Newly Enlightened
hi folks,

i am looking for a new flashlight to that fits the following needs:

- 1X 18650 --> Must
- Single Mode --> Nice to have
- Side switch --> Must
- XM-L or at least more than real 350 lumens --> Must
- Clip --> Must

It should be as small as possible. i dont mind either it is a thrower or floodlight. Most important is the runtime. i want want to turn it on without changing modes and already have the highest level. this should last for at least 2 hours without loosing lumens.

anything out there that fits the bill?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Closest I can think of is the Zebralight SC600. It is multi-mode, but a single click switches on H1 (750/500Lumens) or H2 (330/200lm) depending on which you have programmed it for. Has a side clicky, but no clip - so you'd have to sort that out yourself. This particular light seem to be extremely popular with CPFers.

The superceded SC60 does have a clip, but less output than the SC600. I wouldn't like to run one on Hi for 2 hours straight (mine gets a bit hot on H1 after 10-15 minutes). I'm not sure about availability of these (they are currently listed on the ZL site).

You should also be considering what sort of beam you want (flood/throw, hotspot/spill).

Sofastreamer

Newly Enlightened
well, the zl has way too much ui. i will not support that. by the way i think, the newest revision has a clip. ok, if i have to choose, i would go vor throw with a lot of spill

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac T20c2 XML might be more Your style, if the UI is anything like the P20c2 XML I had, it comes on in hi and only hi, you have to loosen the bezel to get to any of the other modes.

Oops no side switch hmmmm

joe1512

Enlightened
Keep in mind that many lights may have complex UI, but they either have memory or start out on high mode.

So all you do is turn on the light, move it to HIGH mode. then from then on, use it as a 1 mode light. ON = high.

You can read reviews and determine if the UI works this way or not. Many do. This might open up your choices somewhat.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Most of the "tactical" lights come on in high, with no memory...but, are tail switched. Find a side switched one you like, and you should be good to go.

The Spark SL6-800CW comes closest off the top of my head.....but you'd need to set it to come on in high the first time, and then after that I think it would do it regularely.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL - If a tail switch with easy "on in high" - one button on/off would work - I'd just say get a Klarus XT11 and call it a day....DONE.

:D

Sofastreamer

Newly Enlightened
ok, lets put all the wants in a trashcan and just leave sideswitch and the clip. if not 18650 than AA. come on there must be something besides the zebras.:shrug:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Why a side switch is such a big issue on a small light is a problem....get rid of that one stipulation, and it all works.

On a little light, a tail switch is easy to use....for a maglight sized light, sure, the side switch makes more sense, and is common.

But, you want a 2 hr +, 350+ Lumen, side switched light....with a single 18650 battery or smaller.

If you go AA, now its even HARDER to find one, because they won't have the run time OR brightness you wanted, and so forth.

When you add up "Small as Possible" + "2 hours at more than 350 lumens" + one battery + Side switch + Clip you get = Nuttin...except what I already recommeded, as close at least.

Give up the size, brightness, runtime, clip or side switch, and sure, things start to work.

:D

Maybe its better to tell us what you need it to DO for you, and maybe the context will fill in some blanks, add options?

For example, the Klarus XT11 is actually exactly what you asked for, except it has an on/off tail switch, instead of a side switch.

Why does it HAVE TO have a side switch?

Etc

Last edited:

Sofastreamer

Newly Enlightened
because i already own 10+ lights with tailswitch and each is making me angry every time i need to press the tail.

i said put everything aside. lumens do not matter any longer it is all about clip, sideswitch and a looong runtime.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Check out iTP's then...they have the clip, a side switch, and on the lower setting, can run many hours.

tam17

Enlightened
Nitecore are supposed to reveal their new line of EDC flashlights on IWA next month, chances are there's going to be one compact (but powerful) 1x18650 with side switch(es). Their photos were posted here last year. I don't know about clip, though.

Cheers,

Tam

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK41, and TK45 have side switches but no clip.
Sunwayman T20cs and Spark 800cw have dual switches

Danielight

Enlightened
OK, here's a two AA light that might be of some interest:

KLARUS ST20
Features:
1. Variable frequency strobe: easily accessed from any light mode
2. Momentary activation
3. Intelligent memory function (memorizes the last used lighting mode)
4. Super low mode (2 lumens) offering extended runtime
5. High-efficiency digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
6. Easy access side switch
7. Max output: 240 ANSI Lumens.
8. Max run time: 200 hours
9. Reverse polarity protection
10. One hand operation

Check it out at illuminationGear

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just remembered the Sunwayman T20CS!

It can do the one 18650, its got the lumens, side switch and clip...over $100, but, the specs work for the most part...I'm not as familiar with its UI though.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I''m having trouble understanding why the UI of the Xebralights is such a problem for you. Single click = Hi, every time. You can just ignore all the rest of the UI if you want. They have several different lights with side switches and a clip (18650, CR123, AA).

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's Mister Bulks Lion Cub if you want to go the custom rout. He uses side switches, I don't know much about them, but they are gorgeous, you'll need deep pockets to afford one though ;)

Latest posts