Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 seconds

• > 4 seconds

• Total voters

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think it would be nice to have differing colors of brake lights for stopped, normal breaking and emergency braking so people that get somewhat *hypnotized* by the red lights of the cars in front at night will notice the difference in color. As for the LED vs incan brake lights if you are following close enough for that to be a *safe* issue then you are following way too close. I think the idea of a following distance indicator in a car would be the best idea so those tailgating would have to back off or put up with the annoyance of one. Perhaps even a rear indicator on autos telling them they are tailgating too close would be nice also.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely agree, Lynx_Arc, that brake lights should use a unique color. At least some cars provide separate positioned lenses for their brake lights. Many still make a single, dual-filament bulb and a single lens serve for both the tail light and the brake light.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Here in Arizona, everyone seems to think a safe distance is one millimeter for every 10 mph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading the responses in this thread, I find it ludicrous that nobody else is outraged by the preponderance of road hogs, idiots, and self appointed speed limit vigilantees traveling the left hand lane of the nations highways, or maybe just the SF Bay area Highways.

Very few people realize that you can be given a ticket for going the speed limit in the left hand lane for impeding the flow of traffic. The left hand lane is a passing lane, and intended for that purpose only. If I'm not passing someone, I'm not in the left hand lane. I don't care if its 2 lanes going my direction or 8 lanes.

My rule of thumb is if I want to travel faster than the guy in front of me (applies to left hand lane only), and there is traffic in from of him (i.e. no where for him to go), I try to give him at least 1.5 car lengths for each 10 mph we are traveling. If there is nobody ahead of him, and he is just hogging the lane, I try to give him at least 2 feet regardless of the speed (50 mph or 80 mph). If it's at night, the way my 1 ton bounces around, he's getting a pretty good dose of my low beams in his rear view mirror. It usually doesn't take him too long to figure out that my headlights are closer to his rear window than he is sitting in the front seat.

I, personally would like to see the same sentences handed out to road hogs as to drunk drivers. They pose the same level of threat to public safety but without the notoriety.

Rant mode off. I'll go take my meds now.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it all depends on the type of vehicle im driving, the road conditions and the type of vehicle the person in front of me is driving.

If there is a high performance sports car in front of me, that I know will stop on a dime, I allow for more room. If im following a semi, I start drafting the guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
And there is the funny thing about tailgating. You really don't have to drive any slower to observe a safe following distance. Whether you are 1 second behind or 3 seconds behind, you are still going exactly the same speed as the vehicle in front of you and you will still get to your destination at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for this, Lurker! Should be etched in stone somewhere. It has taken me about a year to convince my 4-year-old of this fact, but I'm happy to report that she now "gets it." For a while there, she assumed that every car in front of me was "faster" and every car behind me was "slower." So... if my 4-year-old can get it... how long for the rest of the drivers out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
After reading the responses in this thread, I find it ludicrous that nobody else is outraged by the preponderance of road hogs, idiots, and self appointed speed limit vigilantees traveling the left hand lane of the nations highways, or maybe just the SF Bay area Highways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, I'll see your left-lane idiots, and raise you some right-lane idiots. OK, the self-appointed speed limit guys are annoying, I agree. How about the tail-gaters in the RIGHT lane? I often travel HWY 80 wich is at least 4 lanes in each direction most of my travel. FOUR lanes! If I feel like doing 60mph... or 55 with a trailer, or whatever safe speed I choose... why do some of these idiots tailgate me over THERE for miles and miles? There are three lanes to go around me, but sometimes I'll get a guy on my tail that just won't leave. Grr.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got a point there Darell. My last trip home from the mountains, there was this guy tailgaiting me. So, being the nice guy that I am, as soon as I see an oportunity for him to pass I pull as far as I can to the right and slow down. The guy doesn't pass. Now I'm down to about 30mph and the guy still doesn't.

I figure there must be some kind of Darwin's law at work here. Fortunately for the guy tailgating, I never had the need to make a panic stop. With my rig, a mule could beat me out of the starting gate, but, crazy as it may sound, I can stop faster than most cars. On more than one occasion, I've had people flying past me on the shoulder just to keep from hitting me.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, I'll see your left-lane idiots, and raise you some right-lane idiots. OK, the self-appointed speed limit guys are annoying, I agree. How about the tail-gaters in the RIGHT lane? I often travel HWY 80 wich is at least 4 lanes in each direction most of my travel. FOUR lanes! If I feel like doing 60mph... or 55 with a trailer, or whatever safe speed I choose... why do some of these idiots tailgate me over THERE for miles and miles? There are three lanes to go around me, but sometimes I'll get a guy on my tail that just won't leave. Grr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a power trip and intentional intimation. Many drivers get their kicks out of trying to intimidate people to speed up for them.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I have seen more than instance where the tailgater was an elderly person with apparent vision deficinecies. If he tailgates, he has a close object to get a fix on. I think this is where the right lane tailgaters are likely to be found.

Quote Darell:
"...So... if my 4-year-old can get it... how long for the rest of the drivers out there?"

Dream on partner. I strongly suspect your 4 Y.O. is smarter than 999/1000 drivers on the road.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be talking about my next door neighbor (late 70's to early 80's). He has a very unique car. The gas pedal only has 2 positions - on and off. I used to ask him for rides when I had to take my car in for service or repairs, but it just go to be too scary, He considers safe distance between the passenger side of the car where I sit and the cars parked along the right side of the road to be about 1/2 inch.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
The left hand lane is a passing lane, and intended for that purpose only. If I'm not passing someone, I'm not in the left hand lane.

[/ QUOTE ]There is only one speed limit: the posted limit. It applies to all lanes. If the speed limit says 60 MPH, you're not free to spend your entire journey "passing" at 70 MPH. You may use it to pass a driver traveling below the limit. You may not use it to pass a speeder who is violating it by too small a margin to suit you.

Bottom line: The posted limit is a maximum--not a minimum.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who knew? I always thought the speed limit was just a guideline
evilgrin07.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried following the 3 second rule in the DC metro area (especially on the beltway) but people kept pulling into the open area in front of me, so I'd have to fall back a bit more again to re-create the buffer, "rinse wash repeat"... about the time I had to shift into reverse I figured something was wrong with that system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Of course in my fantasy world the left most lane would always be "passing and emergency vehicles only". I'd love to live in a place where the left lane stayed open, even in a massive traffic jam, so that the emergency crews could get through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

MrMimizu

Enlightened
That's one of the problems. The speed limit signs should have a maximum and minimum on them. There is no way a person driving 50-60 on the highway is anywhere near safe. Yet you see it all the time.
You got the jerk who is in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway going 50 and all the cars going 100 having to change lanes to avoid him. That's an accident waiting to happen.

I leave enough room to allow me to slow down in time to not hit the guy in front, no matter how hard he slams his brakes. Saves me from having to brake when guy ahead just taps his brakes for no reason too.

Leaving lots of space saved me just yesterday.
Following a guy who would SLAM on his brakes at every light, regardless of colour. First time, I thought he saw an animal, second time, I stayed about 50m back even though we were only going 40. Watched him do this for 8 lights before I turned.
I shoulda asked him how often he needs to replace his brake pads.

[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Bottom line: The posted limit is a maximum--not a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MrMimizu said:
The speed limit signs should have a maximum and minimum on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that. I can remember seeing signs that did have minimum speeds posted on them - I just wish I could remember where I saw them.

Most states do have laws on the books specifying minimum speeds for freeways even though they may not be posted on the signs. When I was a kid back in Michigan (we'll not get into how long ago that was), I had a motor scooter with a top end of 50 mph. It was illegal to take this scooter on the freeway due to the highest speed that it could go.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IHS in Tennessee has mininum 40 MPH signs posted every so often, but they are infrequent.