Silicone based lube

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
I just called "Radio Shack" and asked if they had some silicone, not petroleum based lube for "O" rings and threads~~and they said that they didn't stock it! The Surefire maintenance manual says to always use silicone based lube. Radio Shack is an ELECTRONIC'S store! Is this stuff all that difficult to find? Am I looking in the wrong store?

Thanks,
Will

Tomas

Banned
Radio Shack Multi Purpose Lube Gel 64-2326

Copied right off the three ounce tube in front of me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
Super Lube
It is a Synthetic Grease. Clear and non-toxic. U.S.D.A rated H-1. I have used it for the O rings when overhauling dive regulators. In other words it is safe. It is dielectric (important for your flashlight). It has a temperature range of, -47 F to 450 F. I buy it in the 3-oz. tube for $3.95 a tube. Check you local industrial supply distributor. I get it from a place called Bearing and Drives Inc. If you can't find it go to
http://www.super-lube.com

James

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:
Super Lube
It is a Synthetic Grease. Clear and non-toxic. U.S.D.A rated H-1. I have used it for the O rings when overhauling dive regulators. In other words it is safe. It is dielectric (important for your flashlight). It has a temperature range of, -47 F to 450 F. I buy it in the 3-oz. tube for $3.95 a tube. Check you local industrial supply distributor. I get it from a place called Bearing and Drives Inc. If you can't find it go to
http://www.super-lube.com

James

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the same product Radio Shack sells as Lube Gel. I bought a tube of it about ten years ago have used it on just about anything I own that needs greasing and I STILL have about 3/4 of it left. A little bit of it goes a long way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
The best silicone oil you can get inexpesively for oringsis trinity shock oil from you local hobby shop. less than 5 bucks for 100% silicone with no additives. They claim it is blended to a tolerance of .001%. It comes in a 2 oz bottle. I use it for both RC and for the orings in my airsoft guns since it is also plastic safe. One thing that I had found out about silicone oils that you get from the automotive or hardware store from airsofting is that they claim 100% pure silicone oil, but if you look a the label there is often petrolium distillates that are part of the propelant. While they may be trace amounts why take the chance with your seals. The trinity oil also comes in weights ranging from 10 to 100. If you do not have a local hobby shop for RC, you can order online or get more info from tower hobbies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=trinity+weight+shock+oil&FVPROFIL=++

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think jtivat (did I spell that right?) should have some Nyogel silicone grease for sale. Check it out in BST... Why call when you can Paypal? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kentucky Rifle,

I second the Auto Parts store suggestion. That's where I got mine after much looking, AND it was NOT expensive. (a small tube for $2). If the people there don't know what you are talking about, ask for silicone spark plug boot lubricant. They usually sell 1 shot uses of these in little metal foil packs for 99 cents or something.