Space Shuttle Emergency

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was 10 years old, my entire life revolved around space, astronomy, and space flight. I was constantly reading astronomy books, learning about the first astronauts and space flights. Looking at pictures and specs of all the launch vehicles. At that age, I knew...*knew* I was going to be an astronaut and fly the shuttle.

I bought the Space Shuttle's Operaters manual. My dad got me up at 5am to watch shuttle flights. I would sit on the couch watching the news coverage and tracking the launch events, manual in hand. I knew more about the shuttle at age 10 than 99% of adults in America did.

Today, I'm farther from that dream than I was at age 10. Things change, interests change. Space flight and exploration is still something close to me.

Seeing the words "Columbia lost during reentry" as the very first thing this morning gave me two reactions. One was "not again". The other was this sinking feeling that the shuttle program is probably over. I hope above anything that I'm wrong, and will be happy to to be wrong when I see the next shuttle lift off from the cape.

-Darin

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lambda:
Truely a sad day. These souls risked it all so we could learn from the science experiments they performed over the last two weeks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. These astronaunts were brave people. It is very sad to see something like this....they were so close to home too. It's hard to cope with something like this. God bless those astronaunts and there families.
frown.gif

...I dont know what else to say. Like Aragorn said, it is VERY hard to have to wake up to something like this. I woke up hearing this on my radio. VERY sad. ALMOST the same feelings i had when waking up on 9/11.

God bless.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Gun Nut:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Marty Weiner:
Almost 17 years to the day since Challenger blew up on 1/28/86.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Al Qaeda likes anniversaries! But I assume that the insulation debris that came off the main booster during lift-off and hit the wing actually did some damage they weren't aware of.

My personal opinion is 90% chance wing damage, 10% chance sabotage.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please dont take this as a flame, but leave the 't' word out of this. There is no way to reach the shuttle at that point in the flight. NASA can't even communicate with the shuttle during that point. I say 0% sabotage.

Darell

Flashaholic
I lost my post when my connection went down....

Just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of the space program, and I'm used to getting emotional during my visits to the Kennedy Space Center - but this is a kind of emotion that I can do without. Sad, sad, sad.

Since CPF is my main connection with the outside world today, I AM glad that this was brought up here so I didn't read it as day-old news.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Doc Clark, Flight Surgeon, Commander, USN, Wife and Mom

I knew Doc Clark, she was our flight surgeon, VT-86, Penascola, FL. from about 94-96. When she was selected for the Astronaut program she was so excited and we felt the same way. She has a son and a husband, also a Flight Surgeon. Her son was born a few months prior to her selection. She really was the best of the best. She was a professional but she could also be described as one of the "bubbas". She went with us on a det. to Key West for a week and she worked as hard and played as hard as any one of us. She was one of the ladies in the military you never minded having around and you didn't have to worry about what you said or did around her. Doc Clark performed a couple of FULL flight physicals on me. When someone asks me if I knew her personally I can truly say, "Oh yea, Doc Clark knew me inside and out". Laurel was great Gal, she will be missed.

This is another tragic loss for our country. It is no more and no less tragic than the loss of our service men and woman who go in harms way all over the world. I am so proud of Doc Clark and all the other men and women who volunteer to put themselves in harms way every day.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
This terrible loss is a tragedy not just of a national scale, but also a very sad watermark in mankind's entire history of exploration. If indeed the worst is true, my deepest sympathies and condolences go out to the families, friends and countrymen of the astronauts.

Anyone who has watched the Star Trek TV spinoff "Enterprise" will be able to relate this somehow to the poignant opening sequence playing to the lyrics "We've come a long way, getting from there to here...". It quite sweetly encapsulates and chronicles the very beginnings of Man's adventure, from the first seafaring voyagers, early balloonists and the Wright brothers to the Shuttle program (and beyond). The sequence ends with a shot of the space ship Enterprise itself. While we have not progressed to that extent itself, that opening sequence expresses how truly amazing it is, the indomitable spirit of discovery that stirs within Mankind.

