Sportspot 10,000,000 power

kbuzbee

Enlightened
MBW bought me this portable spot last year. It's BY FAR the brightest light I own. It's big, it's heavy and it sucks it's battery dry very quickly but it's UBER bright (and rechargable so the battery is not generally an issue).

My question is, does anyone know what the actual light output is for this unit?? How would it compare to mega lights like the Fenix TK40??

Thanks!

Ken

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
100W H4 halogen lamps are usually in the 1300 bulb lumen range, 2x the lumen output of the TK40. In all honesty, single LED P7 and MCE based lights are no match for big 12V spotlights in this range. Based strictly on lumen output alone, thats 400-550 versus 900-1300 Lumens. Then when you factor in HID that bumps up into the 3000-4000 Lumen range.

Lux can vary greatly depending on the filament and reflector type. Bulbs with the filament arranged horizontally will throw less and flood more than those with the filament arranged vertically.

dsc01854er.jpg

dsc01856a.jpg

A 100W bulb will draw 8.3A (based on the two 100W bulbs I own)
Your spotsport has a 6AH SLA cell
6AH / 8.3A = .72

.72 x 60Minutes = 43 Minutes run times (theoretically)

With a 6AH SLA cell thats a draw of 1.38C.
Factoring in Peukert's law... your 43 minute run times will diminish significantly. It basically says the actual AH capacity of the cell is inversely proportional to the C of the application.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_law

To increase run times, decrease current draw and increase the cell capacity. There are any number of ways to accomplish this, depending on what your preferences are. A 35W HID and a SLA cell swap would be my suggestion. That should run you about $80, but it will significantly increase the weight of the light. But (and heres the good part)... that will be about 3000 bulb lumens from only 1/2~1/3 current draw compared to the OEM 100W lamp!!

*edit* oh yeah what does MBW mean?

Last edited:

kbuzbee

Enlightened
100W H4 halogen lamps are usually in the 1300 bulb lumen range, 2x the lumen output of the TK40. In all honesty, P7 and MCE based lights are no match for big 12V spotlights in this range. Based strictly on lumen output alone, thats 400-550 versus 900-1300 Lumens. Then when you factor in HID that bumps up into the 3000-4000 Lumen range.

Wow, great info. I kinda figured no one would have even heard of this light... Very cool! Thanks!

To increase run times, decrease current draw and increase the cell capacity. There are any number of ways to accomplish this, depending on what your preferences are. A 35W HID and a SLA cell swap would be my suggestion. That should run you about $80, but it will significantly increase the weight of the light. But (and heres the good part)... that will be about 3000 bulb lumens from only ~1/3 current draw compared to the OEM 100W lamp!!

Cool idea. Do you have sources??

*edit* oh yeah what does MBW mean?

My Beautiful Wife!

Thanks!!

Ken

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Wow, great info. I kinda figured no one would have even heard of this light... Very cool! Thanks!

Cool idea. Do you have sources??

My Beautiful Wife!

Thanks!!

Ken

Aah... MBW I have one too, who coincidentally also gave me a 10MCP spotlight as a gift.

Your best resource is the HID & spotlight sub-forum.

I don't want to come across as a Fenix or LED basher, because they DO offer numerous advantages... size, run time, weight, reliability, durability, weatherability, instant-ON power...etc...

Also, there are some DIY'ers out there doing incredible things with mags and M6's, that push OTF lumens into the ~1500L range, but lights in this class will set you back $300-$700. I have held/used a Led Zep modded M6 that did over 1500L OTF and it was friekishly scarry, having this much light in the palm of my hands, with 60 minute run times easily in reach.