Self-discharge rate of xtar 1.5V Li-ion AA/AAA batteries

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
The xtar 1.5V AA/AAA Li-ion battery integrates an efficient charge and discharge management chip, and uses 1.5 MHz synchronous buck converter to provide the 1.5V output. Some users asked about the self-discharge rate. When the cells are stored in the fully-charged state, the self-discharge rate typically remains below 5% per month. If the internal cells are stored with the voltage below 3.6V, the self-discharge rate is less than 3% per month. You can rest assured that these 1.5V Li-ion batteries won't get over-discharged within one year of your purchase.

Actually, the self-discharge rate of batteries can be influenced by many factors, such as ambient temperature, state of charge, battery construction, charging current... The breakdown of organic electrolytes is a common source of self-discharge in Li-ion batteries. The self-discharge tends to occur more quickly at higher temperatures and excessive humidity. So, when your xtar 1.5V Li-ion batteries are not used for a long period, please keep them in a cool and dry place. Besides, please remember to charge these batteries at every 6 month during long-time storage.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks for your quick reply.
I have some 18650's still new in the box that are years old. Do they also need to be periodically charged?
And if so, should I bring them up to 3.7 volts, or higher?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your quick reply.
I have some 18650's still new in the box that are years old. Do they also need to be periodically charged?
And if so, should I bring them up to 3.7 volts, or higher?
The new VC4SL, storage mode will leave them a bit lower than 3.7 (3.4)

I prefer to have fully charged cells available during power outages. What good are near dead batteries during emergency outages?

That said, I check my cells periodically throughout the year, every 4mo or so..

Poppy

Flashaholic
@knucklegary I also keep most of my cells fully charged, in fact most of them are actually stored IN flashlights. Some are in a box under my bed, others in a box in my closet, others in a drawer in my bedroom and others scattered around the house, and in my car.

The ones that are stored, last time I checked were at 75% or better, and they hadn't been charged in a couple of years. I topped them all off a few months ago.

But the new still in box batteries haven't been opened. I presume that they came at 3.7 V.

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
For maximizing the storage life, it's suggested to store the Li-ion batteries at around 40-60% charge. This range provides a balance between preserving capacity and minimizing self-discharge during storage. If you store your 18650 for years, could use a smart charger with storage mode at every 6 month. The charger will charge or discharge the batteries to 3.7V automatically, ideal for their long time storage.

Latest posts