The adventurers of our modern day and tomorrow will always have my grateful admiration, respect and awe for their uncommon spirit, bravery and neverending quest to found our new frontiers.

rrtanton

Newly Enlightened
I wish I could do more than offer my sympathies and prayers.

I had such a sinking feeling when I heard this. I've heard for years some experts saying it was only a matter of time before another disaster...that the shuttle as it exists is far from ideal in capability, operating expense and safety. A next-gen craft using modern technology and learned lessons from the shuttle was desperately needed and was being designed, but was abandoned when a critical design element proved unworkable, forcing them to start from scratch. This placed them in the uncomfortable position of being committed to a craft they knew they could do much better than.

Challenger was such a blow to the space program. I share your fears, Evan, that this could signal the end of the program. This is a terrible time for this to occur...not that there is ever a good time for a tragedy. The ISS needs the shuttle, and whatever pressure existed for a replacement surely has just grown exponentially, yet such a craft is many years away.

I have great faith in the people in our space program, and I believe it is critical that we have one which is in some way similar to the one we have now. I believe we have a genuine and even economically profitable future in space. But I worry that the public will now lose the stomach for the expense and risk for some time.

I guess, in the scheme of things, all that is secondary to the loss of this crew.
frown.gif

rusty

DLG

Newly Enlightened
I remembered the images of the Challenger back in 1986. Now another set of images. My thoughts and prayers to the astronauts and their families.

I believe the first teacher since 1986 was scheduled in Nov. this year. I doubt that will happen now. I've already "heard" this might doom the entire shuttle program, except for getting 3 off the ISS and maybe this will be a job for the Russians now.

I also couldn't help but think that our space program was page 17 news for many years, like few care anymore. Its been 30 years since last we walked the surface of the moon. Now this tragedy will have it occupy page 1. A sad time for our space program, all the people invloved with it and especially the families of the fallen.

And please, lets leave terrorism out of this. Its starting to rule our lives of late.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
fcb30a50.gif

God's speed to the crew of the Columbia and my deepest condolences to their families and friends. As this point in history overshadows everything else [for now], I won't elaborate my feelings any further at this time.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Dan...

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumblin mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr. RCAF

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Dammit I just heard about it, first thing that came to mind was that it was shot down but at 200,000 ft.? at 12,500mph? could it be theoretically possible this is an act of terrorism?

Iraqi news says, "Its an act of god, praise Allah"

From what I do kinow its possible but would take some good sized equipment, an act of on board sabotage? just an accident....not when they had the Israeli pilot on board and all the security of that, this stinks big time, my prayers to the families, all of them and if its found to be an act of terrorism......all bets are off, big time.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey:
Dammit I just heard about it, first thing that came to mind was that it was shot down but at 200,000 ft.? at 12,500mph? could it be theoretically possible this is an act of terrorism?

Iraqi news says, "Its an act of god, praise Allah"

From what I do kinow its possible but would take some good sized equipment, an act of on board sabotage? just an accident....not when they had the Israeli pilot on board and all the security of that, this stinks big time, my prayers to the families, all of them and if its found to be an act of terrorism......all bets are off, big time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, it is not possible at all to shoot the shuttle down at that point. We do not posses any form of technology that can achieve that. The shuttle was at 200,000 feet (40 miles) travelling at 12,000 MPH (Mach 16+). I wish people would get off the terroism thing already.

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by evan9162:
Seeing the words "Columbia lost during reentry" as the very first thing this morning gave me two reactions. One was "not again". The other was this sinking feeling that the shuttle program is probably over. I hope above anything that I'm wrong, and will be happy to to be wrong when I see the next shuttle lift off from the cape.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not the end any more than train disasters signal the end of trains, or plane disasters ground every plane, or even auto crashes dooms the automobile. Risks exist. Yes, there will still be life lost in space exploration even when space travel becomes routine (if you could ever call space travel routine). We'll make every effort to make it safer, but minimizing the risks won't entail eliminating the objectives.
smile.gif