Simple 18650 edc. Need suggestions.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Ok everyone...... I am looking to get my brother in law a new edc light. He never used to carry one, and could never understand why I did. Well about 4 years ago I gave him a lumintop aaa, and after carrying it for a month, he wondered how he ever lived without a light in his pocket. He now carries a lumintop aa 2.0 but goes through batteries a lot. I wanted to get him into the 18650 world since he just got a no name brand headlamp that takes 18650's. The thing is.....he doesn't like anything fancy, or flashy and would not be interested in something with a ton of modes. I love my fw3a and d4v2, but something like that would not be appealing to him. So my question is..........
What are your thoughts, opinions, recommendations on a light that is.....
A. 18650
B. Less than say 60$
C. Decent quality
D. Simple UI for a non flashaholic that carries a light.
E. Smaller size. Like the fw3a.

Thank you in advance..

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy s2+ 3 mode. Great little light for a new user or someone that likes simple. Can be had for under 20 dollars and well versed in reliability and usability. Don't think it's cheap junk because of the price. They are excellent.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Convoy s2+ 3 mode. Great little light for a new user or someone that likes simple. Can be had for under 20 dollars and well versed in reliability and usability. Don't think it's cheap junk because of the price. They are excellent.

I forgot about those! However, I forgot to put in my post a smaller 18650. Like the size of the fw3a or something comparable

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I looked at a couple of sites that sell these, and the only interface description was this:

"choose the low mode ,wait about 5 seconds ,when you see flashing ,turn off your flashlight.then turn it on , you can switch to 3mode group or 5mode group"

What the heck does that mean?? For someone who's not an enthusiast and just wants a simple light, I'm thinking just two modes, or maybe three at most but no "group switching" stuff.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Okay, I looked at a couple of sites that sell these, and the only interface description was this:

"choose the low mode ,wait about 5 seconds ,when you see flashing ,turn off your flashlight.then turn it on , you can switch to 3mode group or 5mode group"

What the heck does that mean?? For someone who's not an enthusiast and just wants a simple light, I'm thinking just two modes, or maybe three at most but no "group switching" stuff.

You should NEVER buy Convoy lights from any site that is not the Convoy store, hosted in AliExpress. :whistle: What you described here is the horribly outdated 3/5 driver. You can get a very simple and muggle-friendly 4-mode if you message Simon (the guy behind Convoy) in the Ali message system and ask for it.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Fenix E28R

USB-C for charging anywhere and bezel down clip, pluses imo.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wowtac A7

I own one and it's easily one of the best purchases I have ever made. Simple UI: Tail switch is on/off with momentary on. Side switch changes modes only and you have to hold the button down to get strobe and even then it only stays on as long as the main power is locked on...interrupt power for more than a second and it goes back to the last used normal mode. Micro-USB recharging port too. The knurling on it is amazing, plenty of grip. As good as that on my Surefire 6P.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for a convoy s2+ from Simon. Just can't beat it for a friat decent light. If you go with the biscotti just program it for 3 or 4 mode setting for him.

Another option might be a Lumensfactory Seraph, but I don't know if those have LVP. Otherwise Sofirn has a ton of options. Their dive light, the SD05, is dead simple to use.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add $20, get him whichever version Zebralight SC64 floats your boat, and program it so that each sublevel is the same as each main level. Then he'll have 3 modes(which you can choose the brightness of) in sequence when he holds down the switch, and instant access to high by just clicking once. Shoot, you can make it a one mode light, if you like.
Great build quality, simple, bright or dim as you choose, and small as it gets.
That's what I'd do-'cause that's exactly what I've been thinking of doing for a friend of mine, except with a AA model.

Latest posts