Something for reading in bed

curtludwig

Newly Enlightened
I've got a cabin back in the woods and I need a light for reading in bed. My current light uses D-cells and rechargables are expensive... I don't like using a headlamp so thats out.

My current light is similar to: amazon Energizer-R-Folding-Fluorescent-Lantern but an older model. I put aluminum foil over one side which makes it brighter for what I need.

I'd like something smaller (and lighter!) but of similar brightness, it'll hang on the wall over my head, keep that in mind...

Ideas?

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

curtludwig

Newly Enlightened
Wow, 80+ reads and no responses. If its not a tac light nobody wants anything to do with it? Nobody reads in bed? :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Wow, 80+ reads and no responses. If its not a tac light nobody wants anything to do with it? Nobody reads in bed? :)

There are so many choices that it might be very helpful to fill out the standard questionnaire (copy and paste from here ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/372269

... "stickied" at the top of this sub-forum).

Lots of useful info there (eg, budget, cell type, size, lumens, user interface, etc) will help narrow down the possibilities and get you better advice ;)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I like reading in bed, and have my perfect light for it, but it just seemed so far off from what you described (and probably what most people do) I didn't bother posting. I use a "bright" 0.3 lumen "moonlight mode" from a floody XML light with the hotspot just covering the width of the page and "hold" the light by jamming it between the crook of my neck and pillow. About 200 hrs per AA. This is not heavy hard covered friendly though.

stevethumb21

Newly Enlightened
Hello curtludwig

During the days when I used to work far away from home, I had no family or friends there. So, I indulged myself in Books. I too like to go to sleep after reading. So, I order a foldable LED light. The light had an adjustment to clip it on the book itself. It was light weight and brighter. You can get the same from Ebay or Amazon too.

Last edited:

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
You may want to take a look at the LT-1 lantern accessories for Solar Force flashlights, as a starting point ....

+1 on that.

It's a good lantern, well thought out and great fit/finish.
It helps if you already have a Solarforce L2 series but I think the hosts are only about $12. then the drop-in of your choice and the Lantern, Solarforceflashlight-sales I've found to be the best overall. things like a $2 Post and Packing, doesn't matter if you have a single item or twenty it's still only $2.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Zebralight H502- remove the headband strap, 2 nails/screws through the headband slots to fix to the wall.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I'd search for book light on eBay / amazone, used to use them all the time but now I have a tablet.....so I use kindle on that, the beam profile is perfect. (Doh! Of course it is its a screen haha! I was jokeing) I'm not quite that dumb....almost but not quite...

We also use AA powered bulbs that stick on a wall they look like a traditional bulb but have a led inside and are powered by primary or nimh / lithium AA , just stick one with an adhesive pad above ur head on the wall or on a shelf table....

Instant lamp vula! You can also get like desk lamps that have a bendy shaft and a led strip at the top and are powered by AA, any of these would work....

dss_777

Enlightened
AA-battery lantern: Google: CREE 40426 110 Lumens Bright Light CREE XLamp Warm White Camping LED Lantern

Nice warm light, easy on the eyes, good run time (24-48 hours) on 3xAA batteries. About the size of a 12oz Heinecken can.

D-cell lantern: "Nichia 300 Lumens Extreme LED Lantern"

Very bright, multiple light levels. Light color is a little cooler, but lasts a LONG time on 3xD-cell batteries (30+ hours on high and up to 800+ hours on low-low). About the size of the big Fosters beer can.

Both cost in the range of 15-20 bottles of good beer.

Cheers!

curtludwig

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks, that helps a lot, you've given me plenty to think about.

We also use AA powered bulbs that stick on a wall they look like a traditional bulb but have a led inside and are powered by primary or nimh / lithium AA , just stick one with an adhesive pad above ur head on the wall or on a shelf table....
We've got a couple of those including one my wife uses to read, the ones we have use a little incandescent, they throw okay light but are some hard on batteries.

I too like to go to sleep after reading. So, I order a foldable LED light. The light had an adjustment to clip it on the book itself. It was light weight and brighter. You can get the same from Ebay or Amazon too.
My mother is the queen of book lights, I bet she has half of the ones ever made. I hate 'em. Makes the book feel funny.

To all those that posted lanterns, I generally hate electric lanterns, I have 30+ gas and kerosene fired ones... The light I use now I taped foil over one side of to make it more directional. I don't need light thrown all around but it does need maybe a 45 degree beam at a distance of maybe 20 inches. Theres a wall directly behind my head in the bed (which is built into the wall) so positioning is difficult.

Zebralight H502- remove the headband strap, 2 nails/screws through the headband slots to fix to the wall.
This got me thinking, my mother-in-law gave me possibly the best Christmas present she's ever given me last year in the form of an LL Bean Trailblazer LED headlamp. I just checked and it uses AAAs instead of the button batteries I'd first suspected and has tilt adjustment and has thus far lasted many hours on the first set of batteries. I think I'll pick up another one just for this use.

Score!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question has been asked so many times in the past many cannot be bothered to offer you a reply as it gets repetitive typing the same answers.I think a good surf of the past answers will offer you a multiple choice to contemplate.