Seeking recomendations: 1-3w flood long battery life

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty weird with the preemptive quote.

I've seen MagLED products at Wal*Mart, Home Depot, and Fry's.

xoham

Newly Enlightened
I ultimately purchased a Maglite 2D with a Magled. It was around $42.00 U.S. Funny how the bulb is more expensive than the Maglite itself.

I already had some old Rayovac D Renewals to run a big portable fluorescent tube lantern and they appear to be working well in this light.

A somewhat blue-ish beam and a dark-center donut, as predicted, if you expand the focus of the beam.

Effectiveness:
Very wide spill but still with a spot. I would prefer a more floody beam, or at least a wider spot, but this appears to work very well.

Almost every car that passed me when I took it on my walk turned on their high beams to make sure they could see the pedestrians (me). Since this didn't always happen before, I take this as a sign of my new visibility.

A guy on the far side of my apartment complex shouted, "Hey, flashlight!". I turned it on him and he said, "One minute it is 10:30 pm, the next it is high noon!".

Good cheap product with high battery life expectations as per this review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
I'm glad I didn't go with some of the >$100 lights I had considered.

It would be nice if it had some sort of glow-in-the-dark feature to find it in a power outage.

Thank You everyone that posted advice, even if I didn't take it.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waion's new VB-16 lets you set power levels from 0.3 through 4 watts (plus a moon mode) and runs off rechargeable 18650's and 2xRCR123s (also primary cells). Beam does have a hot spot but the smallish reflector gives a brighter spill compared to the hot spot. It has type 3 hard anodization, coated glass lens, etc. and costs $55 shipped.

Don't know run times but if it ran 2 hrs to 50% at full power (level 32) on one 18650 (an educated guess), it should (assuming equal efficiency at all levels) deliver 50 hours at level 2. Level one is a moon mode which I guesstimate would deliver about 2000 hours run time on one charged 18650.

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you want normal style or the flashaholic style?

for normal= get a magled 3D and buy a diffusing lens.

for flashaholic= get a 3D mag(incan) then mod with a u bin, some good driver and a HOP reflector. then find those nimh D cells with 12000mah capacity and a good charger for them.

InfidelCastro

Banned
If I wanted something like that, I'd probably just put a Fenix L2T or similiar light (Jetbeam MKII or LightFlux LF1) on low. Get a good 20 hour runtime on low and using rechargeable batteries as well.

And then the high beam is there too, if you would need it for some reason.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend going with the SF L2. You would have good runtime on low and that is all the light you would need at nite imho.

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
I haven't read this entire thread, but I found that a big cell m*g-LED along with the reflector that I use for my RoP (MoP from sandwich shoppe,) creats a nice wide flood, but isn't very bright.

europium

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
Waion's new VB-16 lets you set power levels from 0.3 through 4 watts (plus a moon mode) and runs off rechargeable 18650's and 2xRCR123s (also primary cells). Beam does have a hot spot but the smallish reflector gives a brighter spill compared to the hot spot. It has type 3 hard anodization, coated glass lens, etc. and costs $55 shipped.

Don't know run times but if it ran 2 hrs to 50% at full power (level 32) on one 18650 (an educated guess), it should (assuming equal efficiency at all levels) deliver 50 hours at level 2. Level one is a moon mode which I guesstimate would deliver about 2000 hours run time on one charged 18650.
This is a high-quality variation of the light I recommended. It can be had, including 18650s and charger, for $100 or less.

I really don't understand the popularity of D-cell lights for walking. I got the CPF LE Multi-Level Light precisely because I got weary of carrying my 3-D Mag with Lux drop-in. I am not a weakling nor infirm, but holding a D-cell light in my hands for a couple of hours was no fun at all. I now use my 3-D with cool-tinted Lux for power outages, or "mood lighting."

xoham

Newly Enlightened
This light has probably saved me from a hospital stay already. People drive pretty foolishly near where I walk.

Somebody rolled down their window and shouted to me, "Thanks for being visible!" That was cool.

The reasoning for going with the D light is the really long battery life. It is a bit cumbersome to lug around but does the job well.

What is an HOP reflector and where could I get it?

Last edited:

xoham

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja said:
I have Press n Seal under the lens of my MagLED 2C. I can focus to a pretty wide flood with no donut hole. The instructions on my drop-in clearly state NO RCHARGEABLE BATTERIES.
I don't recall if the MagLED package said NO RECHARGEABLE or not. I use rechargeables with it and so far, no troubles.

Latest posts