Spark SG3, SG5 (16340/cr123, 14500/aa)

crunk master j

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone put one of the SG5's in a Zebralight headband? I wonder if that has a tighter fit?

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
If you are considering purchasing an SG5 that will be used only with an AA NiMh battery, I have a caution for you after evaluating and then returning an SG5 and optional spot reflector.

While reading the excellent reviews by mhanlen (link) and candle lamp (link), I overlooked the regulation of the SG5 on an AA NiMh battery in Turbo mode in this chart (link) represented by a solid green line. Basically, the regulation is a 45 degree line. What I observed agreed with his measurements. With a fresh eneloop battery, I saw only a detectable but small difference in brightness between the max mode of 100 lumens and the turbo mode of 280 lumens. After a short amount of time, I could see no difference between max mode and turbo mode. I needed this model to be a five mode flashlight, and it's basically a four mode flashlight.

My second but only other criticism is the double clicking between turbo mode and non-turbo mode. Half the time I wound up turning off the flashlight instead of changing the mode; it seemed to me that the trick was that there seemed to be such a thing as double clicking too fast and double clicking too slow. I was getting exasperated trying to duplicate that magic rate of double clicking to successfully change modes..

The tint of this cool white unit was very pleasing -- no off-tint at all like green or blue. It was not one of those cool white approaching neutral white, but it was not one of those cold cool white tints, either.

The mule reflector has a slight but detectable hotspot which I think is a pleasing advantage over the Zebralight H502 for certain scenarios.

With the spot reflector, I was disappointed that my results did not quite match 'candle lamp's results in his beamshots. I try to avoid models for my family and myself that have a dim spill in part because of the effect of follow the bouncing ball in some situations. Based on his photos, it looked like the the SG5+spot reflector would have a bright spill approaching the brightness of the spill of the Thrunite Neutron series. Instead, my result was that the spill was not dim but not as bright as I was anticipating.

If you put the clip on, the clip grips the SG5 tightly. I was worried I might damage the clip or scratch the flashlight if I were to remove the clip by hand. So I put some fabric around the tip of a screwdriver, placed that tip between the flashlight and the top of the clip, and then slowly pryed the clip away.

Last edited:

Bela16

Newly Enlightened
Runtime test with one 14500 Keeppower batteries:

I love it:) Tonight i will made a runtime test with an AA batteries. On turbo mode the SG5 works 1:46 hours, it's not bad:)

Ian2381

Enlightened
My Sg5 neutral with reflector is my current go to headlamp, using the zebralight h51 headband and fits great and tight.
My H51 finally can retire to my BOB.

mihail

Newly Enlightened
While reading the excellent reviews by mhanlen (link) and candle lamp (link), I overlooked the regulation of the SG5 on an AA NiMh battery in Turbo mode in this chart (link) represented by a solid green line. Basically, the regulation is a 45 degree line. What I observed agreed with his measurements. With a fresh eneloop battery, I saw only a detectable but small difference in brightness between the max mode of 100 lumens and the turbo mode of 280 lumens. After a short amount of time, I could see no difference between max mode and turbo mode. I needed this model to be a five mode flashlight, and it's basically a four mode flashlight.

If you put the clip on, the clip grips the SG5 tightly. I was worried I might damage the clip or scratch the flashlight if I were to remove the clip by hand. So I put some fabric around the tip of a screwdriver, placed that tip between the flashlight and the top of the clip, and then slowly pryed the clip away.

I got a SG5 and I have noticed the same thing you say about running it on eneloops. There is no supermode when runnig it on AA Nimh! Anyway, I have a 14500 keeppower 840mA that does the job! Is it because of the higher voltage of the Li-ion? Why is it than eneloops cannot handle it? It really sucks that there are only four modes available for Nimh! :(

As for the clip: I put it on (took a lot of pressure to clamp it) and after i read what you had said ... i think will leave it where it is.

wjv

Enlightened
I picked up my SG5 in July of 2014 from GoingGear.

Also bought the optional reflector.

Mine arrived in excellent condition.

- Perfect finish
- Carbon fiber cover does not rotate
- The switch has a distinct (but quiet) click that provides feedback that you have depressed it.
- Has a full 5 modes even on partially depleted Enloop AA (so maybe they addressed that issue)
- The headband work just fine with the SG5 as long as you LEAVE THE POCKET CLIP ON!
- It's super floody. Probably the most floody light i own. And i LOVE IT! Perfect for reading books at night as it illuminates the entire page evenly.

I ordered a bunch of flashlight holsters from some Chinese site several months back. They were about a dollar each. Found one that worked quite well with the SG5.

I had bought a Zebralight 52w a year a go and the tint was puke green. This light is a very nice cool white, but with no blues/purples that some lights have. Just nice white light.