Seeking handheld flashlight with a tailcap switch with momentary on only (press & Hold)

Viking

Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight (other than Surefire) with a tailcap switch with momentary on only, meaning the flashlight turns on when the tailcap is pressed and held, and turns off when released.
It must not be able to be clicked permanently on, as I walk around with it in my pocket, and do not want it to be inadvertently switched on for longer periods of time. It's ok however, if it can be turned on permanently by turning the tailcap, but not by accidently clicking it.
Also, the user interface must not have strobe or other fancy features. It must be simple to operate, with just a constant lightbeam.
Ideally, it should be no longer than 15 cm ( approx. 5.9 inches).
I already have two Surefire flashlights that qualify (LX2 Lumamax & EB2 Backup) , but I want to try something else than Surefire, but have not been able to find other brands with a tailcap switch that cannot be accidentally clicked permanently on, and have the same simple user interface. They all have either strobe or a clicky tailcap switch.

Any suggestions are welcome

Viking

Enlightened
Those seem like two really good suggestions, that are just what I'm looking for.
I am a little embarrassed to admit, I had already looked at Elzeta, but mistakenly concluded they all had strobe function.
But this suggestion made me once again go to their website to see if there was something I had overlooked, and I now realize they actually have a tailcap switch and user interface that i'm looking for.
NEXTORCH I haven't heard of before. But the proposed model also looks very interesting, and is also just what I'm looking for.

Many thanks to both of you.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an optional "momentary only" tail cap for the Inforce TFx Handheld. It's around $18 on top of the cost of the light.
I don't have any experience with Inforce products.

Viking

Enlightened
Yes, I see they sell a separate tail cap switch with momentary only function, very interesting. I will look into that as well.

Many thanks.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASP.

Their 'standard' interface for many lights is momentary-on tailcap pushbutton, usng the 'tap / double-tap' scheme (popular in LE and some related user communities) for primary max-output level first (tap), and selecting a user-configurable secondary mode via the second quick tap (when executed) - (double-tap). BTW: In case you wonder, I never hit the second mode unintentionally using mine (which is 'LOW' on my 'carry' light). This is typically accompanied by a 3-position 'twist' (rotary) switch in the tail cap which selects 'momentary', 'constant' (maintained) on, or locked out. In these cases, 'maintained-on' is not possible using the PB switch, as you specified. On their site product pages, the "Sell Sheet" document link has most of the good detailed spec. info, cutaway diagrams, etc.

They're high quality stuff from an established US manufacturer who's ISO 9001 certified, and also a PLATO member. Things like FL1 2-meter impact rating, gold plated contacts, and self-cleaning switch contacts also typical with their lights. One of their smaller lights has lived in my pocket for several years now.

Last edited:

Viking

Enlightened
Thank you all.

I think you all have come up with some really good suggestions,
and has given me something to think about.
Over the weekend I expect to make a decision about which new work light I want to buy.

fulee9999

Enlightened
ASP.

Their 'standard' interface for many lights is momentary-on tailcap pushbutton, usng the 'tap / double-tap' scheme (popular in LE and some related user communities) for primary max-output level first (tap), and selecting a user-configurable secondary mode via the second quick tap (when executed) - (double-tap). BTW: In case you wonder, I never hit the second mode unintentionally using mine (which is 'LOW' on my 'carry' light). This is typically accompanied by a 3-position 'twist' (rotary) switch in the tail cap which selects 'momentary', 'constant' (maintained) on, or locked out. In these cases, 'maintained-on' is not possible using the PB switch, as you specified. On their site product pages, the "Sell Sheet" document link has most of the good detailed spec. info, cutaway diagrams, etc.

They're high quality stuff from an established US manufacturer who's ISO 9001 certified, and also a PLATO member. Things like FL1 2-meter impact rating, gold plated contacts, and self-cleaning switch contacts also typical with their lights. One of their smaller lights has lived in my pocket for several years now.

does that use an e-switch like Inforce or a mechanical like the Elzettas?

fulee9999

Enlightened
wait I just remembered the Peak Logan 17500 works in momentary-high only mode if you swap the QTC pill and the battery

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
does that use an e-switch like Inforce or a mechanical like the Elzettas?

I can't speak to the implementation of the user interface, only their described 'logical' operation, because I lack the information required to determine anything beyond that. Although I have / use a couple of their lights, my info about the current model line is pretty much limited to what's in their product pages and "Sell Sheets" on their site.

Their model line has undergone a good bit of change in recent times, with a number of models discontinued / replaced by new ones, with a couple of operational changes incorporated. The one that lives in my pocket is no longer in production, and at least of one of its replacements has also been discontinued. My ASP lights do not incorporate the 3-position tail cap mode selector, which allows one to essentially eliminate 'maintained on' (ie: constant on) from the tailcap pushbutton operation as we're discussing by selecting 'momentary'. Additionally, it appears that not just 'most', but essentially 'all' of their newest / current models incorporate that feature / operation. That means their current lights don't operate exactly like mine, and I can only speculate about how they're implementing the current design (switch type(s), circuitry, etc.)

ASP tends to take a fairly consistent approach to their designs, and once they determine that a particular design is optimal, they tend to standardize that in their product line. That appears to be the case with this rotary tail cap selector. They heavily target a particular user segment / segments (LEO, tac ops, security, etc.), and apparently take most / all of their input from those users - which is as is should be. Another 'feature' they've implemented in most models is the ability to very quickly and easily access a very basic UI config option (such as defining the secondary 'double tap' output desired), as that's something which tends to vary more subjectively with users rather than being a more philosophical thing. One cannot help but note the similarity of this to Streamlight's well-regarded 'Ten-Tap' options which are also easily selected. It's also no accident that ASP's preferred 'Tap / Double-tap' operation also mirrors one (or more) of the SL Ten-Tap options. In these examples, contrary to what some might think, it is not so much a matter of these companies 'copying' each other (which is fundamentally how product development occurs at the large scale and is normal and proper), but is rather more due to the fact that they are both targeting the same users, and are both 'listening to' essentially the same users in their focus groups / research. It would be surprising if they were not getting the same input.

Anyway, to climb back out "of the weeds", those are two examples of differences between my ASP lights and most / all of their current lineup, and since I don't have one which operates like their current models, I can't really speculate about the specifics of the current implementation of their interface.

I guess I should've just said 'I don't know':)

EDIT: BTW, the switches on my current ASP lights are essentially analogous and similar to the switch on my Elzetta Alpha G3, except that I use the 'Hi-Lo' tailcap on that, whereas my ASPs access the second lower output level via 'double-tap' instead of rotary tail cap selector. They are otherwise the same. That says nothing about the design of the current ASP lights, however. I was completely unfamiliar with the Inforce light until it was mentioned here, but can't tell much about it from the info they provide - aside from the fact that they do offer a 'momentary-only' tailcap for it, which is nice.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Seeking handheld flashlight with a tailcap switch with momentary on only (press & Hold)
For non-Surefire, McGizmo made several lights with a push activation like that. Lunasol 20 is a great light, and even switches between low/high depending on how far you push it.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't see a twisty not being the answer here. if your pockets are like a washing machine then you need an appropriate light.

Any light riding in my pocket without a clip is a twistie.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I just can't see a twisty not being the answer here. if your pockets are like a washing machine then you need an appropriate light.

Any light riding in my pocket without a clip is a twistie.
I can't see a user wanting a momentary push switch being happy with a twist activated light, but the older McGizmo lights do that too, in addition to the momentary push switch.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't see a user wanting a momentary push switch being happy with a twist activated light, but the older McGizmo lights do that too, in addition to the momentary push switch.

His 1st post leads me to believe he only wants a momentary on so that the light doesn't stay on when accidently turned on in his pocket.
If that's the case, and he's not a super-hard-tactical user, then a twisty might work great.

Another option is an e-switch light with lockout mode. The Lumintop FW series lights seem to be well liked as long as you're OK with lockout.

Last edited: