Seek specific info - long life batteries - and more

Minni

Newly Enlightened
Hi, if anyone can offer the benefit of their experience, thanks.

(1) I timed my Duracell NiMH long life batteries for use (on the High setting) inside my warm Cree XLamp warm LED 110 Lumens lantern. I actually didn't time it precisely, since I wasn't available the entire time. But I know that within approx. 6 hours, the light had become dimmed, unlike when I first inserted the newly charged Duracells.

If any of you own the Cree lantern, how long before Eneloop AA's in the lantern dim?

In other words would Eneloop batteries be preferable to the Duracell ones?

Furthermore, inside the Cree, would these Panasonic digital AA's be best of all for long blackout, i.e. better than both rechargables above?
http://selectgiftswholesale.com/shopimg/201108//thumb/1312850787.jpg

(2) During prolonged blackouts, what would last longer in my Energizer Weather Ready (which holds D cells):

Panasonic DigitalPower "D" cells,
or:
Dantona 9000 mAh?

(3) Now I know I may hear from you re: Lithium Ion, or re: those 3-AA to 1-D adapters, but I'm not sure how hassle free or safe either of those are.

(4) Or else you may suggest I contact Energizer, which I did, but was quite authoritariatively told that they can't warranty anything but Energizer batteries, and furthermore, she incorrectly informed me that it only lasts 20 hours on batteries, whereas I then told her the literature stated 500 hours, so someone at the company told her to inform me that it meant on the night mode. Their customer hotline is totally screwed up, since I've read online reviews testifying to the full 500 hours (probably on the low mode).

btw, while the Cree is very pleasant on my eyes, i can still use something a bit brighter than the Cree, to cast light in a wider area, so i also had my eye out on either the Rayovac Sportsman extreme (but 300 lumen may be too bright for me as i'm sensitive), or Energizers' folding lantern (not sure if its 112 lumen or 185 since there's different data everywhere re: this model).
here's the pic:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Energizer-Weather-Ready-FL452WRH-Lantern/5535009/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

any other suggestions, for something affordable, yet pleasantly diffusing more light (while lasting, say, 200 hours or more?)
guess warm light would be too much to hope for in something like that..

Burgess

Flashaholic
Step number 1:

Tell us about your "Duracell NiMH long life batteries".

Any *NUMBER* printed on the side of the battery ? ? ?

Oh, and just so you are aware . . . .

Any Alkaline battery can LEAK !

Can happen under most ANY condition.

rbramski

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how many lumen that light is, but if you search for
2x 27 LED Compact Work-light Magnetic W/hook, Package of 2 (Af5011)
on amazon you can get 2 for 9 dollars.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, if anyone can offer the benefit of their experience, thanks.

(1) I timed my Duracell NiMH long life batteries for use (on the High setting) inside my warm Cree XLamp warm LED 110 Lumens lantern. I actually didn't time it precisely, since I wasn't available the entire time. But I know that within approx. 6 hours, the light had become dimmed, unlike when I first inserted the newly charged Duracells.

If any of you own the Cree lantern, how long before Eneloop AA's in the lantern dim?

In other words would Eneloop batteries be preferable to the Duracell ones?

Furthermore, inside the Cree, would these Panasonic digital AA's be best of all for long blackout, i.e. better than both rechargables above?
http://selectgiftswholesale.com/shopimg/201108//thumb/1312850787.jpg

:oops:
HR6 / DX1500 NiMH
1,2V / 2000 mAh
Standard charge 200mA for 16h/Polariat

I own a similar lantern to yours except it has a Luxeon K2 LED instead of a Cree. I used it recently during a blackout and found it very convenient. It was brighter than other battery lanterns I have except for a big fluorescent one.

About run time, this depends on the current draw of the light and the capacity of the batteries. Running my light on Eneloops I measure the current draw on high to be ~500 mA and on low to be ~200 mA. Your Duracell batteries have a capacity of ~2000 mAh (that's under ideal test conditions; more like 1900 mAh in real life usage). Eneloops are exactly the same. So for my light the run time would be about 1900/500 = under 4 h on high, 1900/200 = about 9.5 h on low. I see it reported that the Cree light draws more like 350 mA on high, so the run time would be 1900/350 = 5.5 h.

This assumes the light stays at full brightness. It doesn't though, it tails off towards the end as the voltage falls. So the run times could be slightly longer.

Now this is where rechargeable batteries and alkaline batteries differ. Rechargeables will stay brighter, but drop off quicker. If you run on alkalines like the Panasonic ones you linked to, then the light will run with a long slow tail rather than dimming quickly. This might give a longer run time, but it will not be at full brightness.

Now I think the answer to your question is not to buy longer lasting batteries, but to have spare batteries as replacements. For example if you bought some Eneloops to add to your Duracell batteries you would get twice the run time. No single battery is going to give you the same performance as two sets of batteries used one after the other. The important thing with rechargeable batteries is to make sure they are "pre-charged" or "low self-discharge". That way they will stay charged for six months to a year in storage. Your typical high capacity rechargeable battery like a 2650 mAh type will not do that.

Minni

Newly Enlightened
I own a similar lantern to yours except it has a Luxeon K2 LED instead of a Cree. I used it recently during a blackout and found it very convenient. It was brighter than other battery lanterns I have except for a big fluorescent one.

About run time, this depends on the current draw of the light and the capacity of the batteries. Running my light on Eneloops I measure the current draw on high to be ~500 mA and on low to be ~200 mA. Your Duracell batteries have a capacity of ~2000 mAh (that's under ideal test conditions; more like 1900 mAh in real life usage). Eneloops are exactly the same. So for my light the run time would be about 1900/500 = under 4 h on high, 1900/200 = about 9.5 h on low. I see it reported that the Cree light draws more like 350 mA on high, so the run time would be 1900/350 = 5.5 h.

This assumes the light stays at full brightness. It doesn't though, it tails off towards the end as the voltage falls. So the run times could be slightly longer.

Now this is where rechargeable batteries and alkaline batteries differ. Rechargeables will stay brighter, but drop off quicker. If you run on alkalines like the Panasonic ones you linked to, then the light will run with a long slow tail rather than dimming quickly. This might give a longer run time, but it will not be at full brightness.

Now I think the answer to your question is not to buy longer lasting batteries, but to have spare batteries as replacements. For example if you bought some Eneloops to add to your Duracell batteries you would get twice the run time. No single battery is going to give you the same performance as two sets of batteries used one after the other. The important thing with rechargeable batteries is to make sure they are "pre-charged" or "low self-discharge". That way they will stay charged for six months to a year in storage. Your typical high capacity rechargeable battery like a 2650 mAh type will not do that.
Thanks!
What's your opinion re: Energizer AA ultra lithium batteries? http://www.overstock.com/Emergency-...m-AA-Batteries-Pack-of-4/5968999/product.html

Can the above lithiums safely be used inside the Cree XLamp lantern?

Am I glad I bought the Energizer 500-hour Weather Ready lantern (running on three D cells) a few years back.
Because its light isn't so bad considering its run time, though I do prefer warm lite vs. its cool lite (and why I also bought the Cree).

Latest posts