Re: manufacturers' warnings

My goodness, I have been lurking with my own ROP, and now I see this.. quite scary.

happened a while back, hope you're well now.

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
WoW! what an experience! seems like almost holding a live grenade!

i will be more careful with my 123s

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
Boy am I glad that I came accross this thread.

I have an Inova X5 (2xCR123) that I use exclusively for primary batteries that have drained beyond use in my single cell lights. The X5 has been providing hours and hours of dim floody runtime from batteries that would otherwise have just been thrown out (recycled of course).

I have mixed brands and voltage levels (I don't have a meter, but some cells were more dead than others when relegated to vampire duty) without the foggiest notions of just how dangerous this can be.

The whole reason I use primaries is to avoid the potential disasters of LiIon rechargeables, but all this time it appears that I have subjected my home and family to this type of danger without being aware of it.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I wonder if this thread should be moved to the battery smoke and fire section, or a link placed there so people see an "oldie but goodie" thread on the safety subject.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No reason to be scared. Just need to keep a few basic rules in mind that have already been highlighted in this topic.

nasc

Newly Enlightened
Man, I'm sure glad I joined this site. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Glen

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shao responding to ancient thread alert:

Does anyone know if there's a field (ie-extremely portable) voltage checker for Li-Ion batteries? I always hit mine with the multimeter before loading them in any light, but this thread got me thinking - what if you're out in the field doing whatever it is your doing, you need to change CR123s in your light in a jiffy, you grab one that's self discharged a bit somehow while banging around in your gear, and your light blows up on you? It's not practical to carry a multimeter on you if you're a soldier or LEO, but a device barely larger than a C123 would be easy to pack. If no one makes a tiny CR123 or universal Li-Ion voltage checker, I would say that someone needs to get on it... It shouldn't be too difficult, I'm sure they'd sell well, and it would prevent a lot of occurrences like this. Heck, maybe I should start prototyping one.... oh yeah, and if someone out there beats me to it, you owe me to review for the idea. ;D

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Shao.fu.tzer,

In critical field use, the cost of batteries is a non issue. If there is any doubt, replace the batteries. Rather than having the mind set that you are going to completely use up a set of batteries, you change that to frequently replacing them so you are always prepared if longer run times are needed.

When you get back home you can figure out what to do with all your partially discharged batteries.

Tom

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Shao.fu.tzer,

In critical field use, the cost of batteries is a non issue. If there is any doubt, replace the batteries. Rather than having the mind set that you are going to completely use up a set of batteries, you change that to frequently replacing them so you are always prepared if longer run times are needed.

When you get back home you can figure out what to do with all your partially discharged batteries.

Tom

I'm talking about preventing batteries from exploding in your light by checking their voltage initially before changing them out. That way you don't stick a 3.3V in with a 1.7V and BOOM!
I've purchased packs of Surefire primaries whose voltages were all over the place. I match them in pairs that the are closest in voltage to prevent just that...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Shao.fu.tzer,

If you have new "in the pack" Surefire CR123 cells that measure 1.7 volts you have problems...

Tom

Napalm

Enlightened
Anyhow, I depleted a cell to 60%, and put it in the front, with a new fresh cell in the back. Just like I've done many times before.

This is the same test I've tried many times on various brand cells over the past month, and this is the first time I've seen a cell vent. One of the interesting things to note, it was the 100% new cell, not the depleted one that vented- not what I expected.

Interesting. Could it be that the plastic shirt covering the body of the head end cell was somehow defective, so the body made contact with the flashlight aluminum tube, effectively short circuiting the tail end cell?

Nap.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Shao.fu.tzer,

If you have new "in the pack" Surefire CR123 cells that measure 1.7 volts you have problems...

Tom

No, but they've varied .2V or so between cells... enough to cause me concern... I've had all kind of primaries go bad on me after just a few years.... All kept in a temperature controlled environment. That's why I always check my cells before putting them in a multi-cell light with a multimeter to make sure I'm not sticking a "sucker and blower" in there...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No, but they've varied .2V or so between cells... enough to cause me concern... I've had all kind of primaries go bad on me after just a few years.... All kept in a temperature controlled environment. That's why I always check my cells before putting them in a multi-cell light with a multimeter to make sure I'm not sticking a "sucker and blower" in there...

Another factor complicating the situation . . . Counterfeit CR123 cells do exist. Cheap versions branded to look like the good stuff. Always buy from a trusted dealer, store, or site.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another factor is old crap cells. If my rechargables run out I will throw surefire cells in immediately, but this isn't based on experience, only based on what I have read on CPF. I believie the quality control date stamps on my surefire cells. If someone out there doesn't please set me straight so I can get a refund